Asmus - 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all,

what we have learnt that about this issue is that is happening in some extreme environment,
May be the exreme heat, but it is for certain that is occured to very little portion of the production.
We have only 3 cases in hand, and we have checked all the remainly stock, the defected proportion is about 1 in 300.

However, please don't worry if it happens to you, all you need is to let me know (via forum) or email to [email protected],
we can send you replacements free of charge.

I am sure many people in this forum or not would know we have been taking care of the customers from day one.
So, Mr Asmus,

Are you implying that I do need to gamble, paying to my retailer everything in front, just to check if you did your job right?? No way. I will ask full refund of the NRD from my retailer, then you will deal with them.
Most of my collection is made of your LOTR products. I even started back in the days with the Morgul Lord. And now this?? Shame on you...

Both of mine are turning blue as well...
View attachment 653469View attachment 653470
i only opened Smeagol, and put it right back in the box- hadn't even bothered to open up Gollum- both still in their boxes- held in a pitch black, temp controlled room- 72f, 47% humidity.
I have purchased every single LOTR fig Asmus has produced but i too am now tired of all the bull$hit!
I have had many, many problems with Asmus over the years- figures sent to wrong address, missing parts, bad quality control etc.
Asmus had been making good, but its almost like a part time job getting stuff sorted- and so frequently!
The latest Eowyn deluxe arrived with missing sofa legs- Asmus sorted...
But after much back and forth, with photos provided over my pale, unacceptable Frodo head, and a promise of a replacement,
it never materialized...still waiting...
Now this- Asmus, please explain why i should continue to support such unprofessionalism?!

OK, so for those who are going to keep their two-tone figure, I actually think the "blue" faded skin looks better -- more like Gollum -- so for those customizers out there, maybe you could paint the suntanned parts to match the "blue" skin?

This is not meant as a "fix" for the problem... just an option for those who are keeping their figure and plan to fix it their own way.

OK, so for those who are going to keep their two-tone figure, I actually think the "blue" faded skin looks better -- more like Gollum -- so for those customizers out there, maybe you could paint the suntanned parts to match the "blue" skin?

This is not meant as a "fix" for the problem... just an option for those who are keeping their figure and plan to fix it their own way.

Seriously?

Doesn't it depend which Blu-Ray you're watching, the old "green" 1080p or the 4K restoration?

:monkey3

Both of mine are turning blue as well...
View attachment 653469View attachment 653470
i only opened Smeagol, and put it right back in the box- hadn't even bothered to open up Gollum- both still in their boxes- held in a pitch black, temp controlled room- 72f, 47% humidity.
I have purchased every single LOTR fig Asmus has produced but i too am now tired of all the bull$hit!
I have had many, many problems with Asmus over the years- figures sent to wrong address, missing parts, bad quality control etc.
Asmus had been making good, but its almost like a part time job getting stuff sorted- and so frequently!
The latest Eowyn deluxe arrived with missing sofa legs- Asmus sorted...
But after much back and forth, with photos provided over my pale, unacceptable Frodo head, and a promise of a replacement,
it never materialized...still waiting...
Now this- Asmus, please explain why i should continue to support such unprofessionalism?!
Sorry to see this, Scumonkey. :(

So this makes 7 members here affected with the discoloration issue.
If what asmus said is true: "the defected proportion is about 1 in 300", then this is really bad.

That numbers came from asmus checking the remaining stock in their warehouse. If we use asmus theory of the extreme heat, meaning those warehouse stock has not travel around the world for shipping, so it has not exposed to any extreme heat at all. That's why most of them are ok, and the proportion is about 1: 300.

The rest of the figures that has traveled around the world and exposed to heat, though.. that changes the proportion. Hence we have 7 cases here.
I hope there will not be more, but we'll see.

That new replacement body.. better make sure it's packed on ice.

Interesting question. Mine aren't fading at all, but I agree ... I kind of prefer him a little grayer. The original paint scheme makes him seem a smidge too healthy for my taste.

Got a PM from Asmus about the replacement bodies:

"I have talked to the guys at the manufacturing,
and we are very confident the replacement will not happen, 100%.
We have switched to a more durable paint and it should solve the problem once and for all.
The new paint was tested in extrem condition, and it looked promising."

EDIT: In case it's not clear, he is saying the discolouration will not happen with the replacements, "100%"

Last edited:
From one of the EXO6 threads:

"Gollum rubber"... That will be a point of reference in the community and tied to Asmus forever... It's a real shame.
That’s kind of funny. Andy Serkis said his throat would get hoarse doing the Gollum voice. Said he would drink “Gollum juice” to make it feel better. Now we have Gollum rubber to go along with Gollum juice.

We have switched to a more durable paint and it should solve the problem once and for all.

EDIT: In case it's not clear, he is saying the discolouration will not happen with the replacements, "100%"
Well,
It's good that they can assure the customers with 100% guarantee. (y)
Fingers crossed!

From one of the EXO6 threads:

"Gollum rubber"... That will be a point of reference in the community and tied to Asmus forever... It's a real shame.
That and the ash (fi-ash-co/dis-ash-ter) will surely be remembered in the community.
Hopefully asmus will finally learn from their mistakes. 🙏

Interesting question. Mine aren't fading at all, but I agree ... I kind of prefer him a little grayer. The original paint scheme makes him seem a smidge too healthy for my taste.
I'll swap you mine for yours...:sneaky:

Lets hope this to be true :pray:

I think Asmus should find out why it happened, even involving third parties to analyze the product if needed. Not only for us, but to avoid the same happening on later products if using the same materials/coating. (And without knowing it for sure, how can they guarantee that it won't happen with the 'replacements'.)

And providing replacements is a good thing - until the stock lasts. What happens if the same happens with ours in the next 6-12-18 months, will there be stock available? Somewhat doubt that if not then I will just send my figs to Asmus for a repaint... Not to mention we don't know the full scale of the problem. I assume a considerable part of the buyers just opened it for inspection and put it back in the box so they are not aware of any potential problems...

All in all, I'm not really relaxed, even though mine looks ok right now. But I don't want to inspect it monthly :D It is very disturbing that the degradation happened so fast - it could happen quickly anytime in the future.

Btw not sure anyone had it the same way, but my figures' legs and arms were not in plastic bags (those that were attached to the figure), also the rings were not taped to the plastic (luckily I watched out before losing them). I bought from a reputable reseller though, so I hope I did not get a sent back item...

All I can promise is that we will be responsible to this problem timeless.
If anyone happens to find out their copy of Gollum has the color issue,
we are always here to help
As one of the members who give strong criticism for your past behavior, I take this as one step forward to be a good company. (y)

I hope the replacement body is 100% problem free as guaranteed, and the replacement process went smoothly. 🙏

Would you know if Gollum/Smeagol sets have been sent to Australian retailers?
e.g Popcultcha?

As one of the members who give strong criticism for your past behavior, I take this as one step forward to be a good company. (y)

I hope the replacement body is 100% problem free as guaranteed, and the replacement process went smoothly. 🙏
The new person running the account genuinely seems to care, which is appreciated. Would have been very easy to put his head in the sand and ignore this thread.

The new person running the account genuinely seems to care, which is appreciated. Would have been very easy to put his head in the sand and ignore this thread.
I agree.
Well I think it's good that they learned from the fi-ash-co back then, where the rep just ignored the thread, and asmus ended up taking a huge hit.

Thanks Asmus, that’s really good to know. :)

Back