Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know much about Dr. Who, but the sculpt on the right looks more human. The left one looks like a figure. Based on that pic.

Don't know much about inART other than they're apparently the next Hot Toys the way people are raving about them. I assume in the same price area or worse? As I try to stay out of that field as much as possible, I'll probably hope for a secondary dream company to pick up the license. I know they'd probably not go for it but I think ThreeZero would do some nice Who figures at a reasonable price point. Their quality has certainly risen in the past few years.

Just received my new 10th Doctor from the original release. I’ll take it out when I get back from vacation, but I will be doing a little repaint of the head.
IMG_4385.jpeg

Here is the KO head next to the original BCS:
IMG_4387.jpeg

Also, I think it was a missed opportunity to not include fish fingers and custard with 11, so I made some to go with my figure.
IMG_4388.jpeg

Just got my Zavvi release 9th Doctor.
It comes with the same QC issues as most with loose buttons and detached coat arm band.
The head sculpt is narrower and taller and has a weird squint on one eye. This may be an issue with the mold becoming distorted as I don’t think it was a choice. The figure is also about 1/2” taller than the original BCS release.
The coat and boots also doesn’t have any weathering compared to the original which has a lot of brown wash.
This figure also cannot wear the V-neck shirts as it has a plug in neck whereas the original is one piece with the torso.
Also missing some paint apps on the hair by the temples.
If it wasn’t for the wonky left eye, I actually prefer the head shape of the Zavvi release version.

IMG_4548.jpeg

IMG_4562.jpeg

IMG_4559.jpeg

IMG_4561.jpeg

The head shape looks better on the ZAVVI alright, but it's pretty rough looking. Maybe a re-paint would rectify the eye issue?
Here’s my attempt at the eye repaint. I didn’t use my magnifiers, so it’s a little rough close up like this, but certainly not as noticeable in person.
I also extended the eyebrows, which made a huge difference as well as shading the lips a bit.
I still need to work on his hairline.
To me, this looks way better than the original and looks a lot more like Eccleston.

IMG_4643.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

Last edited:
Everyone’s probably tired of me posting, so here’s one last video of my collection so far, except I forgot to show my two BCS 9th/10th and 11th Doctor Tardis.
Don’t mind the blue tape as it’s a quick and easy way to keep out the dust until I install some pile weather stripping.

Not BCS, but I just received the Character Options Martha Jones, and like most of these, the pleather jacket has deteriorated.
View attachment 667976View attachment 667977
I pealed off all the pleather, dyed it maroon, then painted it. Not great, but passable.
View attachment 667978
That's actually a great idea! I shall try that.
I got my Martha used back then and she only came with the jacket, no shirt. I only recently found a similar shirt for her, which apparently originally belonged to Michonne from The Walking Dead.

Watch1 - Text.jpg

Everyone’s probably tired of me posting, so here’s one last video of my collection so far, except I forgot to show my two BCS 9th/10th and 11th Doctor Tardis.
Don’t mind the blue tape as it’s a quick and easy way to keep out the dust until I install some pile weather stripping.

View attachment 667989
Very nice display! The blue tape actually helps sell the TARDIS look ;)

OCD strikes again. I wasn’t really happy with the painted Martha jacket, so I purchased some faux leather burgundy material (skirt), drew up a pattern and sewed a new jacket. It’s not perfected yet, so I’ll consider this v1.0.

That looks very good and quite professionally done. My Martha's jacket disintegrated as well. "drew up a pattern" sounds like magic to me. Pattern making is no easy task.

That looks very good and quite professionally done. My Martha's jacket disintegrated as well. "drew up a pattern" sounds like magic to me. Pattern making is no easy task.
Thanks milo1164! I’m still learning how to sew at this scale. For the pattern, I just used the old jacket and took measurements and drawings off of that.
I then scanned the drawings and revised the shapes so they matched up with each other.

I’ve had issues with sewing the sleeves in my past projects, like Captain Barbossa’s coat, but this jacket helped me figure out what I was doing wrong, and now I’m more confident in doing it.

So I guess I’m learning with each trial and error.
It only took me two attempts to get to this stage, while the Barbossa coat took about 8 different pattern iterations and trials since it was more custom.

I drew up a revised pattern for Martha’s jacket which will have a straighter front bottom edge and one bottom seam for the sleeves which is much closer to the real jacket. The original Character Options jacket which I based this first pattern on has a seam on the front and back.

Also, the zipper on this is not actually what opens up as it is near impossible to rezip the zipper I purchased once separated, the back of the jacket is what opens up and closes with Velcro. However, I’m waiting on new zippers which should be functional.

Last edited:
I wish BCS came through with their Captain Jack Harkness as that would have completed my 9th Doctor display. It had a lot of good things going on with the prototype, so I was ready to jump on board. Disappointed to not see him yet as a licensed figure.

I wanted to try my hand at a custom and I had a couple of hours of free time these past two days, so I was able to start a Captain Jack sculpt.
I don’t know where in my many projects this will fall in line at, but at least I have a starting point.

image001.jpeg

image001.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! Many years ago I did this Jack out of a Max Steel figure. I never could find a coat for him. I also would have loved to have a real one, he looked amazing.

P9060014.jpg

P9060012.jpg

P9060016.jpg

Sadly I lost the webley including the holster in an outdoorshooting. I had made sure that the weapon was secure in the holster. How I managed to lose the whole holster from the belt, is still a mystery to me. All that's left are these pictures.

When all the stuff happened with BCS, I was convinced that there were grounds for fraud charges, especially given some information people found on the Facebook page about the liquidators confirming that production hadn't started on any of the pre-orders as well as the launch of not one but 2 waves of Anderson Figures that were never to see the light of day.
I scoured every bit of information I could find posted by BCS as well as Andrews and for the past 5 weeks compiled a 6-page report on the misconduct of the company.
I am no lawyer, so I basically related the information back to the most basic interpretations of fraud when presenting my evidence.

Unfortunately, any claims of fraud against and insolvent company must be presented to the liquidators who then pass it on to LSD (legal services directorate) I, as an individual, cannot escalate it myself.
I understand that they carry out a cursory investigation into misconduct when conducting an insolvency, but they would not have been privy to information gathered from Facebook and forums and even the old production update emails!
So I condensed it down for them and made my case- I now await their response.

On a side note, there is some incredible custom work happening on here right now! Insane quality!

When all the stuff happened with BCS, I was convinced that there were grounds for fraud charges, especially given some information people found on the Facebook page about the liquidators confirming that production hadn't started on any of the pre-orders as well as the launch of not one but 2 waves of Anderson Figures that were never to see the light of day.
I scoured every bit of information I could find posted by BCS as well as Andrews and for the past 5 weeks compiled a 6-page report on the misconduct of the company.

Wow. I suspected as much, but it's still a shock. One cannot help but think it was intentional fraud and not just poor planning that got out of hand over time.

Between all of BCS's factory hopping, I am absolutely SHOCKED that no one got a hold of/stole the molds and made KO figures. I imagine the third party stuff would have honestly been painted better than BCS, oddly enough.

If only the definitive figs got to tooling, then we may have seen them one way or another.

Back