Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I heard, Tennant was only going to be a transition Doctor (probably only a Special), so there would be no need for a new product, but it should for sure reignite interest in his merch for a limited time and help sell that Definitive. Unless of course something has changed in the past 2-3 months I hadn't heard about. Honestly this is a smart move in the interim. Get people talking about Who again using a tried and true star power source and a smoother transition into the next (re)generation.

I can't imagine he won't appear throughout the three specials so he can interact with 15 and inevitably 11.

There's still a whole year to get the special in the bag, which they started in summer, and we know there's no way RTD won't go for a multi New Who Doctor, plus Tom special (please God let his health keep up, not just for Who obviously!) Russell and Chibnall will have discussed the 60th of course so the inclusion of the classic Who Docs in the The Power Of The Doctor probably means that's their contributions done and they won't be in anything next year, apart from Tom.

Capaldi is less sure but my money would be on yes because it would be a short shoot and it would give him a chance to work with a totally different team with whom he doesn't feel animosity. Aaaand of course we know Rose will be back at some point without question. It would be lovely to see Freema and Jack too, if the ridiculous matter of poor Barrowman's unfair 'cancellation' is sorted.

Moreover, RTD has said before he doesn't understand why the BBC has never expanded and done, for example, a limited series of 10 and 11 together. He will definitely be thinking of a Whoneverse like he did for the start of New Who in 2005. It wouldn't surprise me if he's being rather clever and making sure Who is kept alive by making the main series a more 2020s, progressive world as well as regularly catering to the older fans with spin offs. Perhaps David's 14 will indeed BE the spin off to run when Series 14 is over. He'll regenerate into 15 of course but there will be a way to keep 14 around. Certainly what I would do, it seems an absolutely 'no brainer' (ugh, horrible phrase) if they can find the money. Maybe Sony will contribute.

Matt Smith is now obviously a sensation again in House Of The Dragon but he might be able to squeeze in that very limited 3 episode spin off, or do a couple of eps for that long discussed David and Billie spin off series, which would make so many of us happy and content. AND Catherine Tate is always going to say yes to as much Who as possible. All conjecture but makes so much sense. I did guess that 13 would turn into Tennant at the end of the last episode, there was no way they were going with 15 yet so maybe I've locked onto RTD's plans.

I'm sure lots of us guessed what happened too, but you never know. RTD will do anything to save Who and I don't think he'd risk just making a series which will be just too progressive for a lot of us, and indeed the general public.

Last edited:
But aren't they though? Who Fandom is splintered right now in a pool of politics and bad scifi, currently at it's lowest since....well I can't think of when. They NEED a win or the franchise will lapse worse than Star Trek: Enterprise era. Personally I think it's surpassed it. Still a lifelong fan, but I have eyes and ears.

But aren't they though? Who Fandom is splintered right now in a pool of politics and bad scifi, currently at it's lowest since....well I can't think of when. They NEED a win or the franchise will lapse worse than Star Trek: Enterprise era. Personally I think it's surpassed it. Still a lifelong fan, but I have eyes and ears.

...that's exactly what I'm saying? RTD will know and I think he'll want to cater for both.

I noticed in the 'coming next' teaser the 15th is wearing Tennant's new suit, untied in the same place 13 regenerated (you can tell from the sky behind him.) So it's likely Tennant will split in two, therefore 14 and 15 will exist together. Who knows what RTD will do with David to keep disgruntled fans happy.

Where did you see a coming next teaser? (Could be it was cut off when broadcast the first time. Did not stay up for a repeat 4 hours later).

Personally, I think bringing Tennant back for a couple episodes and returning to the 1970s logo screams desperation.
Yeah kinda feels that way, although it could also just be that RTD really wanted to work with Tennant again.

Can't say I'm feeling all that hyped at the moment though. Obviously I loved Tennant's original run on the show, but Capaldi took it to such a greater height with his dark and tragic Doctor, that going back to the wacky "best friend" Doctor (which Whittaker already spent the last four years playing herself) just doesn't interest me nearly as much anymore.

tl:dr: Doctor Who has been f**ked for years now. Russell T Davies might actually be successful in renewing it though. The future seems surprisingly bright.

