Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine last night. BEAUTIFUL FIGURE!

I need to glue the scabbard loops and give him a good soaking (and see what can be done about the ankles), but I'm very, very pleased!

Thank you, Asmus!

Everything I hoped GTG would be - ASMUS outdid themselves IMO!!!!

Oh, wow. Had an anxious weekend coz *&^%$ UPS come so early couldn't sign for the package (still asleep*&^%$:mad:) and had to pick up the Gray Pilgrim yesterday at the UPS store...

Haven't had time to really, really sit down and futz/play, but IMO after all the angst, kudos to ASMUS! ASMUS mentioned how much their whole team worked and sweated over this figure - well, IMO it shows - this is IMO an AMAZING job. A bit long-winded here, but am just so HAPPY.:cool:

Stuff I love:

1) Sculpt. Like a lot of folks, some early pics had me going, since this guy was already on pre-order...well, for me, this is just stunning, and that's looking at this guy from inches away. Delicate, perfectly done facial lines and wrinkles, accurate to the actor:clap. Beautifully painted eyes. Love the expression - it's great, somehow, if you tilt the head one way, Gandalf looks firm, fierce, determined, tilt it another and he looks pensive, wistful, and tilt it another and he looks thoughtful. And I was really worried about getting googly eyes or something....

Never mind the hand sculpts, and love the vinyl ASMUS is using. Firm, but stuff pops into the hands easily. I even like the beard sculpt which IMO has a beautiful flow, tho I prefer rooted hair.

2) Since I like crafts and hand work, can't say enough about the clothes:clap. Love, love, love, the clothes - my favorite may be the outer cloak, because there was no skimping on material - the cloak has this terrific sweep and drape, and IMO the material for the cloak and robe is just perfect - not too bulky, allows for plenty of drape and volume and gathering, neither too stiff nor too flimsy. Did I say I love the cloak? I love the cloak. I love that I'm able to have a dramatic sweep of cloak, or wrap it around Gandalf.

AND IMO the tailoring and stitching is incredible as is the trim work. Gandalf's trousers have little tiny, tiny, stitches in the little tiny, tiny, hem.
The hat and bag made of nice faux suede - no skimping there, either. Just amazing tailoring and stitching with superb finishing and choice of trim - no easy thing when you are dealing on a small scale. Holy *&^^%$!!!! LOL, move over HT!!!!!:lol

3) Accessories! Was worried I wouldn't get the "Hobbit" staff had preordered via Sideshow, but there it was, all three staffs, lined up in the box.
Because for display, I wanted to get the effect of the Comic Con AUJ poster...
https://www.hypable.com/peter-jackson-unveils-gorgeous-the-hobbit-comic-con-poster-featuring-gandalf/

I'm thinking of matching this, for display. At least for a while. Until I decide to change things up...

Anyway, really happy to have all three staffs, and they all look great. And there's the actual metal sword. AND love the base. Gandalf can sit on it, and have his pipe, stand on it, it just adds to the whole package...speaking of....

4) Packaging. Maybe a minor thing, but hope ASMUS will read this because I noticed - IMO beautiful box made of a great "coated/"clay" coated stock that feels soft, w. nice embossing - usually don't even pay that much attention to BOXES but thoroughly appreciated the box and packaging - hope ASMUS keeps with whatever company is doing their boxes and packaging (of course, hope this is recycled paper *cough*). ANYWAY IMO it's a beautiful box w. foam inserts - quality!!!

So, months ago, I needed a Gandalf.:cool:

And the choice was between WETA's poly and this - I like both media, but with 1:6 course you can play. Futz. Change things up. I'd still like to get the WETA Gandalf $$$ but at the moment am so happy w. this fig. Looking at him sitting on a table across the room and this fig just screams Gandalf:blissy:

As far as any "nits" to pick at - for me *shrug*. The face, hands, clothes were big deals for me. Especially (possibly) the eyes or a melted face/parts (which may have had shipping damage for all I knew - it's hot where I am but fortunately that didn't happen and I had no damage (except very slight dent to the inner box) or missing parts.)

So, my Gandalf IMO could definitely use more hair. It's pretty sparse:eek:. VISUALLY IMO it looks fine, more or less, and I can see why ASMUS was cautious. Too much hair, the head gets bigger, then you have to remake the hat, and then the head looks too big - proportion, proportion, with a hat-wearing figure everything effects everything else. Didn't need Gandalf to look like a bobblehead. And it's likely I'll display w. the hat *shrug*.

