Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it sounds like you might be inexperienced at 1/6 collecting, I would like to recommend in a friendly manner that you should research these products on YouTube before buying. There is a sizable community of YouTube reviewers for 1/6 items. This is a known issue with this product, and you could save a bit of frustration by checking out reviews first.
I worked for a 6th scale toy company for several years, so I’m not exactly new to this. There is a line between product changes and something being absolutely unviable. You don’t have this toy, right?

We are giving out with Bilbo because it is the nearest LOTR release.

We make no promise to others like Ringhwraith or Gollum because there will be an additional thousands of hats to make, we cannot be sure if there is enough time.

We don't want to sell the hat as an individual piece, because there will be more unhappy customers if we try to sell this for money.

Gift with a purchase is only a quick way we can give to you for free, not forcing you to buy more things.

Please everyone, be understanding, there is no profit in this, we are not doing this to promote anything, only intention is to improve the Gandalf in your hand.
I understand and I have been supporting your company for a long time. I have pre-ordered the Nazgûl and am waiting for crown GTW and hopefully Sauron, and many more from you guys.

On the other hand, there has to be a way you can get this into the hands of people who purchased crown GTG.
I know you said you don’t want to give it out separately- and I understand - but maybe allow people to purchase it until it’s sold out and you can do an update when the next batch arrives?
Maybe it’s easier said than done but it’s some solution and gives people a choice to get it. If they purchase it at the same time as a pre-order you can include it ?

Last edited:
Boy it’s hot in here.

Imo for a $350 figure this shouldn’t even be a thing in the first place. The hat and the eyes should have been flagged up during quality control before even one figure was shipped out.

I’m sure most appreciate that Asmus are trying to find solutions to these issues but imo the best solution is just to get it right the first time.

This was sold as a premium product at a premium price tag, people have every right to be frustrated and disappointed with the final product.

Boy it’s hot in here.

Imo for a $350 figure this shouldn’t even be a thing in the first place. The hat and the eyes should have been flagged up during quality control before even one figure was shipped out.

I’m sure most appreciate that Asmus are trying to find solutions to these issues but imo the best solution is just to get it right the first time.

This was sold as a premium product at a premium price tag, people have every right to be frustrated and disappointed with the final product.
Well. Until they announced new hats and eyes there was less moaning in this thread.
Isn't it ironic?

Well. Until they announced new hats and eyes there was less moaning in this thread.
Isn't it ironic?
The problem isn’t the hat and eyes. I think everyone was very grateful and relieved that they were doing that. There was no complaining anywhere.

The problem is that Asmus states that they can’t ship these out for free because they’d lose money. Again, no problem with that. Completely understandable. But their solution isn’t just to charge people a nominal fee plus shipping costs, it’s to make them buy a figure they might not want to get it.

Now, I’ve been a very big defender of Asmus. I don’t believe it makes sense to be rude to them. They’re trying. But this is really ****** to me. All I can think is Bilbo sales aren’t great, or they’re still hurting after the Ash debacle and need more sales, and this is their way of boosting them.

I would glad pay them $40 for the hat and eyeballs plus full shipping price. Much cheaper than ordering the InArt version. But this isn’t an option. I don’t want Bilbo. I want Elves and warriors in my LOTR collection. I have no hobbits because I want no hobbits. But if I want a Gandalf hat I now need a hobbit.

You can’t see how that would annoy people?

Asmus made it clear. If you want it, you will get it sooner or later (there will be several production runs).
If you want it sooner, some folks with Old Bilbo will share or sell it. Period.

This.

They are not forcing anyone to buy anything. What they are trying makes sense to me. Don't understand the complains.

Yes, this wouldn't have happend if they've got it right the first time. But they didn't.
They can't change the past, but they are trying to find a way to repair their mistake. Kudos to that.
I display my Gandalf without hat anyway. So no hurry for me. Whether I'll get it sooner or later, I will be happy about it.

The problem isn’t the hat and eyes. I think everyone was very grateful and relieved that they were doing that. There was no complaining anywhere.

The problem is that Asmus states that they can’t ship these out for free because they’d lose money. Again, no problem with that. Completely understandable. But their solution isn’t just to charge people a nominal fee plus shipping costs, it’s to make them buy a figure they might not want to get it.

Now, I’ve been a very big defender of Asmus. I don’t believe it makes sense to be rude to them. They’re trying. But this is really ****** to me. All I can think is Bilbo sales aren’t great, or they’re still hurting after the Ash debacle and need more sales, and this is their way of boosting them.

I would glad pay them $40 for the hat and eyeballs plus full shipping price. Much cheaper than ordering the InArt version. But this isn’t an option. I don’t want Bilbo. I want Elves and warriors in my LOTR collection. I have no hobbits because I want no hobbits. But if I want a Gandalf hat I now need a hobbit.

