Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

Moving eyes are usually more of a pain in the ass than they are worth, and in my experience even when done well often only look good/right in one or two positions anyway. I guess we'll find out how well, or not, this works to bcs stuff when the definitive/s18 Fourth Doctor hits.

Agreed. There are a few figures where it feels like a worthwhile feature to have (like on a Batman or Alita), but I really don't see the need for it on a Tennant Doctor. And I hope it's not something they plan to use on all of these Definitive figures. Especially given that BCS quality is still pretty far from HT at the moment.

I honestly think they are in really danger of overplaying their hand with Doctor Who.

There is real fatigue amongst fans, who are awaiting a lot of pre-orders, and I can't see them putting down money for definitive editions until the backlog clears.

There's also the risk that if the cheaper re-releases come out and are of a good standard, are they going to oversaturate the market? There's a limit to how many people are willing to spend this much money on 1/6 Doctor Who.

Not being negative as I really love Big Chief products, but I'm just curious as to how well received this is going to be.

I know this probably doesn't belong in a Tom Baker thread, but here's a preview they just showed of the new Definitive Tennant sculpts. And apparently they're going to incorporate moving eyes into these as well (which I can't say I'm too crazy about now after seeing how terribly that turned out on my Asmus Gandalf...)

View attachment 508967

View attachment 508968

The moving eye system works great on masked/make-up wearing sculpts like Batman,Joker Maul etc but i can see these being a disaster. BC are still only learning to do adequate looking paint apps never mind anything else.
Their Roger moore sculpt is excellent and if the new WHO sculpts could match that in likeness and paint, i'd be more than happy.
Also given that definitive series comes with two sculpts it would be easier to just paint one with the eyes looking in a different direction.

Eh, not very good so far. Looks like a caricature of 10. Honestly, I thought their 2nd release with the blue outfit had a great sculpt and just needed good paint(common theme). Moveable eyes is cool in theory, but looks really weird when not pulled off well
Looks cartoony alright...more like Tennent from the animated Dreamland episode...

I honestly think they are in really danger of overplaying their hand with Doctor Who.

There is real fatigue amongst fans, who are awaiting a lot of pre-orders, and I can't see them putting down money for definitive editions until the backlog clears.

There's also the risk that if the cheaper re-releases come out and are of a good standard, are they going to oversaturate the market? There's a limit to how many people are willing to spend this much money on 1/6 Doctor Who.

Not being negative as I really love Big Chief products, but I'm just curious as to how well received this is going to be.

Agree there alright...too many pre-orders/unveilings and things in the works and not enough in-hand product.

I'am really excited for these. I only planned on getting 12th but base on those pictures if they are all like that, i'm getting the all set. I think the likeness is spot on, especialy on the serious sculpt. I'll agree there is something a bit off but that surely the combinaison of being a picture of a 3d render and in b&w. Once in hand and painted it should look good. I'm glad to finally have a figure with expressions.

As for the pers system i think its a nice feature. We'll se how it turns out on 4th and if its awful i'm sure there will be enought time to remove it from the new ones.

As for the number of pre order once again i don't see a problem with it. Thats how they all do it. The only thing that matter is to have the figure in hand and that it looks good. If they can give 3rd with only a 9 month delay because of covid, i'm sure every pre order now will arrive on time or with acceptable delays.

And i think it was the right move with the zavvi figures. You have one last chance to have the new who doctors way cheaper than what some of them goes on eBay and cheaper than the definitive edition.

You have to gave bcs credits. Their paint apps are now very good (8th was good, their latest bond were good, 13th and 3rd are also very good). They finaly are on time in term of production; months delay because of a global pandemic oppose to years for no reasons or changing factory.

Envoy? de mon SM-A505FN en utilisant Tapatalk

Yeah, I won't bother. I've been over DW for years now. They might be better, but they won't be HT quality, and the prices are even higher than theirs, so I'm not dropping another 600 euros or whatever on figures I already have. They might be better and all, but I'm not made of money. I'm happy with my 10 fig with Tennant's autogaph and the two 11s I own. I wish I had Smith's autograph as well, but... I'd only get a 12, if they're doing one, because I missed out on the first one.

I haven't dipped into Dr Who yet.... but I might with the Definitive Line, depending on price and how much better they are then the previous figures.

But even if they are exceptional, I get priced out at about $250. And I have a feeling BCS will price these higher to start.

If that's the case, my only hope is a severe discount like they did with Goldfinger a year or two later. Or a Zavvi deal many years later.

I haven't dipped into Dr Who yet.... but I might with the Definitive Line, depending on price and how much better they are then the previous figures.

But even if they are exceptional, I get priced out at about $250. And I have a feeling BCS will price these higher to start.

If that's the case, my only hope is a severe discount like they did with Goldfinger a year or two later. Or a Zavvi deal many years later.
I can see the 4th doctor is at 320$ on US website so.. I also think that the definitive edition are a bit too expensive. But with 2 fully different heads, and if the other also come with signature edition, it kind of make up for it. With such a low edition and doctor who 1/6 being so niche the price will never be lower. Unfortunatly the price doesnt reflect the overall quality but the price they have to put to still make benefits.

If they priced better they would not have to do Zavvi sales.

Perhaps a Slim version without the bells and whistles for a more affordable price. They usually have Limited and Exclusive or something like that.

Like i said is not they don't want to price them better, its just that they can't. They barely can't sell 1000 figures even when they came with everything fans wants (lot of accesories, signature, etc.. ). And just removing a few accesories wouldn't drop the price that much and sell that much more.
And the price aren't that bad, outside of the definitive edition, they are pretty much the same as other company. I guess will see before the year end how good the definitive edition really are. It would have been better to have one in hand before ordering the others, but covid delayed everything and they still need to make figures and money.

And its not zavvy sales. Zavvy made a big order to bcs to get these figures. Bcs get money and we get a chance to have version that will never be made again way cheaper.

So are all the 'definitive' Doctors release going to have that awful PERS malarky in them? Also do we have a ball park price yet? I really only want to own a Capaldi. lol

Hmm, gotta say I'm not feeling any of these new sculpts at the moment. And even the outfits look a bit stiff and cheap compared to the originals.

DOCS.jpg

Not a fan of that new 10 figure at all…looks like a cosplayer or something! The rest don’t look too bad. Undecided at present which ones I’ll get, if any. Will wait for more pictures first.

11 is pretty good and 9 is an improvement over the original but 10 and 12 aren't great, in particular 10. Odd since the face sculpts are usually Big Chiefs strong point.

That Capaldi sculpt is a real disappointment, as it's the only one i would have picked up:(

Not liking the GIGANTIC ears on the Tennent sculpt and the visible hair seam at the side of Smiths head. Maybe they'll get a tweaking in production. Eccleston looks the best in that line-up.
The moveable eyes look good...but they may have been digitally rendered for that promo shot...

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

I still need a 9 and a 12, so I'll probably jump on them. My first 11 is pretty old so I could be tempted to get him if I have extra cash (hint: I won't). 10 is... eh. And I already have the first version of that exact look. Dunno, they all look a bit too cartoony.

If money's an issue the Zavvi re-releases of the older figures will cheaper than these. I'm guessing these are going to be very expensive with thr movable eyes, real leather jacket and so on.

They may have been lacking in detail, but I think the basic likenesses on every one of the previous sculpts were stronger than these. Even Eccleston's.

Not sure what happened, since they seemed to be on such a good streak before.

Back