Asmus - 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigh. Do I take my chances on a replacement? Is Asmus even offering full refunds for those who don't believe the replacements will be any better?

Sigh. Do I take my chances on a replacement? Is Asmus even offering full refunds for those who don't believe the replacements will be any better?
No...
You can return it but they will only refund the cost of the figure, not the original shipping costs, and they are refusing to pay for the return shipping as well, the implication being that even though the product is defective, they are providing a replacement, and it would be your "choice" to refuse the replacement and return the original item.
Which raises the question, if the replacements have problems too, will they offer FULL refunds then?
The answer is obviously no...
I've checked with Paypal, I think we are covered, but we will need to open a dispute, I need to clarify.

Or maybe Asmus can clarify for us all on here???

No...
You can return it but they will only refund the cost of the figure, not the original shipping costs, and they are refusing to pay for the return shipping as well, the implication being that even though the product is defective, they are providing a replacement, and it would be your "choice" to refuse the replacement and return the original item.
Which raises the question, if the replacements have problems too, will they offer FULL refunds then?
The answer is obviously no...
I've checked with Paypal, I think we are covered, but we will need to open a dispute, I need to clarify.

Or maybe Asmus can clarify for us all on here???
Oh so you have to return the defect body with the discoloration at your own expense, and the "free of charge replacement body" does not include shipping?
If it is true, that's quite a lot of money spent for a customer already suffering from a defect figure. :(

Oh so you have to return the defect body with the discoloration at your own expense, and the "free of charge replacement body" does not include shipping?
If it is true, that's quite a lot of money spent for a customer already suffering from a defect figure. :(
I think he means that you return the defect body on your own cost to Asmus, they ship a new body to you but that is covered by them.
If you want a refund and dont want a new body then only the price of the figure is reimbursed.

I think he means that you return the defect body on your own cost to Asmus, they ship a new body to you but that is covered by them.
If you want a refund and dont want a new body then only the price of the figure is reimbursed.
oh.. but he said "they are refusing to pay for the return shipping as well"?

oh.. but he said "they are refusing to pay for the return shipping as well"?

No, no, no...

The replacement will be sent to us for free, we don't have to return the discoloured bodies.

If you DON'T want the replacement and just want to return your original purchase, YOU will have to pay for the return shipping back to Asmus, for instance, UK to Taiwan will cost ME $95 which they will not refund, even though they sent me a defective product.

Once received, Asmus will refund you the original cost of the figure, but will NOT refund the original shipping you paid them, and they will NOT refund whatever you had to spend to send your original defective purchase back to them either.

EDIT: This also means, if the replacements start to discolour and you want to return everything, they will still insist that YOU pay to return everything, and they will still only refund you the original cost of the figure, they will not refund ANY shipping costs no matter what.

Obviously, this all only applies if you bought direct from Asmus, if you bought from a retailer or reseller, they should cover the return at no cost to you.
It's only Asmus that refuses to refund ANY shipping, EVER, that is their official policy.

You see?

Last edited:
No, no, no...

The replacement will be sent to us for free, we don't have to return the discoloured bodies.

If you DON'T want the replacement and just want to return your original purchase, YOU will have to pay for the return shipping back to Asmus, for instance, UK to Taiwan will cost ME $95 which they will not refund, even though they sent me a defective product.

Once received, Asmus will refund you the original cost of the figure, but will NOT refund the original shipping you paid them, and they will NOT refund whatever you had to spend to send your original defective purchase back to them either.

EDIT: This also means, if the replacements start to discolour and you want to return everything, they will still insist that YOU pay to return everything, and they will still only refund you the original cost of the figure, they will not refund ANY shipping costs no matter what.

Obviously, this all only applies if you bought direct from Asmus, if you bought from a retailer or reseller, they should cover the return at no cost to you.
It's only Asmus that refuses to refund ANY shipping, EVER, that is their official policy.

You see?
I see.
So basically it's good for those who want the replacement body, but not good for those who want a full refund, unless bought from retailer/reseller not directly from asmus.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Asmus also said that replacement Gandalf hats would be included with all future purchases. That did not happen.

So… grain of salt with this promise for eternal replacement parts.
yes, I remember this as well.
This is part of the "shady act and broken promises" that I said about the company.
With this replacement gesture, I hope they start to do the right thing and fix the issue for their customers. (y)

It seems worth the free replacement to at least see if the new one doesn't turn gray. It is no cost to you to get what you originally paid for.

If the replacement fails for many people, I think that opens a whole other can of worms for Asmus, and they will have to rethink their return shipping policy on this one.

IDEA: if Asmus is planning to make new bodies for those all new heads, maybe just make a new v2 Gollum/Smeagol set and give people with defective figures who want a refund a discount on the new set in proportion with their return shipping. In other words, if your return shipping is $50, then Asmus could discount the new set $50 for those who return their old defective figures.

Just a thought...

Or maybe Asmus could simply pay back the money if you dont want a replacement body or send the replacement for those who want a new body if a given proof of a discolored body of Gollum is shown. In both of these cases there is no need to send it back to them using your own money for postage costs.

Because whats the point if sending it back in any case anyway?

