Batman B&W Mazzucchelli review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I never really expected that the Batman: Black and White series of statues to last this many years and this many releases, but somehow they manage to continue to give us interesting designs. The latest release is based on the work of David Mazzucchelli, the artist that worked on Batman: Year One with Frank Miller. I love the design, but the paint work slipped up a bit this time.

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Do you have all the serie Michael..? Seems you have reviewed a bunch of them...My favorite is still Mike Mignolia's.

I love that classic look. As much as i like modern re invisionings of Batman, for me, the 40's, 50's look is the true Batman imo. Great review btw

I've always wanted one where the cape completely covers him. So this one is half there. I thought that look looked very menacing on the animated series. But since it would just be head, cape, and boots I doubt we'd ever see a piece that simple.

I kinda wish the Bruce Timm piece would have turned out the way your describing Buttmunch. The jumping pose they went with, while dynamic, doesn't convey the dark and brooding Batman from BTAS that I associate with the show. I wish they would have found some way to replicate this image into 3D B&W

batmantheanimatedseries.jpg

That pose, I think would have been an instant classic B&W statue.

Individually a lot of these pieces get lost in the mix. They are okay but not anything special. Some of these though are fantastic. A little small but when you have them all and display them that way they really are awesome. I remember reading a long time ago that they were planning on continuing this line with Superman next and possibly other heroes but nothing has materialized.

I would gracefully disagree with you.

250bw.jpg

greenlanternmoviebw.jpg

greenlanternalexrossbw.jpg

greenlanternbyseniorgol.jpg

The sharp contrast is what makes these pop, with GL you'd get more of that contrast with the shades and the stark white. That being said, Superman AND Wonder Woman would most likely get this treatment before GL. As much as I love GL, he is definitely treated and considered a second tier character. Now if that changes after movie we'll see, it worked for Iron Man but as of right now I doubt they'd start a whole line off of the character. He is just now gaining momentum

Sorry Mike, I also don't think the B&W treatment would work for GL or any other hero for that matter. With Batman it makes sense, because black is such a pronounced color in Batman's color pallet and obviously the mini series that created the b&w genre for Batman. With GL, the absence of the color green would just seem plain wrong and wouldn't make sense. GREEN Lantern, without the color green??

Maybe if they created a series called GL: Shades of green and successfully found a way for GL statues to look good using the green spectrum of color, then maybe I'd bite.

There was a sculptor on Statue Forum who made his own Superman B&W statues and they looked fantastic. Especially next to the Batman ones. GL might not work but there are heroes who'd look just fine with it.

Wow I love this pose, this is from batman year 1 in comic promos, where it mentions "He is strong, smart and relentless" right? Gotta have this for my office table.

I kinda wish the Bruce Timm piece would have turned out the way your describing Buttmunch. The jumping pose they went with, while dynamic, doesn't convey the dark and brooding Batman from BTAS that I associate with the show. I wish they would have found some way to replicate this image into 3D B&W

batmantheanimatedseries.jpg

That pose, I think would have been an instant classic B&W statue.

I completely agree. When I first heard there was to be a Bruce Timm version, I was psyched. Until I saw it. A BT statue with Bats completely covered in cape would have rocked.

Back