Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asmus for the win. Was kinda shocked it was sent in such a big box with corner protectors to boot. The extras are a super nice touch. The GTG head is drop dead gorgeous. I will do some futzing and styling his hair after I get some sleep 😴- I just got off work.
IMG_5819.jpeg
IMG_5822.jpeg
IMG_5825.jpeg
IMG_5828.jpeg
IMG_5829.jpeg

I missed alot....
Were these given away?
Do we have to buy these?
I got my Crown GtG a while ago and I see new sculpts and I want one!
Thanks

I missed alot....
Were these given away?
Do we have to buy these?
I got my Crown GtG a while ago and I see new sculpts and I want one!
Thanks
You buy them.

The GTW sculpts are to serve as upgrades to the original, sculpted beard (non-Crown line) Gandalf the Whie.

The GTG sculpts are reworked Crown GTW sculpts to serve as an upgrade to the Crown (or non-Crown, I suppose) Gandalf the Grey heads. These do not have the rolling eyeball function that plagued the release of the Crown GTG.

All of the heads are rooted with care and therefore are taking a long time to produce, so the stock is limited and sells out fairly quick, but they have been restocking like once a month-ish.

Is the head pushed all the way down on the peg? I noticed in this and a few other pictures that the new head appears to be sitting too high above the shoulders like on Asmus' Saruman figure.
It is quite tricky to get the ball joint into the head because the hair reallty gets in the way... but I think it is sitting properly.

@Asmus Crown Gandalf the Grey upgraded sculpt arrived today and I was surprised the package was littered with all these extra goodies! The updated sculpted GtG hat, the Free Giveaway Anduril diecast sword and the mini Frodo. Wasn't expected, but was very appreciated! Thank you! As for the Upgraded sculpt it is a much better follow up from their original Crown sculpt. Though it's sad they abandoned the movable eyes, but its understandable why. Also I feel he's a bit too tan. Gandalf has been spending a lot of time in the sun!
20230918_153038.jpg
Picsart_23-09-18_15-58-03-339.jpg
20230918_155022.jpg
20230918_155014.jpg
20230918_154951.jpg
PSX_20230918_160024.jpg
PSX_20230918_160123.jpg
PSX_20230918_160051.jpg
PSX_20230918_160007.jpg
PSX_20230918_155916.jpg

InArt is superior in my opinion, despite the eyes looking a little more sunken than I'd like. Still, art has always been subjective.
Not sure I wanna get on this horse again:monkey3; the INART is beautiful for sure. But, for me, ironically, the issue is Gandalf is TOO good looking. I keep thinking of Sean Connery. Too healthy more...beefy. Hair worthy of Thorin Oakenshield. I just don't think of Gandalf that way. Don't get me wrong, if someone handed me one for free I'd be happy to have him. 😁

Anyway, I'll just echo
Jase 25, Holy *&^$ what a beautiful head (plus I got extras like this mini Nazgul) and kudos to ASMUS for a beautiful shipping job:clap:clap:clap - was even impressed with the hat, which doesn't have a plastic look - it's this kind of matte vinyl and there's even a padded magnet, which I wasn't expecting. My 2 Gandalfs are AWESOME:lol.

I gently water treated and futzed the hair, as I like my Gandalf feral.....great paint job too:blissy

ASMUS_crown_gandalf_portrait_opt.jpg

ASMUS_crown_gandalf_mountain_opt.jpg

ASMUSThorin_Gandalf_opt.jpg

ASMUS_crown_Gandalf_Nazgul_opt.jpg

The movies changed things, but Gandalf in the books took on some Nazgul at Weathertop...and lol Thorin getting yelled at by Gandalf for being snooty about all things elvish (happy to say one of ASMUS best IMO - Thorin - is holding up beautifully and remains a fav of mine.)

I gotta quit playing with Gandalf. :lol Thank you ASMUS - sure you are tired of Gandalf at this point:monkey3, but awesome job and a real treat to receive everything.:clap

Last edited:
@Asmus Crown Gandalf the Grey upgraded sculpt arrived today and I was surprised the package was littered with all these extra goodies! The updated sculpted GtG hat, the Free Giveaway Anduril diecast sword and the mini Frodo. Wasn't expected, but was very appreciated! Thank you! As for the Upgraded sculpt it is a much better follow up from their original Crown sculpt. Though it's sad they abandoned the movable eyes, but its understandable why. Also I feel he's a bit too tan. Gandalf has been spending a lot of time in the sun!
View attachment 663206View attachment 663207View attachment 663208View attachment 663209View attachment 663210View attachment 663211View attachment 663212View attachment 663213
What are you using for a base??

Yeah I have the InArt one ordered as well and think it will be incredible, I don’t think you can compare the two but that doesn’t stop me from loving this sculpt. I know for some reason there are collectors that feel the need to 💩 on one to elevate the one they like. It’s the same way some people will talk trash talk about Xbox or PlayStation instead of just being, “Can’t we just like both?”… I always found it weird because more choices and options are always welcome especially to collectors.

First of all I didn’t hate the original sculpt. It was always about how you lit the figure.
IMG_5834.jpeg

But the new sculpt just breathes new life into this. Anyway….after some futzing and the upgrade.
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5855.jpeg
IMG_5862.jpeg
IMG_5885.jpeg

Yeah I have the InArt one ordered as well and think it will be incredible, I don’t think you can compare the two but that doesn’t stop me from loving this sculpt. I know for some reason there are collectors that feel the need to 💩 on one to elevate the one they like. It’s the same way some people will talk trash talk about Xbox or PlayStation instead of just being, “Can’t we just like both?”… I always found it weird because more choices and options are always welcome especially to collectors.
Very well said. I never understand that either. Seems to happen across the board whenever there are two or more competing similar items regardless if it's figures, gaming systems, phones, etc.

There's a youtuber I watch for Transformer reviews and whenever he does side by side comparisons, he always says something along the lines of "it doesn't matter which one I pick as my preferred - whichever one you like means you win."

Last edited:
People like to dislike other products because that way they feel they belong to a better group/tribe and through that they are better than other people.
This applies ofc to many different things throughout our lifes not just 1/6.
They think owning a certain product elevates/empowers them.
Which is dumb as f.ck if you ask me.
I find that rather shallow.

Back