Any shot for Mad Max:Fury Road Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I've been hearing nothing but good things about Fury Road, even raving about it. I've also heard the same about the Road Warrior. Although I didn't know that was actually a sequel. I just assumed it was the original. Should I just go right into the Road Warrior?

The films don't really need to be watched in order, but I would recommend watching the original Mad Max first.

Yeah, I've been hearing nothing but good things about Fury Road, even raving about it. I've also heard the same about the Road Warrior. Although I didn't know that was actually a sequel. I just assumed it was the original. Should I just go right into the Road Warrior?

Definitely watch the first 3 in order.
The first one tells the story of how he becomes 'mad' and how he gets his iconic car.....though be aware it is horribly dated and low budget and is quite literally a group of 20 something Australian's just out of film school with a few cameras, smashing cars into things :D

The confusion on titles is because Mad Max was a low budget Aussie film that was big here but never had a real big international push.
For Mad Max 2 they decided to try and push it in the US market and they felt the sequel number would turn people off so it got
retitled in America as 'The Road Warrior', specifically to disguise that it was a sequel.
And it became not just the iconic film of the franchise but the icon of all things post-apocalyptic.

Because they then created confusion for themselves, the third one tries to have it both ways by reintroducing 'Mad Max' but leaving the numbering off and giving us the awesomely bad title 'Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome'

The new one isn't a reboot but is purposely vague about where it sits in timeline continuity (I personally think between 2 and 3 but others say after 3) and doesn't concern itself with getting every little point of continuity right....just sit back and enjoy the carnage :D

Steer clear of Thunderdome, watch the other three. :duff

Watch all of them and decide for yourself.

The new one isn't a reboot but is purposely vague about where it sits in timeline continuity (I personally think between 2 and 3 but others say after 3) and doesn't concern itself with getting every little point of continuity right....just sit back and enjoy the carnage :D

The recently-released Mad Max #1 comic from Vertigo was written by George Miller and it puts all this nonsense to rest. Hardy's Max is the same character as Gibson's Max and the chronological order of the 4 films is the same as release order.

Watch all of them and decide for yourself.

The recently-released Mad Max #1 comic from Vertigo was written by George Miller and it puts all this nonsense to rest. Hardy's Max is the same character as Gibson's Max and the chronological order of the 4 films is the same as release order.

Well that's good to know he's finally decided since he is on record in interviews as saying he doesn't know or giving both answers (before and after 3)
It was always clear it was the same Max but not where the film was placed.

As per the IMDB FAQ:

George Miller refuses to call the film either a sequel or a reboot. He just calls the film a "revisiting". Miller claimed that after the first Mad Max film he doesn't really see a continuity or set time frame between the films, although he would think of 'Fury Road' as taking place after Thunderdome. In SXSW, George Miller also claimed that the previous three films exist in no real clear chronology, because they were always conceived as different films.

Tom Hardy also spoke on this issue by saying, "We have to take it differently as George is taking it. It's a relaunch and revisit to the world. An entire restructuring. That's not to say that it's not picking up or leaving off from the Mad Max you know already, but it's a nice re-take on the entire world using the same character, depositing him in the same world but bringing him up to date by 30 years." On the other hand, Charlize Theron also said that Hardy wasn't playing Mel Gibson's character. They just happen to be both named Max Rockatanski. In fact, Miller stated with the 30 year gap since the last film and a new actor playing the lead, it was just easier to do a new version of the film without maintaining any continuity. The easiest way Miller puts it is to think of each film as a "legend of the Road Warrior" meaning that each film is a story about Mad Max that happened, but perhaps told by different people and so some things are altered from each story.

The presence of Max's iconic 'last of the V8 Interceptors' police car suggests that this film follows directly on from the original Mad Max. It was destroyed in Mad Max 2 implying that both it and Mad Max; Beyond Thunderdome are in a separate storyline. However, in the original movie, Max had a son who was killed by the Toecutter's gang while in this film he's shown to have a lost a daughter who was killed by a war party, possibly Immortan Joe's forces.

