Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think they're branding any character they can as Lord of the Rings in promo images, but they are actually Hobbit figures, like Saruman. They said that Lord of the Rings figures have out sold the Hobbit figures. They're probably generating more interest by having the promo images say Lord of the Rings.. If you look on Asmus's site, Gandalf's code is HOBT04. When you go to their products page, he's listed in a drop down menu for the Hobbit, not Lord of the Rings.

I personally would much prefer the Lord of the Rings based head sculpt, but I'll take what I can get right now. If they offer a new head later on, I would be cool with that.
That's a great observation. Thanks for pointing that out. It doesn't matter to me which one I have, but like I said, if given the opportunity, I'd probably buy both.

Well, I think they're branding any character they can as Lord of the Rings in promo images, but they are actually Hobbit figures... If you look on Asmus's site, Gandalf's code is HOBT04.

Clever girl.

I believe you are correct.

As I will always pose my Grey Gandalf with the hat and with messy hair, the actual hairline on the scalp means little to me. I think this withered wizard will represent the Grey very well.

I would however like to update my Gandalf the White with a better headsculpt now. And I hope that a new headsculpt based on that original Grey sculpt makes itself available in some way. Maybe a reduced price for people who purchased the original White... or a discount toward a future purchase.

I know this is a joke but I don't think that's what most of us have been saying. In fact I'm pretty sure nearly everyone has praised the non-sculpt aspects of the figure, and most have expressed happiness with the sculpt. Most here are trying to be constructive.

"This figure looks like really good cosplay, but not Ian Mckellen (if that's how you spell his name). This is less Gandalf and more the guy who sat in front of me getting high at a Phish"

"im not liking it, doesnt look like ian mckellen"

"Looks like balding, zombie Gandalf."

"Even without the wrinkles and looking too old, I just can't see any likeness similarities in the new sculpt."

Yes, most people are being fair, but in a quick read of two pages, that's what I got.

It's not like a Hot Toys thread. People should remember that Asmus is good enough to maintain a presence here and keep their critiques respectful. Comments about cosplay and the like are a bit otp.

It's not like a Hot Toys thread. People should remember that Asmus is good enough to maintain a presence here and keep their critiques respectful. Comments about cosplay and the like are a bit otp.

Yep. We're blessed that Asmus take an active interest in this board unlike virtually every other company, and we don't want to drive them away.

To all the wonderful people at Asmus,

Thank you for your tireless efforts to bring us the best figures possible. Thank you for the instances when you have gone above and beyond to correct previous issues with quality at no expense to us. Thank you for participating on this forum and listening to fan input.

It will always be the case that you cannot please all of the people all of the time. Pretty much majority rules. There are cases when preferences are evenly split. Some people like rooted hair, some sculpted. Some like a character to look like they did in one movie, some another. Some even think a particular facial expression more adequately represents a certain character. When there is an ability to meet multiple preferences, as in this case, it would be nice to see that route taken. An alternate Gandalf sculpt has already been developed. Why not offer it to those who desire something different? Kaustic Plastik met fans requests for an alternate headsculpt for their upcoming William Wallace figure, and they had to start from scratch. Would you please consider offering the original Gandalf sculpt as an optional add on? Even if you plan on using this as the replacement Gandalf the White head, you could always offer two paint options, one with white hair, one with grey.

Thank you for your time.

Pre-ordered.

Also I swear I've seen a still of Gandalf from BotFA somewhere where he looked exactly like this, wrinkles, expression, hairline and all.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I would however like to update my Gandalf the White with a better headsculpt now. And I hope that a new headsculpt based on that original Grey sculpt makes itself available in some way. Maybe a reduced price for people who purchased the original White... or a discount toward a future purchase.

I hope there's an update on the new Gandalf the White head sculpt soon. I really would like to update him soon.

Look, I'm in. It looks good and I'm pleased with it so far. I wouldn't have preordered if I didn't think so. That being said, I would happily buy the sculpted head too, especially if it was part of an incentive program, like show your COA and get a discount. Asmus is good to us, and I think with Saruman and Aragorn they've proved they make a top tier product.

Hi Asmus, i'm happy with Gandalf the Grey and have preordered it. Would like to know more about the updated sculpt for Gandalf the White... Thanks

attachment.php

I agree , the original sculpt on the left looked a lot better, but the new one isn't so bad. No idea why they decided to change him this point in the game. The eyes, the shape of the foreahead, and the eyebrowns look much better on the version on the left.

I agree old headsculpt just perfection. New one is amazing as well but old one just have better likeliness of Sir Ian Mckellen. And I think Asmus screwed again hairline just like Aragorn. Asmus if you read this, hair is part of likeliness, a little shape change can affect likeliness so much

the hairline does indeed need to form more of a peak. i think that would help the newer sculpt.

I think the paint app will help soften the wrinkles of this 'older' looking GTG. But the question is, Is it too late? I mean May is just 2 months ahead. I am ok with this version of the headsculpt and paint but would certainly wait a few more months so that it could be improved to its full potential.

I am just glad ASMUS is doing this line otherwise I don't want to be forced to go to the customs route in figure collecting.

Its just right around corner now~
Will be ready before shipping out GtG !

Cool, can't wait to have it... are you planning on release even the original gandalf the grey sculpt you showed us in the beginning? I think that you can sell it as accessory pack to please fans of sculpted air...

Inviato dal mio SM-T535 utilizzando Tapatalk

The first sculpt was better (even if unpainted sculpts always seem better because you fill the details with your mind) in almost every way. It's not rooted hair fault, though: shape of the nose, cheeks, brow, eyebags (in particular)...everything looked spot on on the original proto. :(

Back