Asmus answered several times. That this is not the only way to get the hat free. How many times does it have to be repeated?
You do not have to buy figures tо get the hat. Are they giving it to the wrong people? Maybe. Should they have planned it differently? Maybe. But, this is not a limited run available only by buying Bilbo or making purchases during this month. Yes, these customers will get it sooner, and for free. But Asmus is going to provide it to those who are looking for it, later too.
I am still expecting my Frodo nicely painted head. And still awaiting the Crown Gandal's head. So, I am not completely happy with how long all this takes. But I can wait, if it will be delivered.

Last edited:

Do you have both “non character” elves that Asmus made. If not and you thought about getting one they apparently will ship the hat with them.

Asmus made it clear. If you want it, you will get it sooner or later (there will be several production runs).
If you want it sooner, some folks with Old Bilbo will share or sell it. Period.
This isn’t true at all. Asmus has only made it clear that they will not provide the hat without shipping with a seperate purchase. They clearly said that selling hats individually was not an option (because it will make people “angry”).

You and others have defended this decision by proclaiming that Asmus will actually ship this hat independently. But again, Asmus has not said this.

It’s amazing to me how many people think it’s unreasonable to expect a plan from a company on how to fix something that is their responsibility.

Last edited:
I'm getting so tired of the complaining. Asmus didn't have to do anything. How often do we hear complaints about Hot Toys? They give us cheap pleather jackets and suits that peel after a year. Do they do anything?
Daily. (y)

I'm getting so tired of the complaining. Asmus didn't have to do anything. How often do we hear complaints about Hot Toys? They give us cheap pleather jackets and suits that peel after a year. Do they do anything?
A problem with deterioration a year after purchase is a reason to not purchase from the company anymore. An expensive item arriving and not matching what was advertised is also a reason not to purchase anymore.

The issue is that Asmus is halfway to making this right. They see the problem, they’re working to fix it. That’s fantastic. But the fix isn’t ideal if it will not reach the customers of the product.

Did Asmus “have” to do anything? No. Of course not. They could instead just choose to lose business.

Do you have both “non character” elves that Asmus made. If not and you thought about getting one they apparently will ship the hat with them.
My LOTR Asmus collection is:

Boromir
Faramir
Gimli
Elrond
Eomer
Theoden
Arwen
Galadriel
Last Alliance soldier x2
Gandalf
Legolas

So as much as I’d be happy to buy a figure accommodate getting a hat, they don’t have much that fits what I collect right now. If the new Boromir was available I’d get that but I just don’t see a workaround without getting something I don’t want.

If this were all happening in a diner…

CUSTOMER 1: Excuse me… I ordered a hamburger. But the bun on this burger…

RESTAURANT: Yes?

CUSTOMER 1: It’s made of cardboard.

RESTAURANT: Ah yes. We had a problem in the kitchen and unfortunately the hamburger buns did not come out as we hoped.

CUSTOMER 1: Okay… but I can’t eat this. Can I get a bun?

RESTAURANT: Yes of course! We are preparing buns now, and we will deliver them with your pie!

CUSTOMER 1: Wait what…? I don’t want pie. Can I just have the bun? For the burger I already have?

RESTAURANT: No… I’m sorry. We cannot provide a bun directly to you. That would be impossible. But have no fear… we have plans to make many buns! So many that there will be buns everywhere!

CUSTOMER 1: So… I will get a bun for this hamburger? Without buying pie? I mean… at this point I’ll just pay for the bun if that helps.

RESTAURANT: No no no… again that is not possible. You must order the pie. Pie is the way.

CUSTOMER 1: Listen. I don’t want pie.

RESTAURANT: Bah! We knew people would be mad! But we wanted to make it right. But people are mad anyway!

CUSTOMER 1: I’m not mad… I just want to give you money so I can have the thing I already ordered and paid for. Can I just do that?

CUSTOMER 2: Hey… leave the restaurant alone!

CUSTOMER 1: What?

CUSTOMER 3: Yeah! You keep bullying the restaurant, they might never offer to sell us replacement hamburger buns again!

CUSTOMER 4: Right? So whiny!

CUSTOMER 1: I just want the bun I ordered. It’s pretty integral to the burger…

CUSTOMER 2: They said you’ll get one! They said there will be free buns for everyone!

CUSTOMER 1: They didn’t actually say that. They said I would have to buy pie-

CUSTOMER 3: So whiny!

CUSTOMER 4: It’s not a problem for me. I like pie! I ordered lots of pie!

CUSTOMER 1: None of this is helping…

CUSTOMER 2: So much complaining!

CUSTOMER 3: You can also just make your own bun using the recipe printed on the cardboard bun!

CUSTOMER 4: You’re acting so entitled!

CUSTOMER 1: You know what? I think I’ll just leave.

RESTAURANT: Another satisfied customer!

Last edited:
Back