Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've slowly come to decide how I want my middle Earth detolf to one day be. I need Frodo to get back into circulation though.

Cube 1 would be Gandalf, Frodo, and probably Arwen because that's the only place for her to fit in.

Cube 2 would be Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli kitted out for Helm's Deep.

Cube 3 is a mystery. I'd like to not duplicate any characters, but I feel hard pressed to not as I think of what embodies ROTK.

Fourth cube will not be the cluster**** that is the Hobbit, but rather be a nod to what the trilogy could have been. And a nice way to display Thorin and Bilbo since they're so great.
I have Fellowship Represented with Frodo.
Two Towers with Gollum
Return of the King with Aragorn.

I think Gandalf/Frodo is great for Fellowship
Legolas and Gimli for Two Towers
Aragorn for Return of the King...maybe Sam? 20210312_182844.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If Asmus revisits the entire crew, I think I would be hard pressed to not grab each release with the improvements they've offered. I still regret not getting a Strider at some point, bit the Helm's Deep Aragorn is a good consolidation prize.

That being said, aside from Boromir (barring they do an Osgilioth armor variant), you potentially could get the whole fellowship as depicted across all three films.

Two releases I'd really like to see are Merry and Pippin in their respective Rohan and Gondor armors.

That's the slippery slope with LOTR. Similar to Star Wars, the major characters do go through several different outfits that may be considered "must-gets".

And a "For Gondor!" armored Boromir would be an instant pre-order!

Two Towers with Gollum

Aragorn for Return of the King...maybe Sam? View attachment 508650

Beautiful displays, Rzeznik! Less is certainly more, there.

I think if doubling up on RotJ, I would have Theoden accompany Aragorn. Gondor and Rohan united...

Two Towers with Gollum

Aragorn for Return of the King...maybe Sam? View attachment 508650

Beautiful display. What did you make the dios/bases out of? Also that?s a neat little Oscar in TROK display.

That's the slippery slope with LOTR. Similar to Star Wars, the major characters do go through several different outfits that may be considered "must-gets".

And a "For Gondor!" armored Boromir would be an instant pre-order!

Beautiful displays, Rzeznik! Less is certainly more, there.

I think if doubling up on RotJ, I would have Theoden accompany Aragorn. Gondor and Rohan united...
Beautiful display. What did you make the dios/bases out of? Also that?s a neat little Oscar in TROK display.
Thanks [emoji4]

The base Frodo is using is the Coomodels Werewolf base.

Gollums is carving foam cut and painted to resemble rock.

The Oscar was actually 3D Printed and painted. I had my buddy 3d print a bunch so I could place them with Oscar winning films or roles.

I still have the email from Asmus, dated 7th August 2018, where they replied indicating they were still working out the details of the free replacement Frodo sculpts for collectors who had ordered the expansion set. That's almost three bloody years ago now!

I think they totally screwed up the paint job on the expansion set, and should’ve sent out replacements ages ago. Definitely a very disappointing broken promise.

I still have the email from Asmus, dated 7th August 2018, where they replied indicating they were still working out the details of the free replacement Frodo sculpts for collectors who had ordered the expansion set. That's almost three bloody years ago now!

I think they totally screwed up the paint job on the expansion set, and should’ve sent out replacements ages ago. Definitely a very disappointing broken promise.

I know their sculpts are not always spot on but if I could find a fault with Asmus it is sometimes they promise something and then don't come through on it. I would rather be told sorry, it is what it is, and deal with it than sorry, we know this isn't right and we are going to fix it free of charge, and then not follow through.

I think they totally screwed up the paint job on the expansion set, and should?ve sent out replacements ages ago. Definitely a very disappointing broken promise.

Yeah, green eyes and Frodo's hair poorly painted look disappointing. Considering they were promoting it with a different paint application, it was a very weird move. And having 2 wrong Frodo heads now is not fun.
I am still hoping to get updated Gandalf head, but until now all exchanges went not smoothly with all these updates. :(

Personally, I'd be happy to pay shipping and send them my green-eyed Frodo head and have them replace or repaint it. I don't mind chipping in. Hell, I'd even pay for a completely new head if that was the only way to get it done.

I think they should honor the promise they made.

All anyone has to do is look at the difference in paint apps on the green-eyed, pale, poorly painted one versus the blue-eyed, warm-skin-toned, darker haired head they have always promoted on their website for sales. The two couldn't look more different.

If you have this green-eyed head in hand, it should be replaced with the head that was advertised. No question. And yes, the fact it has taken so long is shameful when they have already added the proper head to new sales Frodos years ago.

The few of us early buyers for the expansion/slim just got boned when Asmus tried to get a cheaper paint job.

Personally, I'd be happy to pay shipping and send them my green-eyed Frodo head and have them replace or repaint it. I don't mind chipping in. Hell, I'd even pay for a completely new head if that was the only way to get it done.

Why not look for a customizer and have it repainted by someone who can really touch it up?

I'm looking at buying a Brienne of Tarth and doing that. The sculpt looks good, the paint job holds the figure back. I've been asking around but can't seem to figure out how to find a good painter. If I find one and you're interested I can let you know. But it's probably worth going that route.

I guess it all comes down to how bad I want it. I would like my Frodo repainted, but my desire for that repaint tops out at around $50 bucks. You're not gonna find a customizer (at least not a high end one) to do it for that price. I've had really great customizers paint sculpts for me in the past and those have run well over a hundred bucks each (I've had some done for over $200). And they can take forever to turn around.

So if Asmus is going to do it, even for a moderate fee, I'm in. But I don't want it bad enough to go the long and expensive custom route.

Yet.

Last edited:
Back