Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I agree that there are no silver linings in this for anyone, what they did still sucks so I definitely agree with the above. No way does that amount of debt just happen overnight…they must have known for a good long while, yet still kept taking orders, giving false promises and generally burying their heads in the sand over it. Pity we will never find out what this ‘reason’ is that they keep referring to.

I thought the go-to reason was 'Covid'? They rolled out that excuse over and over again.

As suspected, he did prioritise that personal loan! There was only just over £9k remaining.

It's actually quite impressive they managed to clear nearly that whole £200k, it might lead one to believe that the company was kept afloat to try and reduce that specific loan down to a manageable amount for one person to pay-off neglecting the other bills he wasn't on the hook for.

View attachment 662677

and still, there are defenders... :cuckoo:
I take it all back. It looks like he was quite savvy business wise. Not in a good way though.

Whilst I agree that there are no silver linings in this for anyone, what they did still sucks so I definitely agree with the above. No way does that amount of debt just happen overnight…they must have known for a good long while, yet still kept taking orders, giving false promises and generally burying their heads in the sand over it. Pity we will never find out what this ‘reason’ is that they keep referring to.
With the spiralling out of control debts they were building up, they must have knew for at least a couple of years how this would play out. And that bankruptcy was the only way out.

Given all of these new revelations, it makes me even more pissed that I never managed to get a 4th Doctor. The Zavvi version was available last year and I could have jumped on it before it was sold out. I deliberately held off because I thought that the premium version was on its way.

Im a yearly attendee at Gallifrey one, cosplay as The Doctor regularly at comic cons, and have traveled thousands of miles to meet the cast at events. So needless to say, im a massive fan of the show. As corny as it sounds, this company's behavior isn't just a massive ripoff to us fans, and what must be some sort of crime; but also seems like it massively disrespectful to the show and everything it stands for. In some alternate reality, there's another company that got the license and we've got figures of all the Doctors. But now we never will.

I thought the go-to reason was 'Covid'? They rolled out that excuse over and over again.

Which angers me all the more, because as often as it's been used, it put the impression in people's minds that Covid is only ever an excuse used by businesses as a smokescreen and anyone even the legitimate who use it for actual health reasons are up to no good. Quite the bitter pill for the ones who might be just trying to stay healthy for their families and loved ones. Whatever your socio-political leanings and/or current health situation, no one likes to be called a liar or made to feel bad for something out of their control. If that *was* just a "convenient crutch" BCS used, anyone involves deserves the bad karma windfall and at least one of them needs a good sock in the mouth for good measure.

So, did any BCS stock turn up anywhere with a heavy discount? I looked in TK Maxx but there was nothing. My usual retailer still haven't discounted their 9 and 10 figures, still £225 each! (Even if they'd been half that they would have been overpriced!)

While I wait for my 10th and 12th figure, I put together another custom 11th. The only original BCS part of this are the hands. Now I just need to find another 9th Doctor for a fair price.

IMG_4325.jpeg

Recipe:
- NEW 1/6 Scale Matt Smith Head Sculpt Doctor Who Headplay (lightened skin tone and rooted front hair)
- Boromir (Version 2) - Nude Body
REDMAN TOYS RM016 Daniel Brown Suit (was originally dark olive, so I bleached it and dyed it brown)
- 1/6 Scale Striped Shirt Model for 12" Narrow Figure Body (dyed light pink)
- 1:6 Black Plastic Shoes Boots Model For 12inch Male HT PH TBL Action Figure Body (painted soles black and weathered)
- Trendy Casual Agent Trench Coat Sets - Pants (Black)
- The Second Mob Boss - Watch

Mop and Fez - quick build with yarn and felt.

Need to add custom suspenders.

Last edited:
Woah, now that is awesome! That outfit looks great, I feel like even as BCS got better with their sculpts, the outfits were always what let these figures down.

That company that does those 1:6 star trek figures needs to get the license. They do some amazing head sculpts...well, at least in their promo shots

Agree but I'm not sure Nanjin would be interested. His passion is clearly delivering the nicest ever made 1:6 Trek from all series, but his business decision priorities are pretty eccentric. I get the impression he's not super interested in a longterm growth plan and Trek is the only thing on his mind. I could be wrong.

I think you're right, I don't think he'd have much interest in Doctor Who. If you look at the show outside of the fandom, just how popular is it? I'm sure there are companies and collectors alike for whom even Star Trek and Star Wars would mean zilch so a little show from England may not ever be on their radar.

Had they been priced more with fans in mind and not collectors maybe the story could have been different.....

With few exceptions Who merch has always been pretty spendy. From what I hear it's an expensive license and the BBC keeps a tight leash. It's not as well known as Trek of course (except maybe in the UK) but in the 70s Baker era it hit pretty big in the US. But it was only in the 2005 reboot it really hit big and went mainstream.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I wait on my figures and still have some Doctor Who inspiration I was able to get another Amy Pond sculpt started as well work on River Song. I was too lazy to sculpt hair, so I just stuck on some premade hair on them and tweaked it a bit, but the one on Amy doesn’t look half bad.

AMY SCULPT1.jpeg
RIVER SONG.jpeg

Last edited:
Just looked at the Shop app and my Zavvi release 12th Doctor from Master Replicas has finally arrived! I’ll take some pics when I get home.
In the meantime, here’s my start on a Rose Tyler sculpt. Still tweaking the likeness but it’s a start.
ROSE SCULPT.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s the BCS Zavvi release 12th Doctor.
Doesn’t look too bad. The head is much darker when compared to the 12th Doctor head that came with the 11th Doctor figure. The hair is also more brown than grey, so a slight repaint is in order. The stand didn’t match my other figures, but I have a few spares.

IMG_4360.jpeg
IMG_4364.jpeg

And here’s a coat I made for a second look with the longer hair head sculpt:
IMG_4367.jpeg

Last edited:
Back