1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I can tell, folks are planning to do the refund and then re-buy it in the hopes of getting a nicer one...
That's my understanding as well. That was never going to be an option for me though; my final price from Alter Ego was $110 less than what it'd cost to order a new one from Sideshow.

I saw a pic in this thread of the cape and it looks great. How does one go about getting one and how much is it?

I can't express how much of a difference it makes. The stock one is great for the wings out poses, or something you can spend a lot of time on for one static pose... But Tony's cape is great for natural, minimal-futzing, posing and displaying. Here's his custom thread:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104541

Sallah

I was planning on keeping this in storage until we moved into a house, but when my wife saw it she demanded that it be displayed in our apartment, size be damned! I knew I picked a good woman!

tumblr_inline_mikv4hogmA1qz4rgp.gif

A word of caution with the Tony Meis cape if you plan on trying to put Batman fully in the Batmobile, even just once for a few photos or something. First of all, it will be a challenge (but not impossible) to do no matter what, even without any cape (or boots) on at all, it's just the nature of the figure's and car's design. But for seating it in the Batmobile, the Tony Meis cape's slight tackiness outweighed any benefit of it's thinness for me. The stock cape was better able to handle the tedious process without getting stuck to itself and the seats etc on the way in.

I can't express how much of a difference it makes. The stock one is great for the wings out poses, or something you can spend a lot of time on for one static pose... But Tony's cape is great for natural, minimal-futzing, posing and displaying. Here's his custom thread:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104541

Sallah

Thanks for the link, I just sent tony an email. My plan if I get the Batmobile is to display it like in the "stop" scene so I need a droopier cape and his looks great.

A word of caution with the Tony Meis cape if you plan on trying to put Batman fully in the Batmobile, even just once for a few photos or something. First of all, it will be a challenge (but not impossible) to do no matter what, even without any cape (or boots) on at all, it's just the nature of the figure's and car's design. But for seating it in the Batmobile, the Tony Meis cape's slight tackiness outweighed any benefit of it's thinness for me. The stock cape was better able to handle the tedious process without getting stuck to itself and the seats etc on the way in.

I may end up using my stock de-wired cape for posing him in there for my pictures/review then. It might offer the best of both worlds...

Sallah

Picked mine up from CSC not bad for $612. Totally flawless! I even checked using the flash from my phone so you know it's legit if it passes the flash test lol. First thing I checked was the canopy, no damage or scuffs, I inspected one before hand, no canopy damage but the hood, had some ruff scuff like it was sanded, checked the second one and practically perfect! Other than standard hairline scratches found with the flash on my phone, perfect! Good luck to those who received damaged ones! Sorry to hear about the QC issues but at least there's hope!

Anyone hear back from Alter Ego or BBTS about what they going to do about the damaged Batmobiles?

Anyone hear back from Alter Ego or BBTS about what they going to do about the damaged Batmobiles?

Josh at AE said he'd be back in touch after discussing the matter with Sideshow. He'd already previously told me I could return it for a full refund if it was damaged, but the scuff on mine is so small I honestly don't think it's worth the effort so I'll probably just take a partial refund and keep the car.

Picked mine up from CSC not bad for $612. Totally flawless! I even checked using the flash from my phone so you know it's legit if it passes the flash test lol. First thing I checked was the canopy, no damage or scuffs, I inspected one before hand, no canopy damage but the hood, had some ruff scuff like it was sanded, checked the second one and practically perfect! Other than standard hairline scratches found with the flash on my phone, perfect! Good luck to those who received damaged ones! Sorry to hear about the QC issues but at least there's hope!

Nice, I wish I could have picked it up in person as I live in SoCal but it wouldn't have fit in my car anyway

*****k you Hot Toys for making us all go through this! :mad:

most dumb comment I've read, so far. The " ***** you" part that is.

Without Hot Toys we wouldn't even have a 1/6th scale '89 Batmobile to begin with.

Ow, and not to mention you wouldn't even be crying your *** off if you personally hadn't any issues with yours.

