Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a custom artist was to make a set of eyes that are seated at the proper depth to the face, then almost everyone that has a GtG would get them.
I know I would. I mean after spending €391 with shipping, I would drop another €100 on a properly modified head sculpt. At least that would give me a Crown GTG and not its shadow.

If a custom artist was to make a set of eyes that are seated at the proper depth to the face, then almost everyone that has a GtG would get them.
I’ve wondered if you could just take the eyes out, dremel the inside of Gandalfs head to shave away some excess plastic (that presumably prevents them from sitting right behind the eyelids) and then pop the eyes back in.

I certainly wouldn’t be the one to attempt that experiment on my copy but, maybe if the Gandalf heads are ever made available separately, it could become an option.

I’ve wondered if you could just take the eyes out, dremel the inside of Gandalfs head to shave away some excess plastic (that presumably prevents them from sitting right behind the eyelids) and then pop the eyes back in.

I certainly wouldn’t be the one to attempt that experiment on my copy but, maybe if the Gandalf heads are ever made available separately, it could become an option.

That's what people tried to do with the DX Indy sculpt ... but it didn't help, the sculpt is still no good. This sculpt has the same problem, they changed the actual sculpt of the eye sockets to accommodate the eyes. That's a key part of the likeness there.

If you're going so far to carve out the eye sockets, you might as well just plug them/sculpt the eyes back in, and paint the eyes in yourself.

Given the delay on getting out the individual GTG heads for upgrading the old figure, any chance of just releasing it without the movable eyes instead @Asmus ?

Given the delay on getting out the individual GTG heads for upgrading the old figure, any chance of just releasing it without the movable eyes instead @Asmus ?
Doubtful. The walls of head are actually pretty thin to sit onto the magnetic neck connector. It really is an inelegant implementation. To add insult, once you set the eyes, which are hard to see to start, you can hit the control knobs trying to get the head on the neck connector and must start over. Lessons for Asmus—don’t overhype and underdeliver. This was an engineering leap for them when they haven’t mastered consistent delivery of good likenesses of characters. Why?

Still have all the Asmus figures but would happily start all over if another company had the license. HD Aragorn is not displayed since I don’t have room and the HS still crushes me that it hasn’t improved on the third attempt. Prayin they nail Golum but am no longer expecting much so can only be pleasantly surprised vs majorly disappointed.

18C5BFE4-2473-4443-A8C5-0F6B970C6ACA.jpeg
35DAB04E-1A1C-483B-A960-68C9075DD5AA.jpeg
ADDE41A8-4D30-4A69-810A-F36A38D0E6CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s a great LOTR collection, IndyDave. :rock

I broke down and preordered thru SS since Asmus has sold out and I imagine SS isn’t far behind on that either. Got Frodo ordered thru Asmus though. I don’t have room for much but I thought I needed a couple from the Fellowship at least.

It will be way more expensive
True, but I really want a proper GtG and Asmus were darn close with how the prototype looked and Im sure everyone would be in love if the end product turned the same (the hat is not really an issue for me). Well, still waiting for mine to come from kghobby (should be in by the end of the week) and make up my own mind. IndyDave pics above gave me a lil hope although the issue with the eyes is still visible. I may end up just opening to inspect and then putting it up for sale, which would make me really sad becase I so much wanted a good GtG being my fav char (yes, I love wizzards).

Doubtful. The walls of head are actually pretty thin to sit onto the magnetic neck connector. It really is an inelegant implementation. To add insult, once you set the eyes, which are hard to see to start, you can hit the control knobs trying to get the head on the neck connector and must start over. Lessons for Asmus—don’t overhype and underdeliver. This was an engineering leap for them when they haven’t mastered consistent delivery of good likenesses of characters. Why?

Still have all the Asmus figures but would happily start all over if another company had the license. HD Aragorn is not displayed since I don’t have room and the HS still crushes me that it hasn’t improved on the third attempt. Prayin they nail Golum but am no longer expecting much so can only be pleasantly surprised vs majorly disappointed.

View attachment 565593View attachment 565594View attachment 565595
beautiful my friend!!

I watched How To Be a Poser yesterday and I thought Gandalf looked awesome in it. I’m still excited to be getting this but I’m really curious to see what Queen Studio comes up with. Mostly interested in a Strider from them.

I watched How To Be a Poser yesterday and I thought Gandalf looked awesome in it. I’m still excited to be getting this but I’m really curious to see what Queen Studio comes up with. Mostly interested in a Strider from them.
I am in the same boat as you there.
1646667450387.png

Considering how long it took for my SooSoo Butcher to come home, I should be getting it by the end of the week. That will not stop me from getting QS GtG if it proves to be the definitive version.

Back