**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I never took it that way. Anakin was dying and Obi-Wan found it too unbearable to watch; he does look away; on top of knowing Anakin was lost - srsly even dying Anakin was screaming he hated Obi-Wan.

I don't see Obi-Wan being able to take that final stroke; Mace Windu might have.
The final blow would have been mercy. A seasoned warrior like Obi Wan would have known this. I have known real life soldiers who have pacts with their close brothers-in-arms to finish them if they're ever dismembered to that point and in agony with no future as an independent being free of pain.

I don't pretend to understand it in the sense that I am highly unlikely to (unless I'm terribly, horribly unlucky) face that scenario from either side, but I can't imagine Obi Wan going *that far* and not finishing the job. Anakin was slowly and agonizingly burning to death in front of him and he walked away.

Not just from his duty to end a deadly threat, but from a former dear friend experiencing an excruciating slow death.

Let that sink in.

Personally, I think it was more weak writing within the context of this scenario and these characters.

It is a weird complex scene,
Or a poorly written one.
The best part of the duel on Mustafar is how the duo change during it. Multiple times Anakin could have killed Obi-wan but he can’t bring himself to kill him either.
I didn't see that, and I've seen the film a few times. It just looked like they were going at it and neither could get the upper hand.
After it happens, it’s done and over with and Obi-wan really lets go and drills into Anakin practically oblivious to him being burned alive.
Right, which is why I charge the film with bad writing. It doesn't really make sense.

Either relent and try to save your broken brother while he's helpless anyway, or finish the horrible task your position and his actions demanded. Don't just walk away.

The final blow would have been mercy. A seasoned warrior like Obi Wan would have known this. I have known real life soldiers who have pacts with their close brothers-in-arms to finish them if they're ever dismembered to that point and in agony with no future as an independent being free of pain.

I don't pretend to understand it in the sense that I am highly unlikely to (unless I'm terribly, horribly unlucky) face that scenario from either side, but I can't imagine Obi Wan going *that far* and not finishing the job. Anakin was slowly and agonizingly burning to death in front of him and he walked away.

Not just from his duty to end a deadly threat, but from a former dear friend experiencing an excruciating slow death.

Let that sink in.

Personally, I think it was more weak writing within the context of this scenario and these characters.
Should have had a visibly impenetrable explosive wall of lava suddenly separating them, as they are torn apart, he assumes his death.

Last edited:

Should have had a visibly impenetrable explosive wall of lava suddenly separating them, as they are torn apart, he assumes his death.
While not 100% it would have at least made more sense and introduced plausible deniability as opposed to:

Yoda: "Finished the deadly threat that our formerly beloved brother and ally presented, you did?"

Obi Wan: : "From a certain point of view..."

Yoda: " ???"

Obi Wan: "Well I cut his limbs off and watched him scream in agony when his mutilated body ignited due to proximity to molten rock, but then I just told him off and walked away. I figured that was good enough, yeah?"

Let that sink in.

This is the same sequence had dudes unaffected by jumping around inches from molten lava, and that spouts the "high ground" nonsense. Reality had long checked out. I agree with you that it's just bad writing. Any notions of heroism, nobility or honour are not there. It's just flashy swords and fake emotionalism at the last moment. That scene is like 7-8 minutes long, between two warriors who are supposedly like brothers. How much do they actually say to each other in the entire sequence? Not very much. Tacked on "you were my brother" stuff at the very end.

Any notions of heroism, nobility or honour are not there. It's just flashy swords and fake emotionalism at the last moment.

It works on young boys of a certain mentality.

I have to kill you because you don't believe it what I believe. Sniff-sniff.

Twitter and much of the internet works the same way.

I agree with you that it's just bad writing.
As many have said, Lucas is a good ideas guy and has his moments with creating spectacle, but he can't write worth a damn and his direction is questionable at best.

It's obvious what he *wanted* to show, but he didn't hand it off to someone who could actually execute that vision.

I've personally worked with directors very similar to Lucas in that sense: great vision, decent ideas, no concept of human depth or how to direct actors.

Forgetting all that came before (for the sake of brevity) if I had my way for that final confrontation between Anakin and Obi Wan, it may have played out as follows:

1. A bitter reckoning in the initial confrontation, accusations and blame being hurled on both sides, intimations of jealousy regarding power, position and even Padme ... ending in stalemate and rage.

2. Stalemate and rage resulting in armed conflict: angry, swift, brutal and to the point. No words left, just rage-fueled warriors at the top of their game given they're veterans of a brutal war and know each other's training and styles inside-out. When fighters at this level go at it outside of a ring, the deciding factors are emotion, luck and terrain (yes, high ground lol). Sometimes it's whoever wants it more, just as often it's a question of who makes the mistake in that one decisive second.

3. The duel would have been quick. I've always respected the treatment Beatrix's final duel with Carradine's character got in Kill Bill Vol. 2. While I understand we need more of a payoff between Anakin and Obi Wan, the nature of their training and their weapons demand a swift and unforgiving resolution.

We saw something similar in the final (animated) reckoning between Obi Wan and Maul.

20220529_010720.jpg

Hey if Disney wants to have a black female lead named sister being accused by the head inquisitor that she is angry and screaming befitting of her gutter origins (Disney words not mine) then more power to them i’ll just sit back and enjoy the lulz.

Her arc will be one where she will either be redeemed like a Disney Store gift card and live or redeemed but still murdered by Vader.

I prefer the latter.

I am curious of her backstory (Jedi temple?).

I personally don’t have a problem with her character she performed adequately enough to convey her hatred and hope of pleasing Vader which will make her death that much more ironic and thematically rewarding to watch in the service of making Vader more bad ass.

Again if her sole purpose is to only make Vader more bad ass then i’m fully onboard.

But if her sole purpose is for political statements you know like maybe a white inquisitor lecturing a black inquisitor that:

“It will not change what you are!”

She asks “And what is that?”

He answers with “THE LEAST OF US!” “You came to us from the gutter!” and then ends with “ALL THE POWER IN THE WORLD CAN’T MASK THE STENCH BENEATH!”

To which she responds back with “MAYBE THAT STENCH IS YOUR FAILURE!”

Insert jye eye roll!

Great thank you Disney for an on the nose racial debate between sith villains which was not needed.

If he is bothered by her “stench” why did he even bring her along it made no narrative sense.

Ughh whatever.

Anyways back to her arc.

Now if she gets redeemed and lives which I think is the more likely scenario then meh.

I hope she bites it by Vader even if redeemed lol

View attachment 579856
The fact that she will be most likely be redeemed will be a huge let down. I will give Disney a lot of credit if the allow character played by a black woman to be a real SW villain. most likely won’t have the balls to do it and thus will ruin the drama and story telling of the series.

I know you know but you know the racist comment was a joke lol.

For whatever reason I did not think of her color when he said that… I thought it was more of a class comment. That she came from humble beginnings ( I missed that she was at the temple).

That could work. So in ANH she thought she was sending a message to "Obi-Wan" (war hero who fought with her father) but then in her cell on the Death Star Luke surprises her by saying he brought Ben (the guy who saved her from kidnappers) to which she was all "wait, what? Where?" which actually does kind of fit with how she delivered her lines.

Not sure how I feel about Obi-Wan using the Force to save her though. It was a nice scene within the context of the show but her comment to Luke in ROTJ that "you have a power that I don't understand, and could never have" always indicated to me that she didn't have first hand experience with people using the Force prior to meeting Luke, and on herself no less.
Just about anything, not called RO, has messed up the OT in one way or another. I just try and roll with the punches now :lol

Back