If you think/say Hot Toys can **** themselves, why bother buying things from them?

Hypocrite.

Without Hot Toys we wouldn't even have a 1/6th scale '89 Batmobile to begin with.

Ow, and not to mention you wouldn't even be crying your *** off if you personally hadn't any issues with yours.

If you think/say Hot Toys can **** themselves, why bother buying things from them?

Hypocrite.

People have every right to be angry when they've handed in excess of $600 of their hard earned over to a company who is failing to provide a product in pristine new condition....

Hypocrite.

Are you nuts? :slap

This thing was $700, **** them is right.

Hypocrite.

You can take your hypocrite comment and stick it somewhere painful! Did you even buy this item or are you just a pathetic troll who likes to stir the pot? My guess is the latter and therefore I won't waste any more time on you or your stupid thoughts! Go annoy people in another thread and let the adults continue the conversation here.

I havent even seen this yet in person but ive seen the unboxing videos and correct me if im wrong but it looks like the shield is over the car in the box? Cool idea but looks like it backfired pretty bad if its what caused the damage.

To be fair, Hot Toys doesn't MAKE us do anything. We want a 1/6 Batmobile, HT offers one, and we freely choose to buy. If you've been in this hobby for any significant amount of time, you even bought it with the knowledge that HT isn't perfect. Given that knowledge, it was a roll of the dice. Not saying it's right or fair, but given past performance it's not entirely surprising that a release isn't 100% perfect in every shipped box. They've had misfires with melty Comedian outfits, discolored/faded pink Iron Man parts, leaky DX02 abs which they learned from and improved on DX12...and upon the first release of the Tumbler, rub marks from not getting the packaging just right---which they learned from and improved on the re-release.

This was a first (maybe only?) production run of the 89, and honestly besides the shield rubbing on the canopy area during shipping (if that is even the source and it didn't happen in the factory somehow) the car is pretty solidly packaged. The damage reports seem to be pretty consistent in that one area, and with few if any reports of scuffs anywhere else on the car, right?

Unfortunately, HT cannot anticipate ever possible design flaw in their packaging before it actual ships in mass for the first time---IF they re-release this or ship it again under the Returns banner, I'm pretty sure, based on their past re-releases/ updated versions, they will learn from this and improve the protection in that area next time.

Sure, they should have had better quality control in the instances where they are straight up missing foam inside the shield, but again, is this the surprising first time HT has had bad QC? Yet we still order their products. Why? Because our want outweighs the risk involved. Even the lack of comment from HT acknowledging the problem doesn't surprise me given what I know about them from the past. How many other collectors here have tried in vain to contact HT directly for a replacement part, or even just a response to a question with no luck? I know I have.

Even with the knowledge of the risk, I ordered the Batmobile. I was lucky this time, but I have been unlucky in the past (received a Tumbler with broken flap supports...contacted HT for replacement parts...no response)...and yet I still took a chance on this because my want of it outweighed the risk. And you know what? If Hot Toys comes out with something in the future that I really want, I will assume there will be some QC issues like there have always been...but if I want it bad enough, I will order it anyway...and I suspect many on these boards will too. And if it comes damaged, sure I'll be upset, but I won't claim HT "makes" me go through it. The only person who "makes" me go through it is the dude that pulls the credit card out and hits the pre-order button--me.

Darth Alias - was that you by my red convertible, when I picked up mine? I took mine out and tested the lights, everything works fine. Unfortunately, I had to put mine back in the box. I need more time to prepare a display area.

Darth Alias - was that you by my red convertible, when I picked up mine? I took mine out and tested the lights, everything works fine. Unfortunately, I had to put mine back in the box. I need more time to prepare a display area.

Yep, believe it or not, mine fit perfectly fine on its side in my car! Beautiful collectible man!

Woohoooo..just picked up mine and its perfect! No damage what so ever. Thanks to Richard and the guys at Cornerstore comics for everything.

Back