You can fit it into a working chronology by simply saying that Max had a daughter with another woman, and lost her as well. And who's to say there wasn't another V8 Interceptor out there! :wink1:

Here are the comic pages in question. This is an officially licensed product written by Miller himself and it was also released less than a month ago so it supersedes anything said before:

4ea434664a85f52813b6148390e57b7d.jpg
fc73adc31283331c1cb17d4c1c66aa57.jpg
c247f360760e03d824005198a1233c8e.jpg

Steer clear of Thunderdome, watch the other three. :duff

Fury Road almost feels like a remake of Thunderdome, but I'd still check out BT. It's the weakest of the series but not awful.

As for the girl, the abovementioned comic confirms it's not Max's daughter, just a fellow prisoner he comes across at Gastown and (obviously) fails to rescue.

That was an interesting read. Chronology in movies is great, especially after a 30 year gap....
I went to the cinema to see Mad Max 2 after watching Barry Norman on the BBC actually saying he liked it. The first Max was an X cert in the UK, and I was too young to see it. I did tho, love the poster, and got it from my local cinema. So that and Barry's endorsement were good enough for me. Needless to say, I absolutely loved it. To this day it's never left my top 5 favorite movies.
About a week after seeing the movie, I found Mad Max (the original) in a video store. I didn't rent it. I bought it ( for a then stupid high price if 50 quid). I did expect it to be better than 2. Originals usually are the best. Not here. That said, I enjoyed it and continue to do so.
Fast forward to Thunderdome, and again, I was super excited to go see another Max movie at the cinema. Albeit this time with a more family friendly certificate. From the get go, it was a great piece of entertainment. The music was amazing, and I totally love the themes put to Tina Turner's lyrics. The movie did not live up to my expectations, but was still a good couple of hours of Max in a cinema.
Fury Road: I've been reading about this for over a decade. I thought it would never happen, and I genuinely thought it wouldn't work after all this time. So I didn't bother with it, until yesterday. It's amazing. I loved it.
So, back to continuity. I saw these movies; 2-1-3-4. Does it matter? Nope, not at all. Each holds a separate story (i use the term loosely) and each is an action packed, no holds barred assault on the senses. You gotta love em.

Figures. I would have to say that Hardy's look is still overshadowed by Gibson in 2. His look in 2 is iconic, and if HT were to do a Max, I would much prefer a Gibson figure from 2.

Here are the comic pages in question. This is an officially licensed product written by Miller himself and it was also released less than a month ago so it supersedes anything said before:

As for the girl, the abovementioned comic confirms it's not Max's daughter, just a fellow prisoner he comes across at Gastown and (obviously) fails to rescue.

And it also says he was gathering parts to "rebuild his Interceptor". It all falls into place in spite of Miller's earlier refusal to see Fury Road as a sequel.

The film was incomplete, or poorly edited, requiring a comic to fill in the untold gaps and iron out apparent inconsistencies. I like it when film series fall into place.

Yeah, I'm a chronology/consistency nut myself. But as noted in another thread, Miller prefers to do standalone films that don't necessarily fit into any particular sequence (like the Bond movies).

For whatever reason he was reluctant to give a timeline in interviews, yet still wrote the comic that confirms the events of Fury Road come after BT.

4ea434664a85f52813b6148390e57b7d.jpg
fc73adc31283331c1cb17d4c1c66aa57.jpg
c247f360760e03d824005198a1233c8e.jpg

Awesome stuff, thanks!

And it also says he was gathering parts to "rebuild his Interceptor". It all falls into place in spite of Miller's earlier refusal to see Fury Road as a sequel.
The film was incomplete, or poorly edited, requiring a comic to fill in the untold gaps and iron out apparent inconsistencies. I like it when film series fall into place.

I don't know why the Interceptor even ended up being in Fury Road.
He does nothing with it and it gets crushed at the end.
At the end when he was swinging high up on those polls, I thought he was going to get flung off and land on his Interceptor and then take it back and save the day. If they had of made it like the start of Mad Max 1 at that point, of showing him get in, slowly prepare himself, flooring it and coming to the rescue, I probably would have lost it and started screaming in the cinema :D

...but instead it just got crushed and was gone again.... :gah:

I like how they treated the Interceptor in MMFR. IMO, It's treated like a character more that just an object in Miller's movies. Max's quest for redemption seems to play out as the Interceptor being an extension of Max. He is constantly repairing it, just like his character needs repairing.

Back