Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same. I wasn't expecting the Frodo or the hat. Not sure what I will do with another Anduril. Is it different than Gandalf 2.0?

Maybe you could break it/cut it and make the shards of Narsil, tho that's kind of a shame. Get a Sauron and have him stepping on it.

My heads are at least in the U.S., in Alaska, apparently. :panic:

Shame about the original hat, the material is really nice. I still haven't willed myself to rip stitches out and see what I can do to modify it for fit.
I bought a second hat and did just that - ripped out the under-cap and removed the magnet. It didn't help at all! The hat was no better. The only other fix I imagined was to stretch the inner rim so the hat could sit lower over the figure's head, rather than just perch on top. I never had the will to do all that work just to see if it might help. I don't think there's a modification solution to that terrible hat.

I bought a second hat and did just that - ripped out the under-cap and removed the magnet. It didn't help at all! The hat was no better. The only other fix I imagined was to stretch the inner rim so the hat could sit lower over the figure's head, rather than just perch on top. I never had the will to do all that work just to see if it might help. I don't think there's a modification solution to that terrible hat.
You need to trim the entire edge of excess fabric almost to the seam, otherwise it is of no use. I agree with you, it's a bummer and we shouldn't have to craft a "high end"collectible.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-17 at 01.07.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-17 at 01.07.34.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-17 at 01.08.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-17 at 01.08.31.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 0
You need to trim the entire edge of excess fabric almost to the seam, otherwise it is of no use. I agree with you, it's a bummer and we shouldn't have to craft a "high end"collectible.
I just did that. It's a beautiful hat it was just overthought. I feel like begging ASMUS to redo it and test it first. I can force it on but with delicate hair not good. A good 1/6 hat doesnt need magnets and closing the opening was bizarre.

It's pretty much what I did. Cut & trimmed as much as I could then widened the inner circumference of the hat that sits on the head. For me it sits fine now but it's the thickness of the brim and other parts of the hat that bothers me.

My upgrade head gets delivered tomorrow. So, damn excited to get it. Of course my wife is busting my 🏀⚽️s asking me when will my “Barbie Head” get here. She’s funny….so is filling the sugar bowl with Morton’s….now I wait for her first sip of morning coffee. Look honey we’re both comedians. 😏

...But, I was playing around with my Crown Gandalf (mostly he's in a cabinet, getting ready to behead him:lol) and - it's really a good sculpt except the eye thing. At the right angle or from the side, it's kinda eerie.😁 Like having a mini Gandalf...

The original sculpt is indeed fantastic and my only issue was with the eyes. When lit correctly, where the eyes are somewhat in shadow, it is a wonderful rendition of the Grey Wizard. My plan is to have the original wearing his hat just for that reason.

The original sculpt is indeed fantastic and my only issue was with the eyes. When lit correctly, where the eyes are somewhat in shadow, it is a wonderful rendition of the Grey Wizard. My plan is to have the original wearing his hat just for that reason.
Thinking of doing that too, or even picking up a 3rd Gandalf body+costume :lol :banghead

Just to have a hatted version on display. For myself *usually* I couldn't see covering/flattening the hair, tho it's an iconic look. Was also looking into maybe using a flocking spray/or kit - the kind used to line the inside of wood boxes (not Christmas trees) - and maybe try it on a plastic version of the hat, to give a more cloth look. (As an aside, the diehard fan can still get the real thing at Category: Movie Collection | Stansborough. They even sell a "mini" hat but it's way too big for 1/6 scale at 19cm).

My new heads apparently made it to Tennessee and hopefully will come tomorrow:panic:

I received my Gandalf the Grey replacement head on Friday and immediately took this unaltered image using natural lighting for comparison.

A much welcomed improvement and completely worth the purchase for me. Though I would’ve preferred getting it this way in the first place.

Very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I'll be happy enough to get new heads, which look great, but still feel the sculpt itself is - Gandalf, and ASMUS can be pretty proud of it....(y)
A few shots of the original, which IMO is so good I'd asked myself did I really need to replace (I did want a new head for V1. But - yeah, if this head is at the wrong angle, the zombie eyes :horror. And I never did anything with the movable eyes, for most figs, for me, they aren't needed. Jack Sparrow is the only fig I have where I think they are a useful ).

I was imagining Gandalf taking a rest on his journeying...working with this fig, still impressed with the costume (details and no skimping; great weathering, and you can work with it - IMO a great fig.) I think I'm happier about getting an excellent haired sculpt for my V1; wasn't a fan of the sculpted beard, but didn't have the time or skill set to Dremel it off and add rooted hair - so for me the new heads are awesome, thanks ASMUS!

Hopefully tomorrow the new heads will be in, more to play with. Congrats to those who have theirs already.

ASMUS_crown_gandalf_forest_opt.jpg

ASMUS_crown_gandalf_opt.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be happy enough to get new heads, which look great, but still feel the sculpt itself is - Gandalf, and ASMUS can be pretty proud of it....(y)
A few shots of the original, which IMO is so good I'd asked myself did I really need to replace (I did want a new head for V1. But - yeah, if this head is at the wrong angle, the zombie eyes :horror. And I never did anything with the movable eyes, for most figs, for me, they aren't needed. Jack Sparrow is the only fig I have where I think they are a useful ).

I was imagining Gandalf taking a rest on his journeying...working with this fig, still impressed with the costume (details and no skimping; great weathering, and you can work with it - IMO a great fig.) I think I'm happier about getting an excellent haired sculpt for my V1; wasn't a fan of the sculpted beard, but didn't have the time or skill set to Dremel it off and add rooted hair - so for me the new heads are awesome, thanks ASMUS!

Hopefully tomorrow the new heads will be in, more to play with. Congrats to those who have theirs already.

View attachment 662918

View attachment 662919

Sassafras, while I don't agree with your opinion on Asmus and the original stock Gandalf figure, I have enjoyed your enthusiasm for this license and products these past couple weeks I've been visiting the thread. :gandalf

Sassafras, while I don't agree with your opinion on Asmus and the original stock Gandalf figure, I have enjoyed your enthusiasm for this license and products these past couple weeks I've been visiting the thread. :gandalf
Nice, thank you! :duff

I'll always appreciate ASMUS' efforts who strike me - at least some of the company - as being real Middle Earth fans while keeping the cost reasonable (so far) and kind of thinking like a fan (all of both Bilbo's accessories for instance. )

As opposed to, say, Hot Toys who at their best are unbeatable but - there is my CW Bucky whose pants are too short, one of the lower legs falls off and he came with pretty much nothing. ASMUS doesn't skimp (like getting 2 versions of Legolas knives).

I hope I am as enthused about my first Inart figure (Aragorn) since I went for the deluxe version$$$

Back