Anybody else Star Wars'd out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you $tar War$'d out?

• Yes, I've OD'd on $tar War$. It's time to put it to bed.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • No, I will keep giving Luca$ my hard earned money for the rest of my life.

Votes: 70 72.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am some where between yes and no.

I still love SW, but I am in no way shelling out $$$$ on every SW product around.

I stick with a few items that I think are great and leave it at that.

I admit the SW juggernaut is a bit much to handle sometimes, but I dont get caught up in it.

I've been collecting Star Wars stuff since I was five, and during that time period the specifics of what I collect has constantly changed.

I don't do busts and lithographs and statues and soap dishes and what have you, never have.

I stopped being a completist with the 4" Kenner/Hasbro figures around 2000. I still buy some of them these days (Jabba's Palace, Cantina and anything else Tatooine related; the Separatist Council and Utapau clones make up the bulk of my purchases these days).

I was heavily into 1:6 figures and have an almost complete set, though I'm slowly selling off parts of this collection as new, better pieces are introduced by Sideshow and Medicom. This became my favored collection, so obviously I was overjoyed when Sideshow got the license for 1:6 figures, and I've been pretty happy with every release they've made thus far.

My wallet is still absorbing the damage from the Jabba set-up earlier this year (and is bracing for the Robocop and Aliens hits to it later this year), so I haven't picked up all of the Endor guys yet, and I'm waitlisted on the exclusive editions of Plo and Asajj since I missed their pre-orders.

I'm very ready for Sideshow to get going on armored figures, I've been holding off on Stormtroopers until I see what they're going to come up with, but outside of this I'm sticking with them.

I'm more excited by things like Bubo and the Dejarik table and the Sidious holo-chair than I am Yet Another Jedi Master.

I want more pieces for the Jabba set-up. I want a 1:6 Max Rebo and his band. I'd be first in line for the barbeque grill.

I want bar sections from the Cantina and Wuher and Momaw Nadon.

I want a 1:6 Wat Tambor.

I like offbeat.

The background characters are what make Star Wars special to me.

I Love Star Wars plain and simple.

However I am pretty much done with buying toys. I just don't have the room. ( well except for a code 3 falcon if I can ever find one cheap enough.

But I will buy every new edition of the films he puts out for the rest of my life.

Here is what I have owned so far

Video disc - Ones that played like a record by RCA not the Laser Discs
First run VHS
Bought Original SW again because tape wore out
Repackaged VHS trilogy box set.
Widescreen THX trilogy box set
SE WS trilogy box set.
Bootleg DVDs of the orginal trilogy copied from Laser Disc
WS DVD box set

The DVDs with the original cut of the films I have not bought. I am waithing out for the big boxed set. However if news is that the original cuts will not be included I will be running out to pick them up.

I am sure I will get them on Blue ray or HD. Whichever format wins the war.

And in 10 years when he puts out the SUPER DUPER extended limited special editions, I will buy them also

Not only will I never be Star Wars'd out, but I am now giving Lucasfilm my blood, sweat, and tears (indirectly). Star Wars is #1 in my book, and it's like a dream to be able to work with it, in any way, shape, or form :rock :rock

I was pretty much out of Star Wars and Sideshow brought me back in with the 1/6 and PF lines. But I've pretty much sold all of them other than a couple PF's and I'm back out. :rolleyes: :eek:

I think collecting as a whole comes and goes in cycles. One month one might be like "that's it!, I've had it!" then you quit for a while but you are lured back somehow and before you know it your back in the game. I also believe that many of us 30 somethings have all run the collecting trends of the last few years (i.e collecting toys, then dumping toys for higher end collectibles) and are now at the point where we separate the men from the boys. I think people will either stick with it or abandon it and move on to greener pastures. With no new films we are now back to post ROTJ era, sure the TV show and cartoon will draw some interest but Star Wars will never see the the same expoure it saw during the prequels, at least not until George gets bored again and decides to make episodes VII, VIII and IX.

I haven't responded to this poll as I am neither - I love the movies and many of the collectibles that are released (but not all!) so I only get the pieces that I really like, and that my finance minister (wife) allows me to buy.

Scriff

SideshowDusty said:
Not only will I never be Star Wars'd out, but I am now giving Lucasfilm my blood, sweat, and tears (indirectly). Star Wars is #1 in my book, and it's like a dream to be able to work with it, in any way, shape, or form :rock :rock

Amen to that, Dusty...and I for one am delighted with Sideshow's efforts thus far...

As for the question at hand, neither poll question summed up how I'm feeling about it right now...I know that my focus for collecting is going to really narrow down after this 30th Anniversary year is over.
I'm dropping Hasbro at the end of this year... seems like a good year to stop...I ended with the coins in the '80s and now I'll end it with them again here...they are doing some great things with basic figures this year that I'm enjoying like the McQuarrie figures, the Comic Packs and alot of good background characters for displays but that's it.

After this, it's strictly Sideshow Figures for me..as I commented at the end of last year about the line...these Sideshow figures have made collecting fun again...I've enjoyed the entire experience of the getting these figures, from the first announcements to the PPO to the rampant commentary around here to the first photos of the lucky folks who get 'em first to finally having them for myself and enjoying the craftsmanship and fun of them through taking photos of my own and finally displaying them for myself.
I'm not knockin' Hasbro...they have (and still) put out great stuff, but the last several years of collecting that stuff has been like a chore instead of fun. Sideshow has restored the fun aspect of this hobby for me and they've got me hooked for the long run!
And yes, I may pick up an occasional bust (that is, if Gentle Giant doesn't make it too hard to get :) ) or MR piece...but that's it.

The recent books are leaving me cold (although I'm awaiting anything from Karen Traviss. Matthew Stover or James Lucerno and the "Death Star" novel sounds intriguing) and the new comic titles just aren't grabbing me either.

While I'm looking forward to the new animated series and hopefully the live-action one will appear someday, I'm not anticipating getting any merch related to either of those projects...it's been the Skywalker saga that's grabbed me for all these years as a collector and while the new projects may entertain and have the name "Star Wars" attached to 'em, I don't see icon status for either like the original saga.

(sorry about the long-winded response here gang...but that's what happens when I crack n' down a brew or two while I'm here :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
My enthusiasm is diminished, but I wouldn't say it's gone out, still some smoldering going on. Hopefully something will come along and breathe some life back into the fire.
Sunohc's TPM Obi Wan sculpt, for example, is the most exciting thing I've seen lately in the SW realm.

SideshowDusty said:

I would love to be able to work on either LOTR or SW with you guys at SS. That would just be about the coolest things ever especially being a huge fan of both. :rock

With the coolness of products coming from SS or that you guys are distributing from Medicom it's like X-Mas all the time.

I've never been a big-time collector, but I'm always going to be open to something that is appealing to my tastes and interests, and Star Wars very often fits that description.

I am not interested in anything hasbro has been offering. I couldn't even get excited over the coins, which are cool. I suppose the fire still burns, but not like it used to. I am interested in 1/6 figures and statues, but that is about it except for some posters here or there

Back