Assault Sandtrooper 3-3/4"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemble

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi All

I had a customer wanting 30 sandtroopers painted but he wanted a paint scheme that suited the a sandy rocky terrian of a desert planet like Tatooine. So after thinking about it a remembered I did an Imperial Assault Trooper years ago and decided to use the same helmet for the commander.

As for the paint scheme I wanted to go for a darker brown colour instead of a sand colour, so I went with the colour you see in the pics. He also wanted all the figures to be articulated which is not the norm for me as I like my 3-3/4" figures to be static but it did save time as I didn't have to sculpt the joints at all.

After I did the first figure I wanted to make a base to show the figure in it's enviroment, after he saw the Sandy he gave the ok to continue with the other 29 figures. As always I used Vallejo and GW paints and pastels to paint and weather the figure and base.

RECIPE

Figure - The figure is the 2010 vintage Sandy that came with the Dewback and the helmet I had in my parts box. I just added a holster from a VOTC Stormtrooper.

Base - The base I got from the craft store for 10 cents and the moisture evaporator is from hasbro which was pulled apart to give it a different look. The collector panels are 1/72 scale plastic metal roof panels.

The base was built up with plaster and woodglue/PVA and sand was added while it was drying, once dry the whole thing was painted and weathered.

Ron

astt1.jpg

astt2.jpg

astt3.jpg

astt4.jpg

astt5.jpg

astt6.jpg

That's really cool! Great job on the weathering and the base, as always. I like how he's articulated, that makes him even cooler!

It might be fun to write a story about those guys...

Wow I love it, it has that late 70s OT look AND the appealing of Phase II armour! I wonder how much time will pass before someone puts this on 1/6 ...

So are the other 29 regular Sandtroopers then and this is the only Commander? Loving the blend of armors and paint scheme.

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed him.

the dude person - Yeah I think that these smaller dio's I'll keep the figures articulated but the big dio's. And I might have to think of a back story for this guy.

Hewer Just finished the last one late late last night after we talked and posted them away today thank god.

TheGent - I would love to do a 1/6 version of this guy eventually.

rfr5671 - There were other ranks and the paint schemes were about the same except for a few minor changes.

Ron

Last edited:
Not referring to the accurate SW timeline (I have no knowledge on that), but I imagine he could be some sort of trooper on tattooine when Luke is 3 or 4 years old ...

Back