Asmus - 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any rumors of InArt taking a shot at Gollum? Know that Legolas is in the queue? Maybe too many other potential Felloship figures that it would be a while.

I know Boromir will be my first Asmus LOTR skip but already feel burned by the Eddie and Kevin Elven Warriors and Helms Deep Legolas and Aragorn. Final release for GtG was lesser disappointment as well but redeemable if GtW HS replacement is offered. Still, gotta wonder what it will take for them to finally step up to next level or whether they are capable of it.

Any rumors of InArt taking a shot at Gollum? Know that Legolas is in the queue? Maybe too many other potential Felloship figures that it would be a while.

I know Boromir will be my first Asmus LOTR skip but already feel burned by the Eddie and Kevin Elven Warriors and Helms Deep Legolas and Aragorn. Final release for GtG was lesser disappointment as well but redeemable if GtW HS replacement is offered. Still, gotta wonder what it will take for them to finally step up to next level or whether they are capable of it.
InArt don’t have plans to make all of the characters currently, they’re only trying to make big hitters (and Nazgul for some reason; I guess cause people will multi-dip) to establish themselves first.

They seem to have a lot of different licenses. Many of which are traditionally much more popular among collectors. We'll see where they go from here (and where the sales numbers take them), but I wouldn't bet on them going too deeply into LOTR (which has dozens and dozens and dozens of potential figures). Asmus can get along doing that because they have relatively few licenses to focus on, so LOTR has been their bread and butter. But InArt seems to be much more diversified.

Last edited:
When they get Star Wars -- and they will -- I fear for everyone here...
That will interesting for Disney to manage if it comes to fruition since Marvel/Star Wars is Hot Toys’ bread and butter.

Yeah kinda looks like he's been turned into a cartoon character, and body doesn't seem nearly thin and bony enough.

I only ordered the Gollum version but even at $130 I'm not sure if he really looks worth getting...

That will interesting for Disney to manage if it comes to fruition since Marvel/Star Wars is Hot Toys’ bread and butter.

Not complicated, just another "toy variant" on the market, just this one is high-end, like statues. There's any number of companies making Star Wars statues, so why not 1/6th as long as they are not in direct competition... and most agree that InArt is a more high-end version of 1/6th figures than Hot Toys is.

If that were to happen, the irony might be that Hot Toys actually backs off a bit and make a cheaper, even more mass-market product.

Or hopefully they step up their game and compete. I think that might be happening to some degree with Asmus. Their stellar GtW might have been partially a reaction to InArt's GtG. (Since Gollum was a much more complex figure to produce - engineering and casting a whole new body - he was probably already well into the production pipeline before InArt showed up on the scene.)

I'm not too keen on the expressions they have chosen, but I knew this when I ordered. I'll see if I can get a pose/expression that I like with moving the eyes around. Hopefully.

But as it stands now I still think NECAS sculpts have been the best. Especially Gollums.

NECA is still the best, I agree. Even despite the scale. Crouched, NECA Gollum and Smeagol can look fine in the collection depending on who you pose him next to. I have Gollum crouched below my Nazgul on steed, so he appears in scale.

Not complicated, just another "toy variant" on the market, just this one is high-end, like statues. There's any number of companies making Star Wars statues, so why not 1/6th as long as they are not in direct competition... and most agree that InArt is a more high-end version of 1/6th figures than Hot Toys is.

If that were to happen, the irony might be that Hot Toys actually backs off a bit and make a cheaper, even more mass-market
Not sure I agree that they are different tiers yet. InArt is offering sculpted hair figures very much in Hot Toys market price wise. The statues market is even more niche, as 1/6 figures are to 1/12 figures. Whether InArt pushes Hot Toys down market to avoid competition is a possibility. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Inart Aragorn will sell easily if the production looks as good as the proto, they will sell maybe even more than Gandalf did which was about 5000 pieces if I remember correctly.

Legolas is very popular so that will sell as well, even if there have been many iterations of it, a fully rooted Legolas will be a must have for the elf fans.

Now I am not sure about Gimli and Boromir. Asmus Gimli is really a great piece, Inart could make a better chainmail but apart from that its hard to see how they could upgrade it to sell it for 500 USD.
Boromir imo not that popular but could sell a few thousand pieces as well.

I’ve seen it mentioned several times that people want LOTR figures but just can’t get onboard with Asmus’ attempts so the market may be larger than we think.

LOTR is my favourite movie series and I wasn’t drawn in by the earlier figures until I saw Gimli and then I just thought ah screw it, this is the best there is and I can supplement with statues.

Asmus took awhile to hit their stride and are still more hit and miss than consistent which can be off putting. Gimli is arguably where they peaked. The lack of a really good Aragorn, Frodo or Sam could also keep people away from investing in the line. You’ve got to nail the most significant characters. A top notch Theoden or Elrond is great for us but probably not enough to draw new buyers in.

InArt are starting strong with two very integral and popular characters. Basically, if they can do a Viggo sculpt, they can do anything.

NECA is still the best, I agree. Even despite the scale. Crouched, NECA Gollum and Smeagol can look fine in the collection depending on who you pose him next to. I have Gollum crouched below my Nazgul on steed, so he appears in scale.
Yeah, and even more so when displayed by himself. Scale isn't a huge issue. Only time it doesn't work is pairing him with the Hobbits.

I might just keep my NECA on display where I have him now and use the Asmus pair for my Frodo and Sam. I might just end up selling one if the versions too. 🤔
20230104_224035.jpg

I’ve seen it mentioned several times that people want LOTR figures but just can’t get onboard with Asmus’ attempts so the market may be larger than we think.

LOTR is my favourite movie series and I wasn’t drawn in by the earlier figures until I saw Gimli and then I just thought ah screw it, this is the best there is and I can supplement with statues.

Asmus took awhile to hit their stride and are still more hit and miss than consistent which can be off putting. Gimli is arguably where they peaked. The lack of a really good Aragorn, Frodo or Sam could also keep people away from investing in the line. You’ve got to nail the most significant characters. A top notch Theoden or Elrond is great for us but probably not enough to draw new buyers in.

InArt are starting strong with two very integral and popular characters. Basically, if they can do a Viggo sculpt, they can do anything.
Good points. But with these figures costing $350-500 I can't see many collectors wanting to go deep with InArt either.

What improvements can they make thats worth 300 USD more than what Asmus made is the thing what I cant answer with certainty.
Can they make a better Gimli? Possibly.
Will it worth 300 USD more? I honestly doubt that the quality increase will worth 300 more.
Its pretty far away anyway seeing that they need 9-12 months after preorders to release the figures. Nothing before 2024 most likely.

Back