Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then there's the genetic mutation of the human/Navi hybrids having five fingers instead of four. But if that's from human DNA...whose DNA is it? I don't think twins share the same DNA 100%, so like I said before, the kids running around on Pandora are really Jake's brother's kids cause he's in his brother's DNA-cloned body.
Identical twins share the same DNA, so the kiddy cats would be Jake's biological kids. What is a bit of head scratcher though is the thought that children of identical twins would be half brothers and half sisters by virtue of their DNA (as well as cousins).

Saw the movie, Thursday night. I was blown away by the visuals. I thought the first Avatar was the best use of 3D that I'd ever seen, but this one goes to new levels. The use of 48 fps for some scenes creates a hyper-real feel to it. I really enjoyed the story, and while I would have preferred some new villains, instead of bringing back the main baddie from the first one, it didn't take me out of the movie. It was a plausible sci-fi explanation, and it mostly worked.

I think I had a huge smile on my face for nearly the entire 3hr+ run time, and I really didn't notice the time, while I was watching it. If you can allow yourself to be immersed in this world/story, then you won't notice the film length.

If you wish to see this movie (and I think you should), please see it on the biggest screen possible and in 3D. I have truly never seen anything like this, before, and I'm someone who sees almost every movie that comes out, in theaters.

IMO, James Cameron has delivered a visual masterpiece. Hopefully it does well, and we end up seeing all of the films that he has planned for this series. Movies like this, are what makes going to the theater such a amazing and worthwhile experience. Check it out, if you get a chance. I think you'll be happy you did.

I’ll see it sometime during the week.

I’m hearing that this is rinse and repeat of the first film, story and structure wise.

That’s not a good thing IMO

In Titanic, it wasn't a door. Everyone always says that.

It was a chunk of wall, and everyone also knows you can only fit one person on a wall. . . duh.

Science be damned.

Cameron should have just said "I view film as art, and I am the artist. You don't have to like everything I do, but hopefully you gained something of value from it... before you go home to your cats and romance novels."

I’ll see it sometime during the week.

I’m hearing that this is rinse and repeat of the first film, story and structure wise.

That’s not a good thing IMO
I don’t think it is. Yes the sky people are still after the navvi, but beyond that, its completely different. Gone is Sully’s allegiance to the military, gone is the annoying corporate man, gone is the whole unobtanium story, gone is the whole jump in jump out avatar business.

In are the family themes, tribes, whaling, growing pains.

All good things IMO.

A couple of extra points, I was absolutely blindsided that Kate Winslet was in this, no idea, a smaller role, but really good. Edie Falco is great as the no nonsense new bad guy, Cliff Curtis is amazing just amazing and Brendan Cowell, a brilliant Aussie actor just hams it up spectacularly, he’s just so funny.

Last edited:
Edie Falco is great as the non nonsense new bad guy, Cliff Curtis is amazing just amazing and Brendan Cowell, a brilliant Aussie actor just hams it up spectacularly, he’s just so funny.

Yeah Mrs Soprano is great, and whoa, Cowell is unrecognisable these days! (And not because he's CGI)

Yeah Mrs Soprano is great, and whoa, Cowell is unrecognisable these days! (And not because he's CGI)
Oh I recognized him straight away, he may have changed in some ways, it happens sometimes when we get older! but his face and accent are the same. He’s a great actor go and watch him in Beneath Hill 60 or Noise.

I don’t think it is. Yes the sky people are still after the navvi, but beyond that, its completely different. Gone is Sully’s allegiance to the military, gone is the annoying corporate man, gone is the whole unobtanium story, gone is the whole jump in jump out avatar business.

I really missed Giovanni Ribisi's character. He was sooooo smarmy and disgusting in the first one. He just played the hell out of that caricature of an evil corporate guy.

As for the Unobtanium, I was intrigued by the concept of the "new" unobtanium in this movie, and then they didn't even mention it again for the whole movie. Maybe in the sequels, I guess...

No doubt this weekend will be huge for it...no matter what. Probably Xmas weekend too next week. It came out at the ideal time to get a good 2-3 weekends of Number 1 boxoffice hype.

I'm more interested in the repeat viewing potential or lack thereof. That's what makes a megahit.
I'm not so sure about that. A lot of people travel for Xmas, so that may negatively impact its box office. I travel and while we normally catch a movie before visiting the relatives, this would probably be a bit too long for everyone after driving 300 miles.
Worthington is so much better here than the first film and Saldana while she doesn’t get as much to do (one of my few issues) she was the best thing about the first film and is still one of the best things about this film. The kids are all terrific, they have a great dynamic together but are all unique and interesting individually. Weaver is amazing and really convincing as a child and so much better in this film too. Lang is great again, I was a little annoyed they brought him back but he makes a great bad guy.
How did they explain THIS? I was switching channels last night and came upon Avatar just as his character was taking two gigantic arrows dead center into his chest. He was obviously toast lol.

p.s. - Jye, you're dead to me lol...

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that. A lot of people travel for Xmas, so that may negatively impact its box office. I travel and while we normally catch a movie before visiting the relatives, this would probably be a bit too long for everyone after a driving 300 miles.

How did they explain THIS? I was switching channels last night and came upon Avatar just as his character was taking two gigantic arrows dead center into his chest. He was obviously toast lol.

p.s. - Jye, you're dead to me lol...
But…but…

1671322250471.gif

Here you go - the eyes wide open, no goggles, no brain switched off, review:

Firstly, there are undeniable moments to enjoy, but the further it went on, the less I liked it. People liking the ending most has me completely baffled as it truly got ridiculous, bizarre, and stupid by the end.

Overall, the magic and wonderment of the first is lost. Visual pretty, but too same, samey - and obviously we've been here before.

SO derivative of the first, it's not funny.

James Horner’s skill is noticeably lacking in Simon Flanglen – it’s serviceable, but not inspiring.

Sigorney Weaver’s voice is noticeably too old for a kid.

Jake is annoying. Found it hard to buy into him as “part of the people” as he’s so “grunt” and “human” this time. It’s like he’s reverted back to things he didn’t like about humans and lost the spirituality of his journey from the first film. And I wouldn’t call him a strong father figure at all – more like a selfish ******* who took his problems to an innocent tribe.

The story flow is all over the shop – some scenes work, then others jump from one scene to another in really jarring ways.

Australian boat captain is an atrocious actor and pulled me out of the movie every second he was on screen. I could have painted two eyes and a mouth of the end of my dick and got a better performance.

Zoe Saldana is wasted and virtually irrelevant. She seems to blindly follow Jake, whereas in the first she was feisty, forthright, and an essential part of his journey to "enlightenment." Here, she's just the dumb wife who does whatever she's told.

Too bloated, but I’m not sure how much you could cut – some “pretty scenes” are just indulgent for the sake of being pretty scenes, and some actions scenes just went on and on.

If killing Jake is so important, why is there only one boat at the end? We’ve seen the “might” of the human forces, why not send more? In the first, the battle seemed enormous, and why the humans were able to topple the tree so easily, here it just felt insignificant and silly.

How many times can we say “****.”

Didn’t feel anything in “that” moment.

As if Quaritch would do what he did at the end. And why was Zoe’s character so aggressive toward the human kid – there wasn’t any foreshadowing of her ill will toward him? Was it a bluff? Don't know?

The whole ending on the boat is just bizarre – stupid **** happens constantly – and where’s the other tribe? Did they just **** off? It drags on and on.

There definitely shouldn’t be 3 more films. One more is enough. There’s simply not enough meat on the bones.

Back