Of course it's desperation! It's blatantly so because they have to do everything to revitalise the show, What else can they possibly do?!

Doctor Who has declined spectacularly since Peter Capaldi took over. It's agist I know but it's also human nature; the wider public was used to a man in his late 30s/40s (yes Matt Smith was younger but seemed weirdly older than both 9 and 10.) The new female audience which really grew in the USA from 2009 wanted a quirky sexy guy, as did the gay audience (hello!) Peter is an amazing actor but his casting was a mistake. He even looked quite a lot older than his 55(ish) years, people began to switch off. Again, Peter is fantastic and in a fair world his tenure should have been a sensation but just as people don't want an old looking James Bond, they don't want an old Doctor. A 50 year old could easily play him for sure, but they'd need to have a young energy, which Peter just doesn't have.

By now after Jodie's era (her dreadful performance, the awful writing, the inexperienced new production team made up of young lefties, and the over zealous wokism killed it deaded) and I don't think a lot of people quite understand just how bad things are, Doctor Who is absolutely destroyed. The BBC managed to go from having a huge international sensation, including in the USA from 2009-2014 to an irrelevant little show with such minuscule viewing figures in America and around the world that it would normally have been cancelled years ago.

Toys don't sell and are barely produced. Big Chief can't sell 500 1/6th scale figures of major characters and indeed Doctors. They used to sell out over 1500 of each figure very quickly during the good times. Companies just aren't interested in buying toy licensing for Who which is why we get a Big Chief figure once every thousand years and those little niche figures which are made for B&M. Even Funko, yes Funko Pops have stopped making anything Who. They make everything, so much so I'm expecting them to call to make a figure of me any day now. No one is interested in investing in Doctor Who. Even Star Trek has managed to keep up with merch, especially recently, and that show is almost dead too.

It's only because the show is made by the BBC with tax payer money that has just about allowed it to survive. It's absolutely true the BBC was very close to cancelling it. That option was on the table. Russell T Davies could see what was happening and knew it was about to be canned so he's stepped in again to save it, as he actually said he would do (something in a book, and I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like I'll be back when the show is in deep trouble, despite denying he'd ever return in media interviews.) Even Julie Gardner and Phil Collinson are back too. the magic trio.

I didn't think I would ever care about future Who ever again, but with Tennant back and Ncuti seeming like a great actor, as well as a great personality in real life, I think things could actually be looking up. I've already written about how I expect RTD to launch a 'Whoneverse', to do stuff with David, Catherine and probably Billie for more than the 60th. I'd bet my house he's planning a spin off with them, and or other characters, to supplement the main show which will obviously be very '2023' politically, although hopefully not preachy like Chibnall's writing, which really might pull in new audiences.

They're certainly treating this like a relaunch. Even Ncuti explains what Doctor Who is on their twitter account, like no one has ever seen it before. They'll treat it as a total reset and RTD knows how to make things 'cool'. In stark contrast to Chibnall and Jodie who made the show completely uncool and irrelevant.

It would have been better to rest the show after Capaldi and be bringing it back now but still, the 'desperation' is required as long as the new/old team can revitalise it which I actually think they might! From the tiny little teaser the show looks expensive again after years of looking cheap as hell and RTD's involvement has managed to pull in Disney+ for international distribution. That is massive and would never have happened without him.

The future looks rather bright and I'm amazed.

Last edited:
I'm a woman. I LOVED Peter Capaldi in Torchwood's "Children of Earth". I was excited when he became the Doctor. I am nearing my 50s myself and always have loved actors that are older than me. I am not the target audience for teenager shows like "Smallville". I tried, high school drama does not interest me.

I did switch off Who during Capaldi's era for the reason that his Doctor felt harsh and mean to me. He would say things like "I don't know why I am even helping you". You always got the feeling he did not want to be there. Ten was so excited about everything and called the ugliest alien "Oh you beauty".

