Battlestar Galactica: the movie?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
Reaction score
https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a171205/singer-to-make-battlestar-galactica-movie.html

Bryan Singer is close to making a deal to direct a Battlestar Galactica movie for Universal.

According to website HitFix, the X-Men and Superman Returns helmer is being courted for the new big screen take on Glen A. Larson's science fiction property.

Universal announced in February that is was pursuing a new movie spearheaded by Larson. The project is not related to the recent TV series, which has spinoff show Caprica ready to launch on Syfy next year.

Singer was previously involved in an aborted Galactica TV series for Fox in 2001, but the big budget pilot was axed amid rising costs and concerns about the story - involving a sneak attack by aliens on Earth - evoking 9/11. Singer's original Galactica concept was to be a direct sequel to Larson's '70s series.

Meh, can't imagine it being as good as the SciFi show... seems like they are trying to capitalize off the show's thunder.

this is good news and i'm of the same opinion you can't get enough BSG, but in saying that i can't see how they can humanly possible improve on the last great series.

when it does come out, i'll wait to see the opinions of other BSG fans before i go see it, since i don't want to dampen my own opinion of possibly the great tv series ever made.:monkey2

So Singer will give a beloved property, but interpreted in such a way as it ruins it? Sounds familiar.

Seriously this is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. Like the Buffy producers doing a reboot without Joss Whedon.

So Singer will give a beloved property, but interpreted in such a way as it ruins it? Sounds familiar.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I'll give one thing to Singer, he knows how to cast. Besides Lois Lane, I have enjoyed everybody else that he has cast in his movies. Would be interesting to see the cast he would get for BSG

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I'll give one thing to Singer, he knows how to cast. Besides Lois Lane, I have enjoyed everybody else that he has cast in his movies. Would be interesting to see the cast he would get for BSG

funny thing about casting, when i first heard starbuck was going to be female on the last series i thought no ^^^^ing way this is going to be lame, or how the hell are they going to do that, and now i don't think i can think of starbuck as anything but.:confused::confused:

damn that series was good.:banana:banana:banana

funny thing about casting, when i first heard starbuck was going to be female on the last series i thought no ^^^^ing way this is going to be lame, or how the hell are they going to do that, and now i don't think i can think of starbuck as anything but.:confused::confused:

damn that series was good.:banana:banana:banana
Honestly, I never liked Starbuck, I just tolerated her. I almost didn't watch the series at first because of her. The cigar smoking really bugged me for one thing.

^

Starbuck (TV) didn't vibe well with me either ( I suspect because the writers emasculated Apollo simply to show how tough Starbuck was in contrast instead of just making Starbuck tough on her own merits) , but I did speak to someone else I know who made a pretty interesting point about her. That if you knew someone like Starbuck in life or in the past ( i.e. a self destructive person who was extremely gifted at one thing in life) , the character resonated differently.

I thought she interesting because it was clear, at least to me, that Adama loved her far more than he loved his own son.

I think Cain (TV) kind of illustrates, at least to me, the kind of stuff that limits a TV show but maybe not a feature film. I suspect TV writers aren't working chronologically to their productions or even to episodes, which might explain why Cain was shifted into such a caricature instead of a full three dimensional character. ( She couldn't just be conflicted, she had to be a killer who sanctioned the murder and abandonment of civilians. And hey she was a lesbian too to boot. To do what? To show Adama and Roslin were right. That's it) In a feature film, I think characters can be handled more evenly. Fewer throwaway scenes. Fewer needs to patch up inconsistencies from episode to episode.

There's a lot of similarities to McNulty from HBO's The Wire and TV Starbuck, except I think David Simon actually addressed McNulty's dysfunction openly, he didn't try to justify it, which I think Ron Moore unfortunately did.

Gekko

I think that at the onset of the series he loved Kara more than Lee, but as the show progressed, he became very close to his son. Lee and the Admiral obviously are very different people, but in the end, they respect and love eachother. The best example I can think of is during Baltar's trial, Adama pretty much had Balter pegged guilty like everybody else. As Lee spoke, it became clear what kind of man he was and that he reached his father. One of my favorite moments of the entire series for me (at the best frakking two episodes to boot).

From Variety via AICN...

Universal Pictures has set Bryan Singer to direct and produce a feature version of "Battlestar Galactica," confirming a report on the Hitfix website.

The development is something of a surprise because the most prevailing rumor had Singer flirting with the idea of returning to the X-Men series by taking the reins of "X-Men: First Class," which focuses on the younger mutant characters seen fleetingly at the Xavier Institute of Higher Learning. "Gossip Girl" creator Josh Schwartz wrote the first draft of that script.

"Battlestar Galactica" appears to be on a fast track and sources said that Singer could be looking at a $10 million paycheck to sign on to the film

Back