And there is a LOT of dried goop in the hair, on mine. He's gonna need a wash, definitely. You can't even separate it - someone was too enthusiastic w. the hair gel on mine LOL. Though he DOES look like he's been on the road, which I like. I may or may not enhance the hair.
It's harder for me to get worked up about it when the figure will usually be displayed w. a hat - still, IMO, so more waves of hair wouldn't hurt. Hafta see after the shampooing.

LOL my "nits" are SO minor. For me. Well, OK, there's a bead in the staff and I can see the hole. Way too easy to pop that out and replace w. a crystal or piece of glass or make a resin crystal.....OK, so one day I'll probably replace the belts w. real leather....

Haven't tried to switch the hands yet - but is there a wrist peg thing? No extra wrist pegs were included, and thought ASMUS was including those? Maybe my Gandalf's ankles will need help *shrug*. But those amazing boots they put on him:clap!

So, ASMUS, if you read this, it's a HAPPY CUSTOMER post. VERY happy. I'd buy your team a round of drinks for wonderful job! I may put up some pics at some point, but my Gandalf looks as good as everyone else's which is a good thing, because I was jealous of folks who got theirs earlier. It's pretty much the Gandalf that I wanted, as love the Hobbit films (and LOTR) and IMO now we have lots of options with this fig. Keep up great work (and definitely keep whoever is doing the clothes for these figures!)

Now I need Hobbit Thorin and Bilbo. And Thranduil. (BTW tho you can't go light with the hair on those guys. Especially Thorin and Hobbit Bilbo. I'd pay more for great hair for those guys - just sayin'. Srsly one character is known for an amazing lion's mane of hair and the other for this head of "coppery curls" - and IMO no plastic hair on those three. Or Gimli. And just sayin' I might buy a Legolas, depending, but so many renditions of him already am kind of Legolas-weary - how about his daddy, instead?:lol WITH twin katanas....)

It's taken weeks to get this in hand, and IMO this GtG is worth every penny. I'm wondering that this is THE Gandalf, as figs/statues go. Sure, there are enhancements that could be done, maybe. But wonder when that's getting into the "custom fig" area - and there's plenty of little things to do to set off this figure. Tho I just don't have the strength of character to add weathering to those perfect little boots.:cool:

PS. Did I say I love the cloak? And the hat....and Gandalf's eye color is perfect.....:gandalf

Re: Everything I hoped GTG would be - ASMUS outdid themselves IMO!!!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
So whatever happen to the "Free head replacement" when you ordered the Grey version and owned the white version with the squished head? I remember talk of that over a year ago, guessing Asmus just decided it was against their best interest financially to offer that?

I just ordered this version from Asmus directly as the sculpt looks so much better, I would love to keep my White version as well but am afraid the head sculpt will look horrible next to this improved version now (the rest of the figure was great and I do have Shadowfax).

Love what you've done with the figure. That's some expert futzing right there.

I received mine today as well. Overall really nice out of the box already, you can tell a lot of care want into this figure.
Can't help modifying him though. :lol First up will be weathering the boots and clothing. Have my fax mohair here as well, and I want to do something about those eyebrows. Will be hard to colour match that nice skintone, though. Will have to work up some courage to attempt that.

Didn't know that, too bad:( At least he was able to accomplish something cool in life..........and I'm mostly serious.

:lol Yes. Well, he was the milkman on Eastenders for 31 years, so at least it's not just that - Michael Leader. Cool and funny thing to be remembered for though. Respect.

Haven't done much to Gandalf yet, only weathered his clothing slightly with a wood file and sand paper. Still need to rough it up some more before I weather it with paint. Also put some tinfoil in his hat to pose it a bit.
Already really loving the look of him with hardly any modifications.
Still lots to do, but only because I enjoy modding him, not because I feel it's really necessary.

IMG_0464_2_small.jpg

Got this guy last Friday and I love him! I think he's my favorite of the Asmus figures I have yet. I love the layering you can do with his costume with the scarf and bag and over cloak. (I've left the scarf off though: I think it looks a bit too big.) He looks like he's about to go on an adventure at any moment!

Beautiful displays, Rzeznikk!

Gimili is the one that I'm looking forward to the most. I've got a very nice custom Gimili but definitely expecting Asmus's version to be a big improvement.

Back