My friends who are not Tennant fans tell me that Twelve was closer to the classic Doctors. I am also currently making my way through the Third Doctor and while he also often says things like "You have to do it my way because I am way more clever than you Earth people" he does say it with charm which makes a huge difference.

I believe it was right in one of the first episodes where Twelve called Clara ugly and fat. That is not the message I want in my children program! Again British friends tell me this is just friendly jabs between friends and they would talk like that to their friends too.

In school I have been bullied a lot. I certainly know the difference between friendly jokes and mean jabs. Therefore, I disliked Twelve.

I already almost had switched off during season seven. I came to like Matt Smith pretty quickly, but Moffat's over complicated writing sucked the joy out for me. I have no idea how children were supposed to understand all this forward and back in times and who marries whom and who is the daughter of whom. I want simple stories with a happy end and a message perhaps.

So yes, I am am super hyped at the moment. Not only for David but also for RTD and the new Doctor because I know he can write stories that do move you and love the characters, also the side characters (I never really liked Clara nor Amy). Have you seen his "It's a sin"? I actually want to watch more non sci-fi TV series just because they are written by RTD.

Consider me back on board! I also will use the time of the one year to do a re-watch and talk my friend into watching it with me for the first time, so she is up to date when the 60 years special comes along. I was in the cinema for the 50th special and it was epic. I certainly plan to go to the 100. special as well. I will be 90 then and tell all the youngsters "Well, back in MY days..."

I'm a woman. I LOVED Peter Capaldi in Torchwood's "Children of Earth". I was excited when he became the Doctor. I am nearing my 50s myself and always have loved actors that are older than me. I am not the target audience for teenager shows like "Smallville". I tried, high school drama does not interest me.

I did switch off Who during Capaldi's era for the reason that his Doctor felt harsh and mean to me. He would say things like "I don't know why I am even helping you". You always got the feeling he did not want to be there. Ten was so excited about everything and called the ugliest alien "Oh you beauty".

My friends who are not Tennant fans tell me that Twelve was closer to the classic Doctors. I am also currently making my way through the Third Doctor and while he also often says things like "You have to do it my way because I am way more clever than you Earth people" he does say it with charm which makes a huge difference.

I believe it was right in one of the first episodes where Twelve called Clara ugly and fat. That is not the message I want in my children program! Again British friends tell me this is just friendly jabs between friends and they would talk like that to their friends too.

In school I have been bullied a lot. I certainly know the difference between friendly jokes and mean jabs. Therefore, I disliked Twelve.

I already almost had switched off during season seven. I came to like Matt Smith pretty quickly, but Moffat's over complicated writing sucked the joy out for me. I have no idea how children were supposed to understand all this forward and back in times and who marries whom and who is the daughter of whom. I want simple stories with a happy end and a message perhaps.

So yes, I am am super hyped at the moment. Not only for David but also for RTD and the new Doctor because I know he can write stories that do move you and love the characters, also the side characters (I never really liked Clara nor Amy). Have you seen his "It's a sin"? I actually want to watch more non sci-fi TV series just because they are written by RTD.

Consider me back on board! I also will use the time of the one year to do a re-watch and talk my friend into watching it with me for the first time, so she is up to date when the 60 years special comes along. I was in the cinema for the 50th special and it was epic. I certainly plan to go to the 100. special as well. I will be 90 then and tell all the youngsters "Well, back in MY days..."

If one can stomach a very gay story, and I think they should, not for woke reasons but because it's a genius work and really important stuff. A bit of gay sex ain't a big deal, we've had to put up with straight sex everywhere forever. I definitely recommend it and I promise everyone will be moved by it.

Queer As Folk, the original UK one was also genius. Worth watching too.

Obviously RTD writes amazing none gay stuff too. Years And Years was great, even though I don't subscribe to the politics it was pushing.

The Second Coming with Christopher Eccleston about the return of Jesus (or is he?!) is essential.

