Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i hated that silly lovey-dovey storyline with Rose. It diminished the alien mystique of the Dr and made him much too human.
Alas sex sells...and the show sold it's soul to gain more viewers.
^ Agree completely - that was the worst, I really don’t get all the love for the whole ‘10 and Rose’ thing that some of the fanbase seem to have at all.
Finally! I've always hated that. But to be fair, I've always hated such pairings. The extremelly exceptional one, and the mundane other who "grounds" them. Bleh. I don't like it when the Prince/Princess marries the servant girl/stable boy, and I don't like it when the god gets with the plainclothes gal from [current day]. I've hated such stories with a passion since I was a wee lad. It's one of the reasons why I never got into Superman, or most usual capestories. Everyone just had to have a civilian love interest for drama. I get the explaination behind it, that they're their anchor to the world of the little people lest they go all Sauron, but I don't find it logical. Such a massive difference in the power dynamic spells catastrophy. So while 10 was the first one I came across, as time went on I gravitated more towards 11. I like 12's jerky demeanor (I am the same guy who loves himself some Doom, Namor and so on...), but I wasn't a fan of his love arc with Clara. It was even more ridiculous than 10's.

"Ugh Clara, I am old now, and not young and spry (with a reportedly big cock) like before, when I was wearing bowties; could you ever love me or will you just keep getting pumped by that awful Chad soldier, ugh, why won't you see me Clara, stop getting mating pressed by that soldier scum, he's too vulgar and violent, not a gentleman scholar like myself, ugh"

Bleh. Beyond my disgusting little write-up I get the whole arc, but it just soured me on it. I liked the rest, but... I did PO the Definitive 12 and paid it off, for what it's worth. But concerning the NuDocs, I tend to favour 11 more these days. He had his annoying bits too, with being a hyperactive manchild (reminded me too much of myself, I am ashamed to admit) and that annoying River Song. But when Smith was allowed to act like an extremelly old being, equal parts doting grandpa and war criminal, he was top notch. 10 always seemed too absorbed with being a "sadboy" and a hypocrite when it came to violence. 11 was more "mature". I've got both figures of him, but had BCS re-released his 7B costume as a Definitive, I'd have bought it again.

Well to be fair, it's hard to see how any woman traveling with the incredibly charming and charismatic Tennant or Smith wouldn't eventually fall hard for them. So I can't blame the writers too much for wanting to lean into that, since it's a pretty natural and human response. But it did obviously get old after awhile.

Which is another reason to be grateful they're bringing back Donna instead of any of his other lovestruck companions.

I was OK with the Rose triangle. It was new and fresh. And somewhat believable. The Doctor has to fall hard for someone *eventually* why not now. But then it went on and on through *almost* every companion. Which made Donna all the more believable. She loved the Doctor in a whole other way, as the escape into adventure and a better life. Rose was his one great love. Everyone else didn't measure up and probably never should have happened in the first place. Though the unrequited angle wasn't *too* bad.

I'm opposed to the concept itself. Of course mortals will fall in love with a god, but I'm against the god/dess responding in kind. If the gals in question were at least some outstanding geniuses or whatever other extraordinary thing, fine. But a god falling in love with some rando civvie? Ugh. Always hated it, always will. I subscribe to the Sinister School Of Coupling!

RCO017.jpg

I was OK with the Rose triangle. It was new and fresh. And somewhat believable. The Doctor has to fall hard for someone *eventually* why not now. But then it went on and on through *almost* every companion. Which made Donna all the more believable. She loved the Doctor in a whole other way, as the escape into adventure and a better life. Rose was his one great love. Everyone else didn't measure up and probably never should have happened in the first place. Though the unrequited angle wasn't *too* bad.
Rose was just a silly infatuation, a play thing. Susan's Granny was his one true love...
I'm opposed to the concept itself. Of course mortals will fall in love with a god, but I'm against the god/dess responding in kind. If the gals in question were at least some outstanding geniuses or whatever other extraordinary thing, fine. But a god falling in love with some rando civvie? Ugh. Always hated it, always will. I subscribe to the Sinister School Of Coupling!

RCO017.jpg
Pretty stupid alright, a 900 year old alien who's been to every corner of the cosmos suddenly falls for a teenage earth girl who's got a big old crush on him:giggle:

Rose was just a silly infatuation, a play thing. Susan's Granny was his one true love...

Pretty stupid alright, a 900 year old alien who's been to every corner of the cosmos suddenly falls for a teenage earth girl who's got a big old crush on him:giggle:
Procreation doesn't always equal total infatuation. Ask my parents 😉

That's why I always liked how weirded out Eleven was most of the time by Amy and Clara's infatuation with him. That felt much truer to the Doctor to me than Ten's relationship with Rose, and plus it was just a lot more fun to watch.
I found Smith a breath of fresh air, with his natural quirkiness and eccentricities. His first season remains my favourite of nu-who.

Yeah I definitely prefer my Doctors to be odd and quirky and very alien, which is something you very much got with Smith and Capaldi. Unfortunately I get the sense Gatwa is going to be more in the vein of the super warm and friendly Tennant again.

And with Disney involved now, that's probably the only kind of Doctor we're ever going to get for awhile.

Rather than battle Zavvi’s clueless customer service, I rolled the dice and ordered another Fourth Doctor after receiving 10 by mistake the first time. It just arrived—boxed totally differently than my last order — and it’s the right one. So they do exist.

Last edited:
Yeah I definitely prefer my Doctors to be odd and quirky and very alien, which is something you very much got with Smith and Capaldi. Unfortunately I get the sense Gatwa is going to be more in the vein of the super warm and friendly Tennant again.

And with Disney involved now, that's probably the only kind of Doctor we're ever going to get for awhile.
I had the impression Disney is just streaming, will they have any say in the way of actual content?

Rather than battle Zavvi’s clueless customer service, I rolled the dice and ordered another Fourth Doctor after receiving 10 by mistake the first time. It just arrived—boxed totally differently than my last order — and it’s the right one. So they do exist.
Wow really? I was tempted to do the same since they still have it up for preorder, but assumed they just hadn't updated the site yet.

Is the quality decent enough? Any glaring issues like others have had?

Wow really? I was tempted to do the same since they still have it up for preorder, but assumed they just hadn't updated the site yet.

Is the quality decent enough? Any glaring issues like others have had?

I’m really pleased. Maybe I got lucky, but mine has no problems so far. Good paint, decent joints, all buttons present. It’s everything I hoped for when the re-issue was announced. I kinda can’t believe it. Much prefer it to the original release.

My only complaint is that this one came in a larger box, rather than a fitted shipper, so one corner of the figure packaging is a bit crumpled.

Disney as a partner with the BBC is horrifying. It's like some middle class white woke woman with two heads, both called Karen, has taken over.

I really hope it's true Disney don't have any overriding control and that American influence doesn't creep in. Who just has to remain entirely British. Not that the BBC is any better at all, it's probably worse, and I think Disney might be learning about the woke stuff seeing as everything they're doing is a disaster on their streaming service.

Even though RTD is also super woke, I don't think he hates white people, as is common and indeed 'acceptable' for that crowd, so I think he'll use diversity in the positive way it should be used and moreover I think he'll have a lot of interesting plans for the show, as well as spin offs already in the works.

We can hope! This is make or break for sure. We're back in 2005 where had series one flopped that would have been it. I think it'll be the same for Kcuti's first series.

Obviously the 60th will do very well in the meantime and of course the draw of Tennant, along with the other inevitable appearances, and with Kcuti and the new style for the series running through the specials it might just retain a big audience as a result . That's their strategy anyway, clearly.

Last edited:
Back