AVENGERS: assemble now or assemble later?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cr`

Super Freak
Reaction score
ok, we've seen some sneaks of cap movie pf and thos movie pf, and both would look great posed side by side with mark VI maquette (i think the 2 pfs were purposely designed to look great alongside the mark VI - one is facing left, the other facing right, etc). the 3 combined would make an absolutely amazing display in any room. no doubt.

but then... those are from 3 separate films. in the avengers, all the costumes will get a make over(gotta sell more toys), and the norm is superhero costumes always look better the 2nd time they are brought to the screens. and since the avengers movie will be the biggest fricking deal to all geeks the world over, no doubt that sideshow and hottoys are planning something special for that film - even as we speak now they're counting the money already i'm sure.

so my question obviously, is... get the soon-to-be-released cap and thor movie pf/hottoys... OR wait and see? it's a pickle.

ok, we've seen some sneaks of cap movie pf and thos movie pf, and both would look great posed side by side with mark VI maquette (i think the 2 pfs were purposely designed to look great alongside the mark VI - one is facing left, the other facing right, etc). the 3 combined would make an absolutely amazing display in any room. no doubt.

but then... those are from 3 separate films. in the avengers, all the costumes will get a make over(gotta sell more toys), and the norm is superhero costumes always look better the 2nd time they are brought to the screens. and since the avengers movie will be the biggest fricking deal to all geeks the world over, no doubt that sideshow and hottoys are planning something special for that film - even as we speak now they're counting the money already i'm sure.

so my question obviously, is... get the soon-to-be-released cap and thor movie pf/hottoys... OR wait and see? it's a pickle.

Get it now. You can always sell it if you like the new avengers three years down the road.

problem is i loath the current costumes of movie cap n thor. superhero costumes almost always look better on screen the 2nd time around, n in avengers all the costumes will come out from a single unifying artistic vision, thus the better chance for all the heroes to look great when assembled. as it is now, the design for thor, cap, n ironman come from the aesthetics of 3 different directors with 3 different visions. the designs don't really quite gel or even compliment each other imo.

of course, the 3 pf/ht of the current designs could still look great displayed together anyway.

Last edited:
I have kind of pondering the same scenarios, only time will tell I suppose if the avengers products are better.

problem is i loath the current costumes of movie cap n thor. superhero costumes almost always look better on screen the 2nd time around, n in avengers all the costumes will come out from a single unifying artistic vision, thus the better chance for all the heroes to look great when assembled. as it is now, the design for thor, cap, n ironman come from the aesthetics of 3 different directors with 3 different visions. the designs don't really quite gel or even compliment each other imo.

of course, the 3 pf/ht of the current designs could still look great displayed together anyway.

Later, for the same reasons you just said.

If I wasnt such a big Thor fan I would wait for the Avengers movie, though I still might. I really think they will listen to see what people like and dont like. I wouldnt buy a WWII Cap figure honestly. It wouldnt look good having an Avengers looking display with one retro figure. I think the Avengers uniforms will be much better!

I've decided that I want my Avengers collection to have the likeness of their movie counterparts. I'd gladly wait for versions resembling the Avengers movie (if/whenever that's released).

Get them now because there is no guarantee characters like Thor will even get a new costume. I'd expect Cap to get modernized and Tony to have a new Mark (possibly even the Hulkbuster), but I don't really see Thor changing. Same with Black Widow and Fury. Its possible they will, but there is no reason to suggest everyone will get new costumes just to get new costumes. Cap and Iron Man are the only ones I'd think would.

Although Hulk may get some new pants!

Assemble now, sell later if you like the new costumes (if any better). Who knows, they might mess up royally and you might prefer all of the first costumes better. Plus there is no guarantee HT/SS will make everyone, especially those with similar/same costumes.

As long as I can afford it I will get all versions. Like BM said I expect Cap to get a bit more modern look and a new Mark suit but other than that I'd leave Thor alone. All the looks so far are pretty kick ass and will look freaking great on a shelf.

Buttmunch I always agree with you but I do think that they would all have some different uniforms even if its just slight changes. But you are correct when you say there is no guarantee that HT will make all the characters. I could see the Iron man having a Hulkbuster suit if in fact Hulk is the focus but also he has a new look in the comics that is kind of cool. Ultimate Iron would be awesome but that is old now.

Personally, I'm going with assembling them now simply because I prefer the comic-based look. Granted, I'm going to have the Mark VI Iron Man in my Avengers lineup for now, but in my opinion, it's the best IM to date.

I would assemble now simply because with The Avengers they may not be in poses that would look good as a group. A bird in the hand if you will...

I learned a while ago that it is very difficult to collect any specific team line at SSC. Its easier to collect a specific character. Its very tempting to wait for the full line but what we as collectors envision as an easy concept to grasp is near impossible with the companies sometimes.

If I wasnt such a big Thor fan I would wait for the Avengers movie, though I still might. I really think they will listen to see what people like and dont like. I wouldnt buy a WWII Cap figure honestly. It wouldnt look good having an Avengers looking display with one retro figure. I think the Avengers uniforms will be much better!
agreed. one lone retro figure wouldnt gel quite harmoniously with 2-3 modern looking ones.

Get them now because there is no guarantee characters like Thor will even get a new costume. I'd expect Cap to get modernized and Tony to have a new Mark (possibly even the Hulkbuster), but I don't really see Thor changing. Same with Black Widow and Fury. Its possible they will, but there is no reason to suggest everyone will get new costumes just to get new costumes. Cap and Iron Man are the only ones I'd think would.

Although Hulk may get some new pants!

Assemble now, sell later if you like the new costumes (if any better). Who knows, they might mess up royally and you might prefer all of the first costumes better. Plus there is no guarantee HT/SS will make everyone, especially those with similar/same costumes.
yeah, there's still that possibility with thor... that if his costume alteration is slight then ht wont bother to make another version. could be the case.

ok, made up my mind, i think. get the ht thor for now. ht cap can wait. but what about sideshow's? as mike n forcer said, the final fully assembled avengers version might turn out to be disappointing, and as of now these 3 look quite good together:

avengers-b.jpg

i dunno. i keep going back and forth. i guess we'll just wait and see.

Well then keep the box and keep it in mint shape and you can always resell later and who knows maybe make some money off of it.

It's a good question. Myself, I'm getting the Hot Toys as they come out. Although it makes sense for IM to always be changing his outfit, I think Thor will stay the same. Cap might too. I believe we see both this WWII and modern look and I think - for continuity - the same costume will be used. I could be wrong, but there's no real reason to change it up.

two reasons:
- every film director has an ego. if he takes on a project he cant help but want to project his own vision instead of simply taking over the leftover.
- studio always want to sell more toys, and new costumes --> more toys to sell.

Back