Lots of other stuff one can search wiki for.

I completely disagree with RTD's politics and sometimes he goes too far publicly which is divisive as hell, but we can't allow politics to rip us apart, although unfortunately many disagree. I work in media, shamelessly centre/right wing and god, it's like I'm the devil. It makes life hard but I refuse to hide who I am. I never judge anyone with different ideas however. Anyway, I digress. It does look like RTD is going to save Who using a couple of methods and that's all that matters, I just hope he doesn't preach too hard. He didn't in the past.

I've only seen the American "Queer as Folk" version and I truly loved it and all its characters. I also learnt so much about the gay community and the problems they have to deal with. It's quite educating. I even had a ticket for a German convention once that then fell through. I never got around to watch the original for comparison but it is on the list.

In "It's a Sin" he manages to make all the characters instantly likeable. Which is important if you only have 5 episodes. Quite interesting to watch this with the recent pandemic in mind, and seeing similarities of those that try to warn and those that dismiss it all as a hoax. It must have been frightful times.

I want to watch stuff where I care for the people and what happens with them. I'm old enough by now to know what I like or don't like.

I'm currently making my way through what we consider classic Nineties Star Trek now. I tried and will stay away from the modern recent series. They are not for me.

tl:dr: Doctor Who has been f**ked for years now. Russell T Davies might actually be successful in renewing it though. The future seems surprisingly bright.

Of course it's desperation! It's blatantly so because they have to do everything to revitalise the show, What else can they possibly do?!

Doctor Who has declined spectacularly since Peter Capaldi took over. It's agist I know but it's also human nature; the wider public was used to a man in his late 30s/40s (yes Matt Smith was younger but seemed weirdly older than both 9 and 10.) The new female audience which really grew in the USA from 2009 wanted a quirky sexy guy, as did the gay audience (hello!) Peter is an amazing actor but his casting was a mistake. He even looked quite a lot older than his 55(ish) years, people began to switch off. Again, Peter is fantastic and in a fair world his tenure should have been a sensation but just as people don't want an old looking James Bond, they don't want an old Doctor. A 50 year old could easily play him for sure, but they'd need to have a young energy, which Peter just doesn't have.

By now after Jodie's era (her dreadful performance, the awful writing, the inexperienced new production team made up of young lefties, and the over zealous wokism killed it deaded) and I don't think a lot of people quite understand just how bad things are, Doctor Who is absolutely destroyed. The BBC managed to go from having a huge international sensation, including in the USA from 2009-2014 to an irrelevant little show with such minuscule viewing figures in America and around the world that it would normally have been cancelled years ago.

Toys don't sell and are barely produced. Big Chief can't sell 500 1/6th scale figures of major characters and indeed Doctors. They used to sell out over 1500 of each figure very quickly during the good times. Companies just aren't interested in buying toy licensing for Who which is why we get a Big Chief figure once every thousand years and those little niche figures which are made for B&M. Even Funko, yes Funko Pops have stopped making anything Who. They make everything, so much so I'm expecting them to call to make a figure of me any day now. No one is interested in investing in Doctor Who. Even Star Trek has managed to keep up with merch, especially recently, and that show is almost dead too.

It's only because the show is made by the BBC with tax payer money that has just about allowed it to survive. It's absolutely true the BBC was very close to cancelling it. That option was on the table. Russell T Davies could see what was happening and knew it was about to be canned so he's stepped in again to save it, as he actually said he would do (something in a book, and I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like I'll be back when the show is in deep trouble, despite denying he'd ever return in media interviews.) Even Julie Gardner and Phil Collinson are back too. the magic trio.

I didn't think I would ever care about future Who ever again, but with Tennant back and Ncuti seeming like a great actor, as well as a great personality in real life, I think things could actually be looking up. I've already written about how I expect RTD to launch a 'Whoneverse', to do stuff with David, Catherine and probably Billie for more than the 60th. I'd bet my house he's planning a spin off with them, and or other characters, to supplement the main show which will obviously be very '2023' politically, although hopefully not preachy like Chibnall's writing, which really might pull in new audiences.

