Anyone else disappointed that Sideshow seems to be moving away from soft goods on PFs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ALL Marvel, Disney tax

BvS Batman $500, Bane $700, Darkseid $600, Armored Batman $525, Lex Luther $530, Killer Croc $520, TDK Joker $500, Lobo $580.

Anyway, point is prices have gone up pretty fast on these. Just saying I can't afford them any more. I'm happy with the 5 I have.

I prefer and love mixed media. That's what attracted me to start collecting premium formats. But fully sculpt also is needed on some and I starting to like it, as long as paint application doesn't suck.

I love mixed-media, I think it bring the statues to another level. However I started selling my mixed-media PFs and am now buying ones that are fully-sculpted or have less soft goods. Just easier to maintain and clean. Being in a tropical country, cleaning and prevention of molds on the soft goods and maintaining their quality is a regular PITA. I wouldn't have ordered the Pfeiffer Catwoman if it had fabric catsuit with an expiry date for humid countries.

I am. I like the soft goods applied to Superman, Batman, even going back to the Rocketeer. But the last several DC statues seem to be moving away from that: GL, aquaman, power girl, supergirl, etc.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but has Sideshow addressed that anywhere?

PowerGirl has mixed media. Her belt is pleather, and her cape is fabric.

I was thinking about this the other day since my Batman Returns Catwoman arrived and it's completely sculpted. I was comparing it with the mixed media Catwoman. Both are great but I do much prefer the leather suit on the mixed media. The different sheen, texture, and contrast with painted parts for sharpness (ie, no paint errors) are all appealing to me. Makes it look more realistic.

Getting back to the original topic...I'm a fully sculpted guy in general. However, no one will ever convince me that PFs like Lobo or modern Thor don't look best in mixed media. IMO, there are exceptions where mixed media is the only way to go. That said, I don't feel that way very often given my love for fully sculpted pieces.

You can't use fabric on Green Lantern or Aquaman...their costumes are skin tight
I dont know man....I have the DC direct museum quality Green Lantern and it's mexed medium. I really like it. I actually prefer them over the solid sculpt. Batgirl came with the posable leather or pleather cape with the wires which made for dynamic poseability of the piece and I really like it - one of my favourite pieces.

Isn't Bane come to think of it, mixed medium? And that one just came out....

I'm disappointed they seem to be moving more and more away from polystone. The newest alien...the Jesus one, is plastic and the base I understand is poly. That makes me QQ more than anything.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Yes, I like more mixed media. I'm also disappointed that SS has moved away from one off PF's like Godfather, Scarface or a license that offers a few like Pirates or Indy. Almost everything they do now is Marvel, DC or Star Wars. It's like they have forgotten that there are other areas of interest for fans. Would love to see the Bride from Kill Bill, Jules and Vincent from Pulp Ficton.........

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Definitely not the only one. I only collect movie PF's and have love Scarface, Godfather and so on. I miss those announcements a lot.

I only have two beefs with Sideshow PF's...and 'soft goods' isn't one. My two things are when they screw up the sculpts and paint jobs...Prices too.

I only have two beefs with Sideshow PF's...and 'soft goods' isn't one. My two things are when they screw up the sculpts and paint jobs...Prices too.
Similarly: sideshow came into being with those life size classic monster movie busts and they don't do that any more. That makes me sad. They have a newer Bela Lugosi bust but it's just not of the same quality of the old stuff.

The price...as unfortunate as it is, is to be expected. Any popular business will hike it's prices when demand shoots up. Would be nice though to scoop up a life size bust for 200$. Lol

Similarly: sideshow came into being with those life size classic monster movie busts and they don't do that any more. That makes me sad. They have a newer Bela Lugosi bust but it's just not of the same quality of the old stuff.

The price...as unfortunate as it is, is to be expected. Any popular business will hike it's prices when demand shoots up. Would be nice though to scoop up a life size bust for 200$. Lol

That Dracula bust isn't a Sideshow piece, they lost the Universial license years ago

That Dracula bust isn't a Sideshow piece, they lost the Universial license years ago
Well just salt the wound!

Yeah I figured it wasn't theirs since other carriers have it as well like Black Heart.

f764117adea4d88c6b62efa7253279a7.jpg

Compared to

Classic-Sabretooth-Premium-Format-Figure.jpg

Nope!

Back