Best Lightsaber Duel of the Saga

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Lightsaber Fight of the Saga

• TPM - Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul

Votes: 72 34.1%
  • AOTC - Obi-Wan Kenobi Anakin Skywalker & Yoda vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • AOTC - Yoda vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ROTS - Mace Windu vs. Chancellor Palpatine

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • ROTS - Yoda vs. Darth Sidious

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • ANH - Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • ESB - Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • ROTJ - Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 30 14.2%

• Total voters
jungle jom said:
BINGO!!!! Its not just the duel, its what is at stake and what emotions are involved and how it furthers the story arc.

Thank you!

Now if only Chris would post tonight's newsletter, it would further my night's arc considerably...

jungle jom said:
BINGO!!!! Its not just the duel, its what is at stake and what emotions are involved and how it furthers the story arc.

ROTS OB1 vs Anakin had just as much feeling. Anaking hated OB1, while OB1 loved Anakin (and thus could not drive the lightsaber through his skull)

As powerful as Anakin was with a lightsaber, Obi-Wan was deffinately the better with knowing how to use it from a tactical standpoint, more methodical a style, and while yes I am aware they're fictional characters, based on how they're portrayed too us, Obi-Wan seems defensive the entire fight, and the only moments where he seems aggressive, even those look to be moments where he would feel if he didn't strike first he might get caught off guard because he knew there wouldn't be any pauses, Anakin was on the attack and wouldn't cease coming at him for long.

pixletwin said:
ROTJ Luke vs. Vader. It was so satisfying on so many levels.

My second choice would have either been TPM Obi, Qui, and Maul or ROTS Obi and Ani. Those two are too close to call for me.

Im with you too. LOL! This was the best battle. The soundtrack was also the most dramatic.

BadMoon said:
Im with you too. LOL! This was the best battle. The soundtrack was also the most dramatic.

Don't understand you guys that can't see sense when you read it. :monkey5

oh and Badmoon... :rock

MaulFan said:
As powerful as Anakin was with a lightsaber, Obi-Wan was deffinately the better with knowing how to use it from a tactical standpoint, more methodical a style, and while yes I am aware they're fictional characters, based on how they're portrayed too us, Obi-Wan seems defensive the entire fight, and the only moments where he seems aggressive, even those look to be moments where he would feel if he didn't strike first he might get caught off guard because he knew there wouldn't be any pauses, Anakin was on the attack and wouldn't cease coming at him for long.

I feel the same way.... I love how in the ROTS novelization, Mace Windu says he is the true "master" of Lightsaber fighting. That his simple style and stance can modify to defend from any other style out there, and that with the lack of flashy manuevers and fluff he'd attained it without ever realizing it.

DarkArtist81 said:
Best in terms of Emotion and depth? ROTJ...... Father Vs Son. It had such enormous buildup and little skirmishes here and there as Luke dodged his father's attacks and attempted to dig beneath the armor to the man inside. All building up to that moment when he snaps and starts beating Vader back, that haunting music and choir assaulting your ears as he does so... Still gives me chills to this day. The entire saga rests on that precise moment...

I guess I would have to go with ROTJ. :rock

I agree 110% DA!!! Even though its not the most technically amazing or complicated duel it is so poweful. When Luke screams "No!" and starts attacking after Vader talks about tempting Leia to the Darkside I get goosebumps! Its really for me the greatest and most important duel.

But, for fun I think the duel between Qui, Obi and Maul is just fantastic, very exciting but doesn't get boring! And the death of Qui-Gon is very dramatic.

I like the battle in ROTS, but I think its a bit too drawn out... I think Lucas tried a bit to hard. But the defeat of Anakin was very well done.

But anyway, ROTJ is the winner for me :D

DarkArtist81 said:
I feel the same way.... I love how in the ROTS novelization, Mace Windu says he is the true "master" of Lightsaber fighting. That his simple style and stance can modify to defend from any other style out there, and that with the lack of flashy manuevers and fluff he'd attained it without ever realizing it.

DA, that book out trumphs almost anything Star Wars. I love how Mace has a vision of how Palpatine will be taken down just as he is being thrown out the window and he knows that everything will be brought into balance. I just wish they had found a way to convey that in the movie.

galactiboy said:
I agree 110% DA!!! Even though its not the most technically amazing or complicated duel it is so poweful. When Luke screams "No!" and starts attacking after Vader talks about tempting Leia to the Darkside I get goosebumps! Its really for me the greatest and most important duel.

But, for fun I think the duel between Qui, Obi and Maul is just fantastic, very exciting but doesn't get boring! And the death of Qui-Gon is very dramatic.

I like the battle in ROTS, but I think its a bit too drawn out... I think Lucas tried a bit to hard. But the defeat of Anakin was very well done.

But anyway, ROTJ is the winner for me :D

Dude....every single word I agree with.... :rock

pixletwin said:
DA, that book out trumphs almost anything Star Wars. I love how Mace has a vision of how Palpatine will be taken down just as he is being thrown out the window and he knows that everything will be brought into balance. I just wish they had found a way to convey that in the movie.

Same here!! That novelization was the best I think I've ever read. Soo many scenes just came off better on paper than on film, especially Mace's Death, Anakin's turn and Obi-Wan dealing with the Council...

Would have been nice to have a bit more of that in the film....

I picked the one that had the biggest impact on me. And that is Vader and Old Ben. Its the least acrobatic but thats not a big deal to me.

Its a toss up between the Cloud City and Mustafar duels. I chose Mustafar because I've loved ESB for so long its nice to give the limelight to something else. :)

That end duel is just so awesome. I love the sound of those pounding drums when Anakin first goes on the offensive against Obi-Wan. Luke and Vader always seemed like such natural, classic enemies in the OT (less so during the ROTJ fight) but after two and a half movies of being friends the Obi/Ani duel feels the most "wrong", yet at the same time necessary due to what Anakin had become. That feeling of things not being quite right really adds to the visceral impact of the duel.

And its so fantastically choreographed and performed, it has the most hellish landscape, Anakin seems invincible when he flips off of the structure heading over the lava waterfall and then silently approaches Obi-Wan on his little floating droid like some sort of relentless Jedi Terminator.

"I have failed you Anakin, I have failed you..."

The uniqueness of seeing two blue saber blades crossing in opposition.

Two warriors in their absolute prime holding nothing back. Just awesome. I think I'll go watch it right now. :)

EASILY ROTJ Luke vs. Vader for me. It may not have the most flips and moves as in the prequels, but the emotional core and soundtrack that accompanies it is never surpassed again.

BDboystoys said:
EASILY ROTJ Luke vs. Vader for me. It may not have the most flips and moves as in the prequels, but the emotional core and soundtrack that accompanies it is never surpassed again.
That's why I voted Mustafar. Flips + moves + emotional core + awesome John Williams score = :chew :chew :chew :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Khev said:
That's why I voted Mustafar. Flips + moves + emotional core + awesome John Williams score = :chew :chew :chew :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

It so strange, the Mustafar scene is so popular and loved, but I've never seen it that way. The cinematography was choppy and closed in on the head/torso mainly which detracted from the flow for me. Its a pivotal moment in the film agreed but I was never sold on the conviction. The over use of CGI also detracted from the emotional core, but granted the score is phenomenal. John Williams brought SW to life. Still, my favourite piece of music in the films is from the Vader vs. Luke in ROTJ, when the fight reaches its emotional peak.
This is all my opinion of course, I dont want to put down anyones elses favourites.

Back