Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting seeing the wide range of responses to this figure. I will freely admit that I am probably biased due to my love of all things Middle Earth so I am probably looking at it through rose colored glasses. I love the figure overall. The nickpicks I would mention are the loose ankles (it's a pet peeve of mine) and bald areas of the sculpt. I do agree he looks more Hobbit than LOTR but I believe if you go way back to when he was first mentioned they referenced the Hobbit. I believe they then tried to add the extra stuff and market him as all inclusive (or more LOTR) but I could be wrong. Personally I still think he stacks up there pretty close to Hot Toys level. He's better than some Hot Toy releases and not there yet compared to their better ones. Anyway that's my quick take. Also I own two of these. The one at work and one at home. Only Hot Toys figure I have two of is DX Jack Sparrow and that was because a great deal came up on the 2nd one.

IMO, true. IMO sure, there's room for improvement - the sparse hair, the *baffling* use of a two part head. But IMO this is an amazing Gandalf and I was HAPPY when I opened the box. No shnozz like an aardvark. Beautifully done face IMO. Outstanding costume materials and great finishing. I'm looking at a comparatively priced HT fig right now with one plastic accessory and no scenic base.

And IMO the face is the thing - I wouldn't buy GtW. Merry and Pippin disturb me, tho folks say they are better in hand. I worry about the portraits for Legolas, a potential Thorin, Bilbo, Thranduil. "Human" portraits always seem to be the hardest - HT can be outstanding but I have all 3 HT JS and the first two sort of look like relatives of JS to me, as compared to the stunning DX JS release. Close, but no cigar.

So don't think it's rose-colored glasses. IMO this is a terrific Gandalf that's fun to work with, out of the box, and think my $$$ were well spent. I'd keep him even if ASMUS released a "deluxe" Gandalf in the future, that's "better". Because it's a great Gandalf, IMO. Outstanding job when there are figs/sculpts coming out priced 2x-3x as high, and some have me cringing re the face. Plus the great costume and lavish use of materials - IMO that's worth a lot, these days, when folks are mentioning re pricey figures I was looking at that "the buttons pop off and the weapons fall off and there's no switch-out portrait". IMO kudos to ASMUS for GtG.
:gandalf

IMO, true. IMO sure, there's room for improvement - the sparse hair, the *baffling* use of a two part head. But IMO this is an amazing Gandalf and I was HAPPY when I opened the box. No shnozz like an aardvark. Beautifully done face IMO. Outstanding costume materials and great finishing. I'm looking at a comparatively priced HT fig right now with one plastic accessory and no scenic base.

And IMO the face is the thing - I wouldn't buy GtW. Merry and Pippin disturb me, tho folks say they are better in hand. I worry about the portraits for Legolas, a potential Thorin, Bilbo, Thranduil. "Human" portraits always seem to be the hardest - HT can be outstanding but I have all 3 HT JS and the first two sort of look like relatives of JS to me, as compared to the stunning DX JS release. Close, but no cigar.

Don't fall for it--Merry and Pippin look EXACTLY the same in person as they do in photos, sunburned Santa Claus-like red cheeks and all. I bought them because I desperately wanted the first-ever 1/6 M&P figures to be great, but the paints apps on their faces are awful, as is Pippin's likeness.

Grisnakh, however, looks like a real masterpiece, as does that Mouth of Sauron.

:clap Great pics! If I squint, the second one looks almost like a movie poster or screen shot!

Don't fall for it--Merry and Pippin look EXACTLY the same in person as they do in photos, sunburned Santa Claus-like red cheeks and all. I bought them because I desperately wanted the first-ever 1/6 M&P figures to be great, but the paints apps on their faces are awful, as is Pippin's likeness.

Grisnakh, however, looks like a real masterpiece, as does that Mouth of Sauron.

Agree on Grisnakh and MOS. An artist friend tells me re human portraits, it's just the tiniest thing makes a portrait look like someone else. That said, kudos to ASMUS IMO for working at it and involving community. IMO w. other, older companies some stuff I read is pretty questionable re putting out poor quality and off portraits. It's not like poly and art/action figures are cheap.

Plus, put out a questionable product and it doesn't sell, then the company says "line X didn't sell". Maybe there's lack of interest, or maybe, tho, folks are tired of buying stuff that doesn't match prototype or w. googly eyes. Am sorry re Pippin and Merry if folks aren't happy; don't know if a repaint would help?

Just followed up my Gandalf review with him in my new video for Grishnakh. I love how well they go together.

Received mine ! :)

29633077010_5f4ed31e47_k.jpg

29633073870_6fc8997c70_k.jpg

29299704794_3e308ef71b_k.jpg

Awesome pictures everyone! Such a fantastic figure! Sixxshooter can't wait to see your pics

I'm getting him Thursday . I'm also getting armored Batman as well . The same day . I'll try to have photos by this weekend . I have to keep it low around the wife . She would kill me if see seen me come home with 2 figures . I have to slowly sneak them into the collection.

I went ahead and cancelled today just dont have room in my wallet sadly. I'LL keep my 1/4 Gandalf so still happy just too many X-MEN orders flying in on me. X-men and o.t star wars has always been on my biggest wants in 1/6. Congrats to who gets my order from Sideshow.

I went ahead and cancelled today just dont have room in my wallet sadly. I'LL keep my 1/4 Gandalf so still happy just too many X-MEN orders flying in on me. X-men and o.t star wars has always been on my biggest wants in 1/6. Congrats to who gets my order from Sideshow.

Sorry if you will miss this Gandalf - but - too much good stuff out there $$$. Hafta pick and choose. Unless you are rich, I guess.

Back