Asmus - 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What improvements can they make thats worth 300 USD more than what Asmus made is the thing what I cant answer with certainty.
Can they make a better Gimli? Possibly.
Will it worth 300 USD more? I honestly doubt that the quality increase will worth 300 more.
Its pretty far away anyway seeing that they need 9-12 months after preorders to release the figures. Nothing before 2024 most likely.

1. Better screen accurate likeness and paint (See their Aragorn)
2. Custom level hairing and beard.
3. Real chain mail
4. Real leather outfit

All that there is already over the $300 in upgrades.

What improvements can they make thats worth 300 USD more than what Asmus made is the thing what I cant answer with certainty.
Can they make a better Gimli? Possibly.
Will it worth 300 USD more? I honestly doubt that the quality increase will worth 300 more.
Its pretty far away anyway seeing that they need 9-12 months after preorders to release the figures. Nothing before 2024 most likely.
Gimli really is the outlier though. He was a Crown figure before the Crown line was a thing.
Today we’d be spending $300-$350 for that same figure.

I’d love a rooted 4 pack of hobbits. There’s practically limitless room for improvement there.

1. Better screen accurate likeness and paint (See their Aragorn)
2. Custom level hairing and beard.
3. Real chain mail
4. Real leather outfit

All that there is already over the $300 in upgrades.
True. 3 (the uniqueness of the dwarven chainmail pattrrn makes even more less likely) and 4 cant see happen and it would be more than 500 usd if it did i think.
The likeness was great not perfect, paint could have been better. Hairing and beard can happen too.

This debate about "how can X improve upon Y" has been going on since Sideshow first got Star Wars in 2006. People would actually say "How can Sideshow improve upon" various Hasbro dolls.

Then people said "How can Hot Toys" improve upon various Sideshow Star Wars figures.

Somehow, improvement continues in the hobby.

I would imagine, if InArt felt they really couldn't improve a figure, they just wouldn't bother making it. Improvement is only comprehendable to some once it is demonstrated.

Of course Gimli can be improved. Greatly. Whether its worth someone's money is a completely different concern, and totally subjective.

Gollum in the movie always looked too cartoonish to me anyway... so the fact that his doll looks a bit more cartoonish? Not surprising I guess.

Still, I will confess I'm relieved I cancelled my order when I had the chance to do so without penalty (it was so crazy late). Maybe it will go on sale at some point or they'll split the set up and I'll get him.

I think Inart and Asmus are different price gamers.
I am glad I can buy a rooted sculpt for 120 usd. And most figures for 200. Gollum for 135 can never happen with Inart. It will be at least 270. And they definitely are not going to cover many characters.
So, Inart is good for definite main characters, and willingness to pay 400+
Can Asmus do a better job in design and painting? Yes, but if we want the same quality the price would be higher.
They are still better than Sideshow, who're doing almost double-price expensive figures and having a poorer level of paint and clothing. Not to mention a mediocre company Star Ace and their price/quality ratio.

Last edited:
I like what Asmus is offering for most releases and glad for that price point and all the side chars they are doing! Hope they do well.
Gollum is a center piece for any LotR collection and I can't see getting another one soon. It looks okay to me would totally buy.

As impressive as the InArt releases are looking, personally they are out of reach for me. As mentioned earlier, they most likely won’t go as deep as Asmus either. The Asmus releases I have picked up have been very satisfying at their price point and I’m looking forward to eventual releases like Saruman.
Another factor for me is if I had an exceedingly high quality Aragorn mixed with the Asmus stuff it would stand out too much and take the shine off the rest of the collection. I had a similar issue when I had the early Sideshow Luke and Leia amongst my Hot Toys figures. Those SS figs looked ok on their own at the time, but when directly compared to the HT ones on the same shelf….oof 😕

This debate about "how can X improve upon Y" has been going on since Sideshow first got Star Wars in 2006. People would actually say "How can Sideshow improve upon" various Hasbro dolls.

Then people said "How can Hot Toys" improve upon various Sideshow Star Wars figures.

Somehow, improvement continues in the hobby.

I would imagine, if InArt felt they really couldn't improve a figure, they just wouldn't bother making it. Improvement is only comprehendable to some once it is demonstrated.

Of course Gimli can be improved. Greatly. Whether its worth someone's money is a completely different concern, and totally subjective.
"Of course Gimli can be improved. Greatly. Whether its worth someone's money is a completely different concern, and totally subjective."
This is exactly what I was trying to say. Perfect sentence.
If they do all the things mentioned by Rzeznikk then I am all in for 500 USD, if they do parts of it then it will be hard to decide.
(Especially the chain mail is a crucial point for me.)
Aragorn looks really really good, lets hope that the actual production piece will look like it too.

As impressive as the InArt releases are looking, personally they are out of reach for me. As mentioned earlier, they most likely won’t go as deep as Asmus either. The Asmus releases I have picked up have been very satisfying at their price point and I’m looking forward to eventual releases like Saruman.
Another factor for me is if I had an exceedingly high quality Aragorn mixed with the Asmus stuff it would stand out too much and take the shine off the rest of the collection. I had a similar issue when I had the early Sideshow Luke and Leia amongst my Hot Toys figures. Those SS figs looked ok on their own at the time, but when directly compared to the HT ones on the same shelf….oof 😕
I never really thought about the “outshine” aspect you’re talking about. Things that make you go hmmmm…

I’ve seen it mentioned several times that people want LOTR figures but just can’t get onboard with Asmus’ attempts so the market may be larger than we think.

LOTR is my favourite movie series and I wasn’t drawn in by the earlier figures until I saw Gimli and then I just thought ah screw it, this is the best there is and I can supplement with statues.

Asmus took awhile to hit their stride and are still more hit and miss than consistent which can be off putting. Gimli is arguably where they peaked. The lack of a really good Aragorn, Frodo or Sam could also keep people away from investing in the line. You’ve got to nail the most significant characters. A top notch Theoden or Elrond is great for us but probably not enough to draw new buyers in.

InArt are starting strong with two very integral and popular characters. Basically, if they can do a Viggo sculpt, they can do anything.
Honestly Gimli is the best figure they’ve done, amazing figure.

Why all the Dwarf talk in this thread?
Every time I see a new post I think maybe there’s updated shipping info on Gollum/Smeagol. 🙄

For me, the dwarfs and the Grishnákh are Asmus bests.
After InArt Aragorn appearance, I also thought about the "outshine" factor. This beeing said, Asmus cannot compete with Inart under present circumstances, but they can however complete each other, Asmus producing what InArt won´t, such as orks and kitbashes (secondary clothes, weapons, etc.) for main characters.

I wish Asmus would focus on more Uruk-hai and goblins and orks.

If I were Asmus, I'm not sure I'd continue the Crown line knowing InArt is hitting the main characters... unless they plot more strategically what InArt will not do... like Boromor and the Hobbits and of course some villains.

Orks and Uruk-hai will be Asmus' troopers if they can get going with them.

I wish Asmus would focus on more Uruk-hai and goblins and orks.

If I were Asmus, I'm not sure I'd continue the Crown line knowing InArt is hitting the main characters... unless they plot more strategically what InArt will not do... like Boromor and the Hobbits and of course some villains.

Orks and Uruk-hai will be Asmus' troopers if they can get going with them.
Boromor, as Jokor, is reserved for Inart... :)

Back