Better Call Saul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything Chuck did in relation to Jimmy at the end was pretense. He made it look like he was enjoying a calm and prosperous evening. Listening to jazz with the lights down low and drinking wine. I think the things he said to Jimmy were part of that pretense.

By the way, the actor they hired to play young Chuck was fabulous casting. Looked just like a younger version of him. He even sounded like a young Chuck!

I thought the same!

Yeah, you're right about what Chuck was doing. He's just as much of a con artist as his brother!

Third season was excellent, this show just keeps improving. I'm not going to come out and say it's better, but I don't recall Breaking Bad ever being quite so captivating.

Breaking Bad is great but revisiting it sure feels like a chore.

Can't compare them fully until Saul's end but I do like Jimmy more than Walt and while both are despicable I sure find Chuck way more interesting than Skyler.

Breaking Bad is great but revisiting it sure feels like a chore.

Can't compare them fully until Saul's end but I do like Jimmy more than Walt and while both are despicable I sure find Chuck way more interesting than Skyler.

I agree. I mean, the producers wanted to turn Walt into a villain and it worked. Jimmy is so relatable though. G*d d*** they write characters well.

Yeah, AMC wants me to sign in. I don't have any service provider for cable. Netflix it is. :lol

Breaking Bad was overrated! Show was OK but not at any way close to the caliber of what people say "Oh man you have to watch BB it is soon ****ing good!!!"

BCS - is a much more enjoyable show

I never saw Breaking Bad when it was on the air, but I did borrow my friend's DVDs a year or two ago and watched the entire show. I really enjoyed it. I'm tempted to rewatch it on Netflix since they offer it in 4K.

As great as this season of BCS was, and I'd argue it's better than BB's first two seasons, I don't think the show as a whole comes close to the greatness of BB for me... just not yet anyway. I watched BB about four times in all - one Netflix binge, two times on DVD with dad which was an experience seeing him react to things, and then on Blu-ray - and there's so many intricacies that I missed and spotted each time (like the colour theories and Walt picking up traits of people he's killed).

But ultimately what I love about BCS is that they're taking their time in building up and planting seeds the plot threads and characters we're already familiar with from BB, instead of just churning out the all-star fan service non-stop. They could have shown Gus in the first or second season but nope, took their time and his (re)introduction in this season was handled brilliantly (I do want to see his backstory one day).

Saying that, it feels like there's enough story to cover for another two seasons of Saul at least. I remember in season 2 of BB, Jesse said Saul got Emilio (acid bath dude) out of jail twice or something. So we will get to a point where he fully becomes the two-bit bus-bench lawyer we know and love.

In fairness ... Breaking Bad's best seasons are 4 and 5. Season 1-3 are better in light of 4 and 5. BCS Season 3 is on pace with BB Season 3. It's not as good yet. But, it could be by the end.

I'm guessing we get a 'Gene' season. Jimmy doesn't stay on the mat. We'll get to Saul, maybe cover a little overlap of BB time, then leap ahead and watch Jimmy rebuild from scratch again.

I'm guessing I'm missing something ... but I never figured what Saul was running from at the end of Breaking Bad. And, especially now. Why would he stay Gene rather than re-emerging as Jimmy (which may be explained, yet)? Walt's dead. Gus is dead. Mike's dead. The Cartel is dead. The Nazis are dead. Even the major DEA players are dead.

Who's he hiding from? Jesse? The law?

SnakeDoc

I always thought he was running because everyone knew he was Walts lawyer and could possibly find out all his connections. Skyler for one.

Maybe. Still seems shaky. Once they found Walt's body, nobody would be looking for him anymore. Much less looking to interrogate his lawyer to find him. Jesse, Skyler, Marie and Walt Jr. -- the only survivors as far as I recall -- aren't going to be killing or torturing anybody. And, best I could tell from BB, nobody ever made the connection to Saul actually being involved in Walt's criminal activity. As far as everybody knew, he was just his lawyer. Which makes him fairly untouchable by the law.

I'm not seeing who he's hiding from. Especially post-Breaking Bad, when everybody dangerous is gone. There's no DEA manhunt for Saul Goodman.

Then again, we don't know the timetable on the 'Gene' scenes from BCS. Could be between 'Granite State' and 'Felina'. Maybe Walt hasn't been found yet. That would make more sense. Gene can come out of hiding once the death of Walt hits the news.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Good point. also maybe it was as simple as Saul jumping the gun and taking too big of a precaution. I don't think Jack and the nazis had any info on him. Maybe afraid of Jesse, but that seems like a stretch. Connection with Lydia? He may not have known she died and that loose end was closed.

I'm already bracing for the feedback, but I think that's it. I'm done with BCS.

I've been a fan of Mr. Odenkirk since he was the stand out cast member of the Ben Stiller show back in FOX when I was in high school. Followed him over to Mr. And even though I loved the guy I never would have believed he'd be the lead on a critically acclaimed show that made him a household name.

Problem is....the story is so interminably boring. It just meanders. We waste 12 minute segments without dialogue watching dudes mess around with cars. Yeah, I know it's "artsy"....but for me it's just cloying.

I gave this show an honest 3 seasons and 3 episodes and it's far for of a chore to watch then even a moment of enjoyment. Not to mention the elephant in the room, as with any prequel, we know exactly where this is going.

Mr. Odenkirk, I love you and respect you, but I'm sorry, but I'm bowing out here. All the best to your career from here on out.

Back