1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The responses from Sideshow have been total BS. None of this info is on the product page of their website or on the websites of retailers that carry Hot Toys product.

If they have no idea what is causing the scratches and suspect that the entire production run is subject to the problem, then put a disclaimer on the product page letting anyone know who is considering purchasing it, that it basically has a 50/50 chance of arriving with some form of damage. Not everyone posts on (or reads) the forums and not everyone has time to extensively research the internet to find this information before making a purchase like this. It is ridiculous and unrealistic.

The consumer shouldn't have to settle for inferior product because Sideshow doesn't want to "lose" money on this item. They make it sound like they are doing us a favor by even selling it to us and that this whole thing will bankrupt their company. This is the kind of behavior I expect from Matty Collector, not Sideshow Collectibles.

This whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't even have it yet.

I totally agree with you on posting this over at their site as a disclaimer... Might it cost them some sales? Sure. But to not note an issue with the item that is as widespread as the SS rep made it sound is just bad form.

That is one of the reasons I asked William if it was okay to re-post in detail what he said.... I figured if they aren't making all this policy know, then we as a community should try our best to. :)

Sallah

This organisation lies through its teeth. Its a money grabbing organisation ht and ss and hope some actual real competition comes and takes their darn business away. They did this in samurai pred and now in this. I would rather have them man up for once. Just man up and say we are sorry, its our fault and we will replace. Simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think in the end HT and SS don't realy give a hoot about this issue- they don't want to lose money (surprise!). Why do they not care?
Figure after figure, vehicle after vehicle SELLS OUT. People just buy them all. QC issues or not. WE care about crap product but the entire World out there grabbing these up?

Good luck. Sideshow is the only North American company specializing, manufacturing, and distributing 1:6 collectibles with an exclusive partnership with Hot Toys. I don't see any competition to their business. Enterbay? Even worse on QC issues and customer service. That's the problem dealing with high-end international exports from Asia. Sideshow's CS used to be second to NONE, now they just don't give a damn. Take it or leave it, that's their mantra now.

Believe it or not, there are buyers who are content with the scuffs. Hence SS's unwillingness for exchanges and low credit returns.

Believe it or not, there are buyers who are content with the scuffs. Hence SS's unwillingness for exchanges and low credit returns.

That right there is the problem. If people like true collectors say no nd return see how they panic. I deal a lot on ebay and i have seen same people who accept these scuffs, when on ebay will make rah rah noise on a small crease on a box that too on resale. I mean am not a professional seller but i see this when i part with my old collection. Anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So how many of you are DONE with SS and HT now that this has happened?

I can't say I am completely done with SS... I still have orders active that either had a NRD or used reward points that I would be foolish to cancel. But that is pretty much all I am keeping active.

The big draw for Sideshow was speed and great customer service. With customer service looking really bad after this, I will probably do any future orders through BBTS.

As for HT- I already made the decision to cut down to mostly just Keaton/ Reeve stuff when their Iron Man avalanche made collecting Marvel actively too expensive an endeavor. Since I decided that before the Batmobile issue, I guess my stance on them hasn't changed much... But this whole thing makes it easier to stick to that decision, and stuff I was on the fence about before like the '66 Batmobile moves definitively into the "No purchase" category.

Sallah

Well I asked for mine to be inspected and just got a shipping notice from them today. So I probably won't get this until Thursday, but will post at that time. If it does arrive with any damage we can safely assume UPS is causing it during shipping, which would at least help narrow down the problem. BBTS is saying it happens at the factory, SS says they don't know when/how it's happening still, and folks here say they can match the scuffs to the shield so who knows anymore.

As a side note, I will be ordering from BBTS after this despite the cheaper shipping, quicker order fulfillment, and points with Sideshow. I know that sadly Sideshow will still get some of the cash, but it's about all I can do. This is just TERRIBLE CS from them while BBTS is pretty much treating me like a king and that goes a long way for me. So even though I didn't order this particular piece through SS, I have ordered many things in the past and seeing how they are treating you all means they have lost my business as best as I can avoid them.

Thank you for the detailed info as to Side Show's take on all this. I'm still waiting to hear from someone who is using the BBTS inspection service and received a Mint Batmobile. I wonder how BBTS will deal with opening up so many boxes and finding so many QC issues. How will BBTS send back to SSC and will SSC give them a credit as well. I'm guessing that BBTS gets their stock from SSC, or do they get shipments direct from Hot Toys?