Man..I tell you what…Asmus does not deserve fans like you guys. I seriously feel bad for all that got screwed with this figure…and Ash...and Boromir...and Arwen…and Frodo…Im sorry if this is out of line but..I get the desire to collect a franchise or buy a figure of a favorite character even if it’s not from a big name like HT or whatever but when is it enough after so many disappointments? How much money do you have to throw at company with a mediocre/bad rep to finally realize that doing that doesn’t make them better? I’ve read up on just about every Asmus production thread, because I want to be educated about this hobby, and most are riddled with disappointment. Have they learned? No! Why? because their products continue to be bought. Asking them to do better isn’t going to make it happen. Refusing to buy their stuff will, even if their proto images look good. which they always do. I know they’ve had a few good releases but ask yourself if they were the norm or the exception.

Look. I‘m all about giving people slack or giving them the benefit of the doubt. The foot needs to be put down at some point tho. Sometimes what someone needs is to hit rock bottom and learn a hard lesson.

Again…I’m sorry if I’m stepping on toes, you all seem like great and fun people. By no means am I blaming the consumers either. I’m just saying you do have a choice.

Man..I tell you what…Asmus does not deserve fans like you guys. I seriously feel bad for all that got screwed with this figure…and Ash...and Boromir...and Arwen…and Frodo…Im sorry if this is out of line but..I get the desire to collect a franchise or buy a figure of a favorite character even if it’s not from a big name like HT or whatever but when is it enough after so many disappointments? How much money do you have to throw at company with a mediocre/bad rep to finally realize that doing that doesn’t make them better? I’ve read up on just about every Asmus production thread, because I want to be educated about this hobby, and most are riddled with disappointment. Have they learned? No! Why? because their products continue to be bought. Asking them to do better isn’t going to make it happen. Refusing to buy their stuff will, even if their proto images look good. which they always do. I know they’ve had a few good releases but ask yourself if they were the norm or the exception.

Look. I‘m all about giving people slack or giving them the benefit of the doubt. The foot needs to be put down at some point tho. Sometimes what someone needs is to hit rock bottom and learn a hard lesson.

Again…I’m sorry if I’m stepping on toes, you all seem like great and fun people. By no means am I blaming the consumers either. I’m just saying you do have a choice.

👆 This...

This is the whole point, Asmus is following this thread, and if I were them, I would think it's 50/50 in the community of those who'll put up with their crap, and those who won't... That means they'll just keep going as they are.

I don't want to tread on anyone's toes either, but we need to stop apologizing for them or giving gentle encouragement to "do better"...
I work and save too hard to keep this hobby going and they are not living up to their side of the agreement.

It's time for a boycott.

Or maybe Asmus could simply pay back the money if you dont want a replacement body or send the replacement for those who want a new body if a given proof of a discolored body of Gollum is shown. In both of these cases there is no need to send it back to them using your own money for postage costs.

Because whats the point if sending it back in any case anyway?

Great for customizers -- get to keep the body they can repaint, AND get a full refund. Free Gollum and Smeagol!

This would work only if they do what Sideshow does -- require photo proof of completely destroyed body of both Gollum and Smeagol.

Great for customizers -- get to keep the body they can repaint, AND get a full refund. Free Gollum and Smeagol!

This would work only if they do what Sideshow does -- require photo proof of completely destroyed body of both Gollum and Smeagol.

Wor, you are a King here, and I say this with full respect, but who's side are you on, man?
How many years did you wait for your Frodo head???
Stop giving them ideas!!! :dunno

This is not about making mistakes, that will happen, even though it happens way too often with Asmus.
It's about how they react when they make those mistakes.

EDIT: "How many years did you wait for your Frodo head???" - I have to acknowledge how funny this sounds!!! :monkey3

Last edited:
It's time for a boycott.
Nah.
Am sorry if folks are disappointed, and if they had messed up Thorin, Thranduil - well Faramir got messed up a bit, with the whole vambrace thing...but heck, I wasn't even in the market for Galadriel or Elrond but they were so good I bought them anyway.

So yeah, its a f-up with an iconic character, it's *&^% Gollum, but ASMUS is gonna either make it right - IMO that kind of color turn so fast isn't acceptable, even with the brutal heat shipping and in the U.S., packaged products need to be able to take it and worse, because they may sitting boxed in extreme conditions for weeks, months - or folks will end up waiting for reviews or wary like I feel about WETA.

But I don't think ASMUS wanted this to happen, they sounded excited enough about the release, getting a nice base together and multiple poses etc. They'll take a hit anyway because folks on the fence will back off. Or cancel. If I were ASMUS I'd be sending out replacement bodies, free of charge, after getting better brand of vinyl/plastic.

Wor, you are a King here, and I say this with full respect, but who's side are you on, man?
How many years did you wait for your Frodo head???
Stop giving them ideas!!! :dunno

Thanks for the compliment... my suggestion was simply what I thought would be fair.

I don't like when people take advantage in life, on either side. I can't control the other side; but I don't want to become like them.

Thanks for the compliment... my suggestion was simply what I thought would be fair.

I don't like when people take advantage in life, on either side. I can't control the other side; but I don't want to become like them.

I know, brother, and you couldn't find a more straight up guy on here than you.
But if you had bought this figure, which I know you haven't, would you be so charitable?

I'm honestly not taking advantage of the situation but this is definitely NOT fair.
I'm genuinely really upset, I can't return it, it will cost me $100 which they won't give back.

Last edited:
I know, brother, and you couldn't find a more straight up guy on here than you.
But if you had bought this figure, which I know you haven't, would you be so charitable?

I'm honestly not taking advantage of the situation but this is definitely NOT fair.
I'm genuinely really upset, I can't return it, it will cost me $100 which they won't give back.

I totally understand. It's a sucky situation to say the least, and I'm not envious of those in it. I feel like I went through this already with Frodo.

Back