Black Adam

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched it the other day and, well... it's fun. In a mindless unsophisticated way.
Some of the action sequences and visuals looked gorgeous and the movie moved along at a respectable pace, so there really wasn't any time to get bored and doze off.
But most of it didn't make much sense. Like, how and when did Black Adam learn english? He starts off in his native, 5000 year old language, and when then he wakes up in the kid's room and speaks accent-free fluent english. Oh yeah, and the kid... I get why they felt they needed the kid, but every single scene with im in it was just absolutely cringe-worthy.
The music in the mid-credits scene was awful and made zero sense.
I did like Amanda Waller's scenes though, she's an interesting character, and her scenes hinted at something a bit more interesting and serious, but unfortunately they (the team around the Rock) didn't manage to find the sweet spot between the more "serious" themes and the goofy one-liners. I wonder if in Zack Snyder's hands (if he comes back) Black Adam can become a better character. I guess it all comes down to who can reign in the Rock.

I watched this wednesday. I liked it, but nothing more than that. It was mindless action.
Pierce Brosnan really stood out as Doctor Fate. The best thing of the movie in my opinion.

Making a Fate movie, with a third of the budget, would have likely been a better narrative choice.

Just tell a good simple story, focus on the character development, hire good actors and make the entire affair something that respects the audience and I fully believe the money/success part will eventually take care of itself in the long run.

What I find tragic about The Rock, IMHO, is he doesn't play to his strengths. He wants to be a family man/family oriented/positive good guy kind of actor and movie star. However I found that his best roles were like Walking Tall and The Rundown and Faster. I get that he didn't want to be typecast as a "heavy" type bad guy, but his strengths on screen fits more of a hard R kind of tone.

The kind of role that would help The Rock would be a John Wick style series, which goes hard R, not much dialogue, and where his physicality and brutality take center stage. But he wants to be the every man kind of actor. It's like he saw The Pacifier with Vin Diesel and decided that was the way to go.

I thought the same thing with The Eternals. When you get a big name like Angelina Jolie, then focus on her, not on a cast of like a dozen people that no one can keep track of and remember. Where is Jolie strong? In movies like Mr And Mrs Smith and Wanted. She was fantastic in Wanted. Sexy, edgy, violent, fun, playful and skilled but also fair, thoughtful and intelligent.

People can say what they want about James Gunn, but he puts actors to their strengths. He's not asking Chris Pratt to be Daniel Day Lewis.

One of the many mistakes in the DCEU was not going full on hard R. If Marvel, Feige and the MCU are dominating the family oriented super hero, then just go full dystopian and embrace the adult audience. Modern "blockbusters" today like to tip toe around everything. Too afraid to say or do anything too offensive outside of the Hollywood "accepted norms" Everyone is too worried about their "personal brand" and trying to curate it to the point where they don't take any risks at all.

Arnie became a huge movie star from The Terminator, where he was the bad guy and shot up an entire police station. I mean imagine The Rock trying to do that today? But if it's a good story, it's well written, it focuses on character development, and it's fair to the audience, then so what.

Black Adam is not a hit because it's a product before it's a movie.

The movie is entertaining and yes fun.

That being said.

Holy crap is the story and world building really REALLY grammar school level bad lol

It’s about as sophisticated as a 3rd grade story book.

This ancient relic just floating in the open air in the easiest walk in mountain tomb I have ever seen yet still undiscovered by anyone.

Think of this movie as if you’re 10 years old crashing your toys together and you will have fun with it.

Go listen to the dialogue exchanges with the intergang mercenaries when the crown is found it is literally grade school level corny hell the entire movie dialogue is grade school BA knows the term catchphrase yikes lol

Go watch how the ground opens up at Hawkman’s estate for the jet it’s as fast as Stark’s nanosuit goes on lol

He fights modern weapons then wakes up in an apartment but still didn’t realize he wasn’t home 5,000 years in the past until he peaked out this kids bedroom window lolololol :slap

This movie is pure trash guilty pleasure fun it even attaches itself to the masterpiece that is The Good the Bad and the Ugly it has zero shames to give lol

Last edited:

That being said.

Holy crap is the story and world building really REALLY grammar school level bad lol

This ancient relic just floating in the open air in the easiest walk in mountain tomb I have ever seen yet still undiscovered by anyone.

Think of this movie as if you’re 10 years old crashing your toys together and you will have fun with it.

Go listen to the dialogue exchanges with the intergang mercenaries when the crown is found it is literally grade school level corny hell the entire movie dialogue is grade school BA knows the term catchphrase yikes lol

Go watch how the ground opens up at Hawkman’s estate for the jet it’s as fast as Stark’s nanosuit goes on lol

He fights modern weapons then wakes up in an apartment but still didn’t realize he wasn’t home 5,000 years in the past until he peaked out this kids bedroom window lolololol :slap

This movie is pure trash guilty pleasure fun it even attaches itself to the masterpiece that is The Good the Bad and the Ugly it has zero shames to give lol
Yeah, I watched the first half of it this afternoon. It's so mind-numbingly stupid it makes Rampage look like Shakespeare. I'll probably watch the rest of it tonight just to see Cavill pop up in the after credits scene. It's his last time suiting up as Kal-El so wth lol...

That being said.

It is entertaining and fun.

Just like sitting in the yard reading a comic book.

Doesn't need to be anything more.

Yeah, I watched the first half of it this afternoon. It's so mind-numbingly stupid it makes Rampage look like Shakespeare. I'll probably watch the rest of it tonight just to see Cavill pop up in the after credits scene. It's his last time suiting up as Kal-El so wth lol...
He actually looks super bad ass real shame lol

The costume really pops.

Watched it tonight on HBOMax. Was pleasantly surprised. I kinda liked it. It was decent enough. The Rock & Pierce Brosnan were good as expected. It was like Aquaman, a fun popcorn flick. Better than most of the DCEU movies. But that's not saying much... :lol

Could've done without the usual comic relief BS. Edit out the fat guy, the scenes/dialogue between the dumb annoying Wonder Twins of Atom Smasher and Cyclone (why was she rainbow colored??), and there's a good movie in there somewhere.

It would've easily been improved if they cast a better actor for Hawkman, but he was passable. For such a rightous character, he was too angry all the time. And they should've used 2 different better known characters over Atom Smasher and the made up Cyclone who was like a clone of Shuri, another young female teenage genius.

Now I just want a Cavil Superman/Rock Black Adam showdown... :pfft:

Watched it tonight on HBOMax. Was pleasantly surprised. I kinda liked it. It was decent enough. The Rock & Pierce Brosnan were good as expected. It was like Aquaman, a fun popcorn flick. Better than most of the DCEU movies. But that's not saying much... :lol

Could've done without the usual comic relief BS. Edit out the fat guy, the scenes/dialogue between the dumb annoying Wonder Twins of Atom Smasher and Cyclone (why was she rainbow colored??), and there's a good movie in there somewhere.

It would've easily been improved if they cast a better actor for Hawkman, but he was passable. For such a rightous character, he was too angry all the time. And they should've used 2 different better known characters over Atom Smasher and the made up Cyclone who was like a clone of Shuri, another young female teenage genius.

Now I just want a Cavil Superman/Rock Black Adam showdown... :pfft:
Her power was so useless and he was a simpleton given a Deadpool mask lol

He's now bragging online that Black Adam is forecasted to outgross Captain America: The First Avenger from 2011. :lol

giphy.gif

He's now bragging online that Black Adam is forecasted to outgross Captain America: The First Avenger from 2011. :lol

giphy.gif
Before adjusting for inflation. The main difference is that CA1 made a profit, while BA... questionable.

Back