Premium Format Batman V Superman Batman Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People always slam the sculpt, but it's rarely bad sculpt. It's usually the paint or the mold slightly warping or something. Even the Frodo PF sculpt was really good with no paints.

Yeah. The paint can easily make or break a sculpt, regardless of how good the sculpt is. Grove's sculpt was good indeed, ruined by mass production paint. Then you'd see the likes of Noel Cruz making a $20 figure with mediocre sculpt look like the actor.

I think Trevor Grove's headsculpt on the MoS PF was great. He's definitely one of the best sculptors out there.

man_of_steel_by_trevorgrove-d68ohmr.jpg

The problem with the PF was the paint app and PVCgate.

The PVC and paint definitely ruined this. SS really f'd up on this one. I am so glad I only paid $225 shipped for him. And we get another Boba Fett, how about an updated MOS SS?!

I think the MOS Superman looks very good. Yeah, it sucks that it's PVC, but I think the sculpt and pose are great. The paint could be better, but it's not that bad. Maybe I'm biased because I only dropped $150 on it, but I'm very happy with it.

With that said, a new BvS or JL sculpt of Superman would be very welcome.

finally got my batman bvs pf last week. been crazy busy at work so haven't had time to talk about it here.

first off, the reports of the likeness being off are unfortunately true. this looks nothing like affleck. and i'd say the fault is primarily due to the awful paint app. from certain angles (especially the side profile) i can kinda see affleck in there, but the piss-poor rendering of the stubble and the fish-lips paint really obliterate any resemblance to the actor. this issue was serious enough for me to consider selling off this piece.

but then, there are other aspects of this pf that save it. quite a few in fact. for one, the suit looks phenomenal. the sculpt really captures the fabric-like qualities of the frank miller-inspired suit, with its creases, folds, textures and seams. then the paintwork here totally seals the illusion of fabric, with a fantastic black wash coupled with weathering that catches the light beautifully. this is honestly one of the best paint apps i've seen on a costume by sideshow. which makes their face paint bungle all the more puzzling. the textures on the cowl, gloves, utility belt and boots are also pretty good, and i noticed something in person that have not showed up in any pics so far. the bat insignia has a glossy outline around it that makes the shape stand out against the light. it's quite a cool little detail.

then there's the cape, which to me is a mixed bag. the material looks and feels high-quality, but i don't like the weathered hem of the cape. i know they were trying to make it look torn and tattered but it's too uniform to be convincing. and lastly, the pose is quite dynamic, especially from a side angle.

so all in all, the plus points of this piece are just about enough to make up for the crappy likeness caused by bad paint. for now, i've decided to keep it though i may still change my mind in the future.

here are some shots i took...

BvS BatmanPF 1.jpg

BvS BatmanPF 2.jpg

BvS BatmanPF 5.jpg

BvS BatmanPF 6.jpg

BvS BatmanPF 3.jpg

BvS BatmanPF 4.jpg

Nice pics, tylerdurden. A great review as well. This piece had SO MUCH potential and it was definitely ruined (for me anyway) by the paint on the face sculpt (which is exactly the same for me with the Superman Man of Steel premium format figure). Both of these statues would be in my collection if the face sculpts were painted better.

Paint on face HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! Too bad since the rest of it looks pretty great! Arghh. If it goes cheap I will pick one up...

Congrats tylerdurden.

This figure had the potential to be one of Sideshow's top movie PFs. Regardless of why they had to approve a rush job from a factory, it shows that Sideshow didn't care much. Such a waste as 90% of the figure is well done, but they thought it's already better than maybe 70% of the products they release anyway so why bother -- disregarding that the neglected 10% is the focal point.

I paid full for this, but for those who want one, it would be best to wait til Sideshow gives a good discount. Not only will you not pay Sideshow's asking price for a rushed job, you'd also get additional budget to have the mouth repainted.

Nice pics, tylerdurden. A great review as well. This piece had SO MUCH potential and it was definitely ruined (for me anyway) by the paint on the face sculpt (which is exactly the same for me with the Superman Man of Steel premium format figure). Both of these statues would be in my collection if the face sculpts were painted better.

thanks. i considered getting the man of steel pf for a brief nanosecond... and then i saw the production pieces.