Just a couple quick pics. I still love this thing, and the one small scratch will never rob me of enjoying it day after day....thankfully you can't really even see it.

So how many of you are DONE with SS and HT now that this has happened?

I will stick with them just because SS has given me amazing customer service in the past. Refunded my NRD on anything i have canceled, fixed any problems I have had with figures quickly, etc.

I will not purchase any vehicles from HT again. I was thinking about the 66 Batmobile and the BTTF DeLorean but not after this. They have more complex designs and there is a much higher chance of QC issues with them.

I will stick with them just because SS has given me amazing customer service in the past. Refunded my NRD on anything i have canceled, fixed any problems I have had with figures quickly, etc.

I will not purchase any vehicles from HT again. I was thinking about the 66 Batmobile and the BTTF DeLorean but not after this. They have more complex designs and there is a much higher chance of QC issues with them.

As long as HT makes something I want, figure or vehicle, I'm going to buy it, and I have a feeling many others here will too. I'd rather take my chances with QC issues on something I really want, than not have it at all.

I was never interested in the 66 Batmobile, but I'd definitely buy a Delorean if I had the space for it (but after 2 Tumblers, 1 Batpod, 1 89 Batmobile, space is getting tight). I wouldn't even mind if the Delorean had a few scratches, it wasn't exactly pristine after time travelling/being shot at by guns and arrows/being buried in a mine for 70 years etc... The thing with a car like the '89 Batmobile, is that it's most remembered in it's flawless form. Which is another reason to pass on the '66 Batmobile, which is easily meant to be even flashier and always looks freshly waxed. One scratch would ruin that whole look.

The Delorean will be far enough off that I may quite possibly buy it. Its the last of the massively iconic vehicles of the 80s that I could possibly want. And yes, scratches on that thing wouldn't be as unsightly as they are on the 89mobile.

Well I asked for mine to be inspected and just got a shipping notice from them today. So I probably won't get this until Thursday, but will post at that time. If it does arrive with any damage we can safely assume UPS is causing it during shipping, which would at least help narrow down the problem. BBTS is saying it happens at the factory, SS says they don't know when/how it's happening still, and folks here say they can match the scuffs to the shield so who knows anymore.

As a side note, I will be ordering from BBTS after this despite the cheaper shipping, quicker order fulfillment, and points with Sideshow. I know that sadly Sideshow will still get some of the cash, but it's about all I can do. This is just TERRIBLE CS from them while BBTS is pretty much treating me like a king and that goes a long way for me. So even though I didn't order this particular piece through SS, I have ordered many things in the past and seeing how they are treating you all means they have lost my business as best as I can avoid them.

Thank you for keeping us updated on orders from BBTS. Mine has not been charged. I think you maybe the first to receive one from them.

Just talked to Richard at Cornerstore Comics. He says they have not seen any of these issues on their shipments and is inspecting before shipping one out.
And Cornerstore is in Anaheim, CA with Sideshow in Thousand Oaks, CA? That's a 70-mile distance - Corner Store probably picks up their merchandise from Sideshow directly. If Corner Store hasn't had a single damaged unit then it's statistically impossible these are getting damaged at the Hot Toys factory; I stand by my theory that the damage is occurring when the boxes are being shipped around the United States either flipped upside down (pressing the un-foamed part of the coccoon against the car) or with heavy boxes stacked on top.

Again, mine arrived from Alter Ego in perfect condition and the top of the box was literally bulging in it's pristine condition; it had clearly never been left upside down or had anything heavy stacked atop it, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Man, the shipping price for the batmobile is god awful if you are a canadian who wants to get it from big bad toy store, it's around 300$.

I knew when I order this monster that it will be the only vehicle that I will ever order from HT. No interest in the Tumbler as it doesn't speak Bat to me. No interest in the Delorean either as I already have a 1/18 that I'm happy with and not crazy about any characters in that series. So scratched or not (unfortunately 2 scratches), I will only be buying figures (& HOA) from HT going forward.

PO'ed: HOA (2pcs), Selina Kyle, Mark XXXIII
Planned: CH(CGI) Kei Yuki, CA:TWS Black Widow, AVG:AOU Black Widow
If I can get to it: Diecast Mark III

Last edited:
Back