Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally got mine to look about like i wanted him to!
(wrinkled hat and all)

Looks great! Loving the draping cloak -water treatment?
The eye direction definitely helps and you?ve managed to get a respectable hat going too!
I?m actually in no rush to get my order later in the year. Just enjoying everyone?s modifications and futzing to bring out the best in this figure for now, so thanks for sharing your work. Makes me feel better about ordering one.[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After sitting on the figure (not literally) for weeks I finally opened and displayed it.
Masterpiece!
I must respectfully disagree with the detractors.

After sitting on the figure (not literally) for weeks I finally opened and displayed it.
Masterpiece!
I must respectfully disagree with the detractors.
Glad to see another person that loves this piece. People can quote me that years down the road people will indeed be kicking themselves for sleeping on this release.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Can't believe Asmus still hasn't sent me an invoice and I ordered it day 1 from them. Screw it, I'll get it from sideshow.

I just got my figure and got to say I really like it. This is pretty well straight out of the box no alterations done. I don't see really any issues with the hat that people have been talking about. Mine sits straight on his head. I really like the hat and will be displaying him with it. One thing off with my Gandalf was the hair on the sculpt. a few spots are clumped together and don't sit flat on the head.

Also, I really love his shoes they look great. Even the bottom of the sole is beaten and weathered.

I Feel they did nail the scale for the display. Looks meant for a hobbit.

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Looks great! Loving the draping cloak -water treatment?
The eye direction definitely helps and you?ve managed to get a respectable hat going too!
I?m actually in no rush to get my order later in the year. Just enjoying everyone?s modifications and futzing to bring out the best in this figure for now, so thanks for sharing your work. Makes me feel better about ordering one.[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you, and Yes, lots and lots of water!

Got mine from Sideshow today and here are my main first thoughts:

1. This figure looks way better in hand than most photos would have you believe. And I 100% believe it's due to the glossiness of the eyes. It makes photographing him very difficult. The likeness, in hand, is pretty exceptional.

2. I don't really care for the base, and really wished they had included an alternate simple one as well.

Here are some quick photos, straight out of the box, with very minimal futzing

DSCF0474.jpg
DSCF0478.jpg
DSCF0502.jpg

Got mine from Sideshow today and here are my main first thoughts:

1. This figure looks way better in hand than most photos would have you believe. And I 100% believe it's due to the glossiness of the eyes. It makes photographing him very difficult. The likeness, in hand, is pretty exceptional.

2. I don't really care for the base, and really wished they had included an alternate simple one as well.

Here are some quick photos, straight out of the box, with very minimal futzing

View attachment 512150
View attachment 512151
View attachment 512152
Very good pics and the last one in particular is extremely good. I believe this figure looks the best from its side and 3/4 angle.

Inviato dal mio Pixel 2 XL utilizzando Tapatalk

Got to opening mine. Yeah the super glossy eyes.. its actually not a big problem apart from trying to add additional light to photograph.
Natural light its not as big an issue.

Everything is great, pretty much what I expected from all the reviews on this thread and youtube. I can't stop messing with that hair... its getting obsessive. But I do agree it takes so much patience. First the top part of the hair is really hairsprayed down so you need to dab water onto it, melt some of that gunk, and slowly pull out strands. Another thing is that the hair is light and puffy, you need to pad down the ends of the hair to the cloak to make it look like it has some weight. Anyways.... i probably spent over an hour... its a mix of fun, satisfying and annoying.

One nitpick though... man... Asmus really cheaped out on painting the hands. The sculpt is fine but the nails are the same color as skin and no skin texture spots.
Still... great figure, glad i FINALLY have him....

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-01 at 10.31.58 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-05-01 at 10.32.27 AM.jpeg

Got to opening mine. Yeah the super glossy eyes.. its actually not a big problem apart from trying to add additional light to photograph.
Natural light its not as big an issue.

Everything is great, pretty much what I expected from all the reviews on this thread and youtube. I can't stop messing with that hair... its getting obsessive. But I do agree it takes so much patience. First the top part of the hair is really hairsprayed down so you need to dab water onto it, melt some of that gunk, and slowly pull out strands. Another thing is that the hair is light and puffy, you need to pad down the ends of the hair to the cloak to make it look like it has some weight. Anyways.... i probably spent over an hour... its a mix of fun, satisfying and annoying.

One nitpick though... man... Asmus really cheaped out on painting the hands. The sculpt is fine but the nails are the same color as skin and no skin texture spots.
Still... great figure, glad i FINALLY have him....

View attachment 512175View attachment 512176

i can't wait to receive mine! He looks amazing!!!

I do wonder, most of the people seem to dislike the glossy eyes but the biggest remark I have is the moustache. Most of them look so unnatural. :/

I do wonder, most of the people seem to dislike the glossy eyes but the biggest remark I have is the moustache. Most of them look so unnatural. :/

All my attention was on the eyes. Now I can't unsee the 1980s toothbrush moustache :lol

All my attention was on the eyes. Now I can't unsee the 1980s toothbrush moustache :lol

It is brutal up close, but to be honest, at "normal" viewing distance, it's not as noticeable. But some have worked on adding "hair" to the 'stache and it has made a big difference. I'll be trying that myself.

mZEsE9q.jpg

i2VHCPY.jpg

iWyZJkl.jpg

XDWqGi3.jpg

Got mine in from BBTS yesterday; the hair/beard was pretty wild out of the box. First time I've really dealt with doing water treatment on hair. It's not final but it's way better. There's some thick parts of the hair shaped together on the top that I'll have to work on and I'll look at some movie pics to get a better idea of how it should actually look. I'm glad the mustache area on mine looks pretty good though overall.

For the staff/pipe, is there any images of what to drill out if I wanted to put the pipe in? When someone mentioned it a while ago about just drilling a hole, I thought it'd be obvious, but I don't see anywhere it would go.

Back