They're certainly treating this like a relaunch. Even Ncuti explains what Doctor Who is on their twitter account, like no one has ever seen it before. They'll treat it as a total reset and RTD knows how to make things 'cool'. In stark contrast to Chibnall and Jodie who made the show completely uncool and irrelevant.

It would have been better to rest the show after Capaldi and be bringing it back now but still, the 'desperation' is required as long as the new/old team can revitalise it which I actually think they might! From the tiny little teaser the show looks expensive again after years of looking cheap as hell and RTD's involvement has managed to pull in Disney+ for international distribution. That is massive and would never have happened without him.

The future looks rather bright and I'm amazed.
Bill.gif

There was nothing wrong with Capadli. The awful political woke writing that was creeping into the show at the time was the problem.

There was nothing wrong with Capadli. The awful political woke writing that was creeping into the show at the time was the problem.

Well, he certainly disappointed absolutely every woman I know. Anecdotal yes but true all the same. Plus so many ladies online who used to watch Who say they were put off when Peter was announced.

It’s like for a straight guy, you’re watching Baywatch and Pamela Anderson is suddenly replaced by Bella Emberg, do you tune in quite so often?

Ok, I’m being hugely facetious but you get what I’m saying. Human nature is human nature and we like attractive people. Peter’s not ugly obviously but he’s certainly not someone for a big female fan base to swoon over. If Jodie had regenerated into Peter this week would the reaction have been quite the same? Yes, David was around for longer, had much better stories etc etc. But if people loved Peter and it was just the wokeness which killed it off (which I agree was probably about half of the problem) then surely you’d expect the same elation? And we know that wouldn’t be the case.

There are exceptions to every rule. If (when) Tom Baker appears in the 60th specials every single human being will cry tears of joy. He’s a very special case. But sexuality is extremely important whether conscious or not and I’d argue with you to the ends of the earth that Peter not being a hot guy was the beginning of the end for Who worldwide (and yes I know Matt isn’t conventionally handsome but he’s very attractive all the same.)

Of course it was Chibs and Jodie who really killed it dead. Quite impressive how one can start with 10 million viewers and end up with 3 in as many seasons.

Times have certainly changed in the New Who era. The idea of "sexy" was never really first on my (or probably most) minds back in the 60-90s era. Sure some of the companions were a bit of eye candy. Show a little leg here. And some of the Doctors were handsome. But not really sexy. It was a different time, complete with wobbly sets and actors fresh from doing Shakespeare. Not models. Probably why I found Capaldi so fresh but oh so back to the basics. His stern Doctor persona harkened back to earlier times, but of course he was still "kind" underneath it all. No he's not Baywatch material. But he was a great Doctor. Honestly, yeah I know he can be vain at times, but nowhere near Master level. And let's face it. If you're surfing time and space for eternity with the ability to live countless lives, talk to people you've always wanted to meet, see things no one else can see, you're going to be a little vain and above it all. It was always the companions that grounded the Doctor.

Last edited:
I’m female and Capaldi is my absolute favourite Doctor of the new era. Probably because he’s like a ‘mash-up‘ of the early classic Doctors - he was great IMO and I was gutted when he left. I hated the way most of the companions were nearly always fawning over 10 & 11…not my cup of tea at all but different strokes for different folks and all that! :)

I’m female and Capaldi is my absolute favourite Doctor of the new era. Probably because he’s like a ‘mash-up‘ of the early classic Doctors - he was great IMO and I was gutted when he left. I hated the way most of the companions were nearly always fawning over 10 & 11…not my cup of tea at all but different strokes for different folks and all that! :)
Yeah i hated that silly lovey-dovey storyline with Rose. It diminished the alien mystique of the Dr and made him much too human.
Alas sex sells...and the show sold it's soul to gain more viewers.

^ Agree completely - that was the worst, I really don’t get all the love for the whole ‘10 and Rose’ thing that some of the fanbase seem to have at all.

Back