Paint on face HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! Too bad since the rest of it looks pretty great! Arghh. If it goes cheap I will pick one up...

i wonder how this one will fare on the aftermarket. it IS batman after all. and the one with the best suit by far, imo.

Congrats tylerdurden.

This figure had the potential to be one of Sideshow's top movie PFs. Regardless of why they had to approve a rush job from a factory, it shows that Sideshow didn't care much. Such a waste as 90% of the figure is well done, but they thought it's already better than maybe 70% of the products they release anyway so why bother -- disregarding that the neglected 10% is the focal point.

I paid full for this, but for those who want one, it would be best to wait til Sideshow gives a good discount. Not only will you not pay Sideshow's asking price for a rushed job, you'd also get additional budget to have the mouth repainted.

thanks man. are you planning to get yours repainted, or have you done it already?

Congrats tylerdurden ...and nice pictures. :)
...and I agree with your review. :lecture

I love the statue, and after a little paint-up on the face ...I can even see Affleck in there. :lol

View attachment 335535

:hi5:

thanks. and very nice repaint there. if i had the time i would try repainting the face. but he'd probably end up looking like steve buscemi, or samuel l. jackson, or something. :lol

That is the very definition of putting lipstick on a pig.

are you calling affleck a... pig?? (gasp!)

thanks man. are you planning to get yours repainted, or have you done it already?

Yeah, done it already :) I'll post new pics when time permits :)

I just checked and Sideshow says the Regular now has LOW STOCKS REMAINING, along with Arkham Asylum Batman which took some time considering it only had 1500 units (regular). Could be a marketing push though.

finally got my batman bvs pf last week. been crazy busy at work so haven't had time to talk about it here.

first off, the reports of the likeness being off are unfortunately true. this looks nothing like affleck. and i'd say the fault is primarily due to the awful paint app. from certain angles (especially the side profile) i can kinda see affleck in there, but the piss-poor rendering of the stubble and the fish-lips paint really obliterate any resemblance to the actor. this issue was serious enough for me to consider selling off this piece.

but then, there are other aspects of this pf that save it. quite a few in fact. for one, the suit looks phenomenal. the sculpt really captures the fabric-like qualities of the frank miller-inspired suit, with its creases, folds, textures and seams. then the paintwork here totally seals the illusion of fabric, with a fantastic black wash coupled with weathering that catches the light beautifully. this is honestly one of the best paint apps i've seen on a costume by sideshow. which makes their face paint bungle all the more puzzling. the textures on the cowl, gloves, utility belt and boots are also pretty good, and i noticed something in person that have not showed up in any pics so far. the bat insignia has a glossy outline around it that makes the shape stand out against the light. it's quite a cool little detail.

then there's the cape, which to me is a mixed bag. the material looks and feels high-quality, but i don't like the weathered hem of the cape. i know they were trying to make it look torn and tattered but it's too uniform to be convincing. and lastly, the pose is quite dynamic, especially from a side angle.

so all in all, the plus points of this piece are just about enough to make up for the crappy likeness caused by bad paint. for now, i've decided to keep it though i may still change my mind in the future.

here are some shots i took...

Great pictures my friend.

I've got one question, what type of material is the cap made of?

Great pictures my friend.

I've got one question, what type of material is the cap made of?

thanks. :)

as far as i can tell, the cape is made from some leather-like material. i doubt it's real leather, but it has a feeling of quality to it. my guess is this will last longer than say, the (fake) leather jacket on the indiana jones pf (raiders of the lost ark ver). that one is crap, it started disintegrating about a year after i got it.

It's pleather, but yes, definitely one of the top leather-like materials I've seen and felt from Sideshow so far. IMO, it feels more durable than the one they used for Keaton Batman and Batgirl's capes.

The cape material actually feels like it's of the same mateeial as those durable car seat covers that can last for years while in constant contact with oil and sweat, sunlight, and trapped heat in a parked car. I hope it stays good as new for years (given some care of course!), as it's a great cape!

Back