Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #1 William Hartnell

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the struggle they are apparently having in selling classic Who, and given the prices they need to sell these at, they should be offering all the options they can in order to attract potential customers.

By the way, just looked at my pre-order email notice. Did the last Who pre-order have the following licensing acknowledgements attached as well?

BBC, DOCTOR WHO (word mark, logos and devices), TARDIS, DALEKS, CYBERMAN and K-9 (word marks and devices) are trade marks of the British Broadcasting Corporation and are used under license.
BBC logo © BBC 1996. Doctor Who logo © BBC 2009. TARDIS image © BBC 1963. Dalek image © BBC/Terry Nation 1963. Cyberman image © BBC/Kit Pedler/Gerry Davis 1966. K-9 image © BBC/Bob Baker/Dave Martin 1977.

Some of those license specifics are a bit odd considering what has been released thus far, and what we know is being planned in future. I mean the TARDIS I get, because they use the background images of that all the time, even include it as a display option wraparound in the packaging. But some of the others?

Possible indication that K-9 might be coming with the Tom Baker head, perhaps? Or that 'Handles' might be an accessory for the Eleventh Doctor purple outfit variant release? And might we even see a Dalek release on the horizon? Or all just all wishful thinking?

Just have to wait and see I guess...

Good spotting, I had a look at all the old emails from BC I kept and they have the same disclaimer - just the way the license is setup I guess.

I really hope "on the horizon" though!

Well, there you go. Oh well.

Thanks for clarifying though, much appreciated.

"Whilst we are committed to offering each and every regeneration of the Time Lord, the cold hard truth is that New Who outsells Classic Who. These figures are costly items to develop and manufacture, with tooling alone costing tens of thousands of pounds. As such we cannot afford to have large quantities of stock sitting in our warehouse. We are planing Commemorative Editions for the 2nd and 3rd Doctors as well. The ultra-limited edition size results in a higher price, which is unavoidable. So if you want to ensure you will snag one, sign-up today!" - BCS

Hmmm...so if I understand the way the sneak peeks have been going lately we've got 11, 10 and 4 already. 1 is ordering next week, 2 and 3 have been announced as small allocations, 12 has been previewed and I'm sure will hit 1 so we'll be essentially missing 9 and the War Doctor in the NuWho and 5-8 in the Classic. That seems like a lot missing, I'm worried we won't get near the full lineup.

Preorder is set for July 7 @ 6 PM (UK time). That means July 7 @ 10 AM PST.

:yess:

Setting my phone alarm now. These are the only ones essentially I'm still buying.

I've heard that the fingers of the figures are very loosely goosey is it an up or down for the figure

I really like how pliable the fingers are. They still grip really well too.

yup also really easy to swap out the hands, unlike the hot toys fig i have where im swettin bullets thinking the wrist peg is about to break. so easy with the BCS figs, good times.

got The Dalek invasion of Earth from library on dvd! will be my first first doc story, stoked.:yess:

I'm kind of confused. I received an email saying that preorders start on the 7th with a link to pre-order. Then below that it says public preorders on the 8th. Is that 7th date for those who requested to be on the notification list?

Yes. The 7th is for the people who asked to be put on the list. The 8th is the general preorder.

Does anyone have the link from the email that was sent out?

I know I'm not the only one that signed up and have not received anything (including in my junk mail folder).

Seems a bit ridiculous that this goes on sale in a few hours, and yet they still haven't bothered to reveal the full specs and accessory list. The way Big Chief chooses to conduct themselves sometimes, and some of the choices they make, really does make me scratch my head on occasion...

Does anyone have the link from the email that was sent out?

I know I'm not the only one that signed up and have not received anything (including in my junk mail folder).

Check your PM, just sent it to you.

Thanks again. I've always gotten the pre-order notifications in the past so I'm not sure what's going on.

I can't help but think the pre-order date is going to be pushed back...hopefully I'm wrong.

Well, it was already pushed back a fair bit, for whatever reasons (it was originally supposed to be up before the end of May, according to one of their posts on facebook), so who knows. It feels to me like a bit late to pull the pre-order date now, so I think it'll go ahead, unless their website suddenly crashes... :p

Find out in a few short hours, I guess. Here's hoping though. And more than that, here's hoping it sells well enough that they don't get cold feet over the planned Troughton and Pertwee Doctor releases (we know the NuWho stuff is pretty safe).

Hour and a half to go, and pics just posted onto Big Chief's facebook page.

He does come with the hat.

No mention or sign of the proposed replica signature plaque matching previous releases though.

EDIT - Specs are up now:

Specification

• 1 x 1st Doctor Head Portrait featuring an Authentic Likeness of William Hartnell
• 1 x Woollen Astrakahn Hat
• 1 x Long Striped Scarf
• 1 x Cape with Chain
• 1 x Frock Coat
• 1 x Patterned Waistcoat
• 1 x Patterned Trousers with Bracers (suspenders)
• 1 x White High-necked Shirt
• 1 x Cravat Neck Tie
• 1 x Pair of Spat Styled Shoes
• 1 x Pair of Socks Tubes (Partial)
• 8 x Interchangeable Hands
• 1 x Display Base with Illuminating Gallifreyan Symbol & Stand

Accessories

• 1 x Walking Cane
• 1 x Monocle with Ribbon
• 1 x Pair of Spectacles
• 4 x Keys of Marius
• 1 x Dalek Time Core
• 1 x Fob Watch with Ribbon
• 1 x Pipe
• 1 x TARDIS Control Room Printed Card Backdrop (not shown)
• Extra Commemorative Edition Items to be Confirmed (not shown)

See pics at Facebook page here.

Love the hat, but I do worry about it bleeding, and staining the figure over time. Seen that happen too many times in the past (Matt Smith's tie, and the beret on the Expendables Barney Ross, to cite two examples) to not be a little nervous over the thought of using it.

Oh, and I'd imagine that's supposed to be keys of Marinus, unless he's gone back in time and robbed some Roman bloke... :p

The only thing I would seriously advise BCS to do is drop the gimmiky light up stands they don't really do anything to enhance the figures in any way and rather 'cheapen' the overall look.

I would keep the light-up features for a nice 1/6 scale T.A.R.D.I.S. control console like the one he's pictured with :)

Otherwise I think the figure looks really nice and since it's going to be the same price (with the special £10 discount) as 4 and 10 I think I may well get him.

Back