Are most 12 inch SS Lines Dead?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr.Mirakle32 said:
They're not dead. They are only resting, waiting for a new life to come! (Or at least until Sideshow loses the rights to Star Wars and LOTR.)

"He's not quite dead."

Ee's poynin' fo de fee-ods!

abstractharmony said:
Buffyverse - 6 new figures over the last 12-18 months

X-Files - 2 new figures in the last 12 months

Bond - 5 New Figures in last 12 months

New Line - 3 New Figures in the last 12 months

Don't seem dead to me....

Giles was waaaaaaaaay over due. Cordelia in Angel's line up. Krycek and Skinner extremely limited and overdue, the last Bond's I heard of were rehashes, not new.
I understand that Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are the big in house money makers. But while they may bringing in more fans [and their $] to the Sideshow family, more of the "here from the start" fans are seemingly being asked to give up their seat at the table. Someone in an earlier post said the other lines aren;t dead just in the backseat. Ever take a roadtrip with family? You hear from the backseat.

Ironman1188 said:
Giles was waaaaaaaaay over due. Cordelia in Angel's line up. Krycek and Skinner extremely limited and overdue, the last Bond's I heard of were rehashes, not new.
I understand that Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are the big in house money makers. But while they may bringing in more fans [and their $] to the Sideshow family, more of the "here from the start" fans are seemingly being asked to give up their seat at the table. Someone in an earlier post said the other lines aren;t dead just in the backseat. Ever take a roadtrip with family? You hear from the backseat.

I preordered Krycek on 10 July 05 and Skinner on 8 January 06 - so as of yesterday no preorders for a year. I think this constitutes dead.

And I agree the bonds barely count.

Ironman1188 said:

Maybe they are in the trunk, only to be revealed if the cops pull us over? ;)

Honestly though, this discussion comes up every few months and the answers are always the same. We have a limited staff and limited resources, which automatically means that there is no way that every license that we hold can be concentrated on at all times. It evolves and changes depending on what's going on at the time. Currently Star Wars is a big focus, since it's the 30th anniversary and it's such a big, exciting license with so many nooks and crannies to explore. So is Marvel, with some awesome movies coming out this year (Ghost Rider, Spidey 3, FF 2, etc), and LOTR demands a lot of production attention as well, with the complicated fabrication, accessories and sculpting involved. Our old favorites are never dead, some are just 'resting' as Chicky said :duff

YEAH BUT HIGHLANDER IS DEAD..SAY IT DUSTY... I DARE YOU TO SAY IT !!!

Yes, it does seem that this conversation creeps up every couple of months. And still, all we, the loyal, old time fans have gotten is the same old "no line is ever dead" crap. I mean you no disrespect Dusty as you have always been the biggest source of help to this board [IMHO] but while Star Wars may be a big, exciting license it may well already have more background or lesser characters made than other lines. And its excitement would be mostly for those fans that are Star Wars fans, as would the excitement of an Ygor, Maleva or Dr. Frankenstein be for those of us that are Universal fans. I understand that resources have to be devoted to where the money is [Star Wars, LOTR] {I don't really count Marvel because Sideshow doesn't make them, they distribute them}but it does no good to "revisit" a line well down the road, then if it does not sell/sell well say "we told ya so" when in fact all the fans that would have been buying that/those item have left long ago when they felt abandoned and that nothing more was to come.
Someone had mentioned closure to the lines. I understand that Sideshow may be hesitant to be that rigid in its stance but perhaps something like:
Universal Monsters : we hope to rekindle the line in the next year or so with some most requsted fan favorites.
Planet of the Apes : Nothing in the near future but the Ape-o-nauts, TV characters and the exclusive Burt Reynolds as Brent may see daylight
James Bond : instead of just rehashing our current Bond sculpts we plan a Daniel Craig Bond as well as a bevy of Bond Girls with an all new body style
Anyway, you get the idea. Its not saying a line is defintely gone but you give mention as to what might be seen and a relative time frame. If one's favorite line is not acknowledged then it could be rather well assumed it is, in fact, dead.

Shai Hulud said:
YEAH BUT HIGHLANDER IS DEAD..SAY IT DUSTY... I DARE YOU TO SAY IT !!!

Exactly. If they debunked the Medieval Kurgan and Ramirez then there is nothing left to sell in this line and only Denger4000 and a couple of others would actually buy the TV show characters so the edition size would have to be set at like 3 or 4 each. Without the Medieval Kurgan, the Highlander line is officially dead.

dekadentdave said:
And better paint apps. :D
We wouldn't want our Kurgan with a shocked look on his face and purple lipstick. You know now that i think about it, maybe Sideshow not making this figure is a good idea.:rotfl

Back