Asmus - 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is normal, unfortunately. It is the where the mold is splitted in half (parting line)
for some parts we can fixed it or made almost seemless, but for this join embedded part (legs and arms)
it is the best we can do so far
Just to make sure, I meant the circled one, which is actually the left leg, but right on the photo :)
I'm asking because so far I only saw seams where I could tell that it was put together there, but they weren't shiny at all.
Or in this case was the shininess added to cover the seam?

Btw, I'm looking forward to get the new sculpts, must buy for me!

Attachments

• gollum.jpg
    gollum.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
According to TNS Asmus has canceled orders for Gollum Deluxe. Instead of the base with the rock and the fish, they offer us a wonderful baseball cap. There is no possible way to defend asmus anymore... After a year and a half since the preorder... It's time to print my own Gollum and cancel orders.

Wait- so was this a joke or not? It is, right? I mean the deluxe set is still available for preorder at Asmus (and BBTS) : Gollum/Sméagol no mention of running out of the base on Asmus site- wouldn't they stop taking pre-orders on their site before cancelling already made orders?

I really really really hope Asmus can figure out a way to release the NEW heads with a set. It would be a nice gesture if they sent a voucher for one of the new heads to the people who had ordered the deluxe set (and not cancelled).

AI fake?

So what's the deal with the new heads? Are these intended for buyers as an additional "expansion pack" of heads? Or is there a CROWN Gollum set in the works?

Asmus said (in their Asmus Toys thread) that "these will be available in Upgrade Packs."
Which means
a) some limited quantity (likely so small that I will never even hear about them before they are gone) and
b) to get them, you will have to have one of the original Gollum or Smeagol figures to use them.

So now I am in a quandary because I would buy the set I could be sure that I could easily purchase the replacement heads. What I don't want to do is buy the original sets and then NOT get the replacement heads... but may not know how easy it is to get the heads until the figures sell out.... sigh.

Last edited:
Wait- so was this a joke or not? It is, right? I mean the deluxe set is still available for preorder at Asmus (and BBTS) : Gollum/Sméagol no mention of running out of the base on Asmus site- wouldn't they stop taking pre-orders on their site before cancelling already made orders?

I really really really hope Asmus can figure out a way to release the NEW heads with a set. It would be a nice gesture if they sent a voucher for one of the new heads to the people who had ordered the deluxe set (and not cancelled).

Asmus said (in their Asmus Toys thread) that "these will be available in Upgrade Packs."
Which means
a) some limited quantity (likely so small that I will never even hear about them before they are gone) and
b) to get them, you will have to have one of the original Gollum or Smeagol figures to use them.

So now I am in a quandary because I would buy the set I could be sure that I could easily purchase the replacement heads. What I don't want to do is buy the original sets and then NOT get the replacement heads... but may not know how easy it is to get the heads until the figures sell out.... sigh.
No. It wasn't a joke. Asmus canceled the Deluxe packs with TNS and they offered me to order smeagol or gollum and a baseball cap as compensation. I canceled my order and TNS refunded my deposit. Ordering from Asmus from Spain is not an option. FedEx charges absurd fees apart from the VAT that Spanish customs already collect. Buying in the Asmus Store is paying between 100 and 150 dollars more for a figure. Luckily I have a 3D printer and I can paint my own models. I will print the Gollum that I need.

Sounds like a problem between TNS and Asmus... not a problem with Asmus.
According to TNS Asmus said it was due to quality control issues. I attached to my post the original message from Asmus as sent to me by TNS. I don't really care about losing an Asmus release anymore. Too much stress with their sales policies to buy from Europe.

That is weird. Wonder why they just didn't delay?
What I don't understand is why they haven't changed factories. They had a huge debacle with quality control on that Ash figure too. I understand that's not entirely their fault - R_R_X once detailed how there's very few reliable factories out there and quality control can be an absolute nightmare. I know he said Hot Toys, LIM Toys and Damtoys all use the same factory...probably why their stuff usually come out in good shape.

So, I do sympathize with Asmus to some degree because it did sound like working with these factories can be challenging. I believe Asmus had once said that themselves. Maybe there's no better alternative to switch to, but you'd think they'd try and demand things be made correctly or they'd move their business elsewhere.

Then again, with them being Taiwan based, their options might be a bit more limited right now. And if it has to do with that, I do certainly have some degree of empathy.

I do find it interesting that the letter is dated the same day Asmus revealed the prints for the alternate heads for Gollum and Smeagol.
Maybe they have new plans with their new heads... I can't understand many of their decisions.

They have a new "Asmus" guy here on the boards too. Maybe some internal issues went on.

In any event... whatcha gonna do?
For now there will be no Gollum for me. I will surely print one in the pose that the diorama I am going to make requires. If they offer a pack with the new heads, I'll see what options I have.

What I don't understand is why they haven't changed factories. They had a huge debacle with quality control on that Ash figure too. I understand that's not entirely their fault - R_R_X once detailed how there's very few reliable factories out there and quality control can be an absolute nightmare. I know he said Hot Toys, LIM Toys and Damtoys all use the same factory...probably why their stuff usually come out in good shape.

So, I do sympathize with Asmus to some degree because it did sound like working with these factories can be challenging. I believe Asmus had once said that themselves. Maybe there's no better alternative to switch to, but you'd think they'd try and demand things be made correctly or they'd move their business elsewhere.

Then again, with them being Taiwan based, their options might be a bit more limited right now. And if it has to do with that, I do certainly have some degree of empathy.
I understand that if they could offer better shipping or better selling options through retailers, they would. I suspect that there must be a lot of internal problems going on lately. It's annoying to lose a preorder that I thought I had reserved, but as I said several posts ago, strangely I didn't care too much.

Edit: What I found ridiculous and really annoying was that they offered the cap as compensation... Really?

I understand that if they could offer better shipping or better selling options through retailers, they would. I suspect that there must be a lot of internal problems going on lately. It's annoying to lose a preorder that I thought I had reserved, but as I said several posts ago, strangely I didn't care too much.

Edit: What I found ridiculous and really annoying was that they offered the cap as compensation... Really?
I think they probably lost a ton of money on the Ash figure and the problems it had...which did sound to be largely responsible to the factory giving them problems. Not that it's an excuse.

With all the tensions between China and Taiwan, they may have had some problems sourcing other factories or even materials, which I guess would be considered an internal problem...technically. That's more of a legitimate excuse, although I would have preferred they just delayed things to train new staff in Taiwan, if possible.

The baseball cap was rough. I appreciate that they tried to do something, as misguided as it was. And it was terribly misguided. Doing nothing probably would have been better. A better solution would have been to offer Gollum heads to those screwed through TNS for free...but if money is an issue, I can understand why they didn't choose this route.

At the end of the day, I think releasing new heads for Gollum, Bilbo, Boromir, Faramir, etc would be an excellent way for them to make some much needed money and garner good favor with the community. I hope they do it. They need to start hitting home runs with InArt hot on their tail.

Back