ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DX9 are going to be revealing their Blitzwing shortly,

I don't expect it'll be up to much, as none of their previous figures have really hit the mark, but it might have some nice ideas in the design that another company can use for a better version.

eff7910b7ab1804bc5786bebbbe407d1.jpg

3506e3a149e779baa0041705b10c8d0b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Shockwave :wink1: looks great.

I just have to nitpick and say I don't like that clear thingy on the back of the head.

:dunno

If I believed all the scaremongering BS about QC that gets tossed about with every new release I wouldn't order a single figure :lol

I know what you mean and I've taken a chance on plenty of 3rd party figures before now and it usually works out for me. The only time I've let QC issues dissuade me from buying a figure are XT Wheelie and that Skyfire that came out a few years ago. I like to be pre-warned of any potential problems so I know what to expect when I first handle my figures, and also so I dont get stuck with a lemon.

Just cracked open MMC Sphinx and it has no problems at all :yess: Also received TFC Ironwill and I'm really happy with it.

Already have Quakewave so was planning on skipping Shockwave, but that shot where he's saluting does look really good...

Does anyone know what's going on with MP shockwaves backpack? It looks like there is two options with it, a jetpack look and a backpack type of look, is that built into the transformation or is the jetpack a clip on piece? I have to say that I like the jetpack look and that might actually sway me to get that over FT shockwave.

There has been a hint (kinda) of Badcube doing an MP Jazz....someone asked on their facebook and they "winked"

Does anyone know what's going on with MP shockwaves backpack? It looks like there is two options with it, a jetpack look and a backpack type of look, is that built into the transformation or is the jetpack a clip on piece? I have to say that I like the jetpack look and that might actually sway me to get that over FT shockwave.

I'm sure the purple one snaps on top of the gray one. The purple one is completely not a part of the transformation, and only serves as a Gun mode stand, while the gray one is fixed in place, and doesn't partsform. Look at the leg transformation, there's seriously MAD engineering involved in Shocky.

I can't wait for him.

Also, the new Generations book (where this scans are from) apparently has some sort of interview in which a designer states that the goal is to have one MP a month, or something like that. One member's wife over at TFW did the translation.

If this is true, we might in fact see all characters being made at some point. One of the reasons as to why I'm now holding off on buying anything 3P.

I know what you mean and I've taken a chance on plenty of 3rd party figures before now and it usually works out for me. The only time I've let QC issues dissuade me from buying a figure are XT Wheelie and that Skyfire that came out a few years ago. I like to be pre-warned of any potential problems so I know what to expect when I first handle my figures, and also so I dont get stuck with a lemon.

Just cracked open MMC Sphinx and it has no problems at all :yess: Also received TFC Ironwill and I'm really happy with it.

Already have Quakewave so was planning on skipping Shockwave, but that shot where he's saluting does look really good...

Glad your new figures are both good!

After you've been collecting a while it gets easy enough to pick out the good QC reports from the bad and proceed accordingly, I trust 4-5 companies enough to pre-order based on initial prototype images, I need a bit more convincing with XTransbots :lol

I don't know, guys. Glad you got good ones, but I decided not to risk it. There was always something a bit "off" in my eyes anyway (aside from the Ell and GooYear, that is), and there are a LOT of bad reports, not the stuff you read about in, say, a FansToys thread. There are QC issues, and then there are design flaws - the use of pins in much of the joints seems to be something of an issue with a lot of people, already causing looseness.

Anyway, I don't want to dump on anyone else's choice here - I am happy you lucked out. But given Takara's focus on cars, I'm cool with waiting for an official one, which seems near-inevitable at this point, or else seeing what FansToys or Badcube does. Those are the only two third party companies I trust right now, though XTransbots might be... Still need to research Andras feedback. :)

Got my first Sphinx this morning and have no issues with the joints, paint or overall quality.

The only outright design flaw is the connector on the shoulder weapon which doesn't allow for it to be angled upwards like the one on the MP Lamborghini mold. The part is only attached by one screw so it's only a matter of time before somebody offers a better option, I think I saw a TFW member say he'd already started doing a 3D model with a view to selling the part via Shapeways.

It'll take more than a small part replacement to fix the issues with Tracks or the Ironhide/Ratchet mold :lol

The piece that the ball joint for the head is attached to is quite thin but providing you take due care when handling the figure in that area there's no reason whatsoever to be concerned about a breakage.

Criticising the fake sponsor logos is grasping at straws. Takara did the same on MP Smokescreen as well as the G1 Mirage toy that Sphinx can be said to homage so why do they get a free pass and MMC don't?

Takara might make Mirage themselves but with the guy responsible for the Ironhide/Ratchet mold leading the design team the chances of it looking anywhere close to the same quality as Sphinx, let alone better are pretty slim.

DX9 have revealed Blitzwing,

Like all their other figures, it's a nice interpretation of the character but some way short of being MP style.

Criticising the fake sponsor logos is grasping at straws. Takara did the same on MP Smokescreen as well as the G1 Mirage toy that Sphinx can be said to homage so why do they get a free pass and MMC don't?

I think it's the fact that they're made-up words that bothers me... but to be quite honest, I didn't particularly like it on Smokescreen, either. Also, no one's going to be making another Smokescreen, so that's really the only option.

As it turns out, however, it looks like even after I cancelled my preorder, it got sent anyway... the company has offered a full refund, of course, but I also have the option of keeping it now (and they offered to pay for shipping, since they screwed up and, well, they would be losing out on the $15 or whatever it would take for me to send it back, anyway, I guess! So I do get a better price)...

I dunno. Should I keep it, now?

Got my first Sphinx this morning and have no issues with the joints, paint or overall quality.

The only outright design flaw is the connector on the shoulder weapon which doesn't allow for it to be angled upwards like the one on the MP Lamborghini mold. The part is only attached by one screw so it's only a matter of time before somebody offers a better option, I think I saw a TFW member say he'd already started doing a 3D model with a view to selling the part via Shapeways.

It'll take more than a small part replacement to fix the issues with Tracks or the Ironhide/Ratchet mold :lol

The piece that the ball joint for the head is attached to is quite thin but providing you take due care when handling the figure in that area there's no reason whatsoever to be concerned about a breakage.

Takara might make Mirage themselves but with the guy responsible for the Ironhide/Ratchet mold leading the design team the chances of it looking anywhere close to the same quality as Sphinx, let alone better are pretty slim.

DX9 have revealed Blitzwing,

Like all their other figures, it's a nice interpretation of the character but some way short of being MP style.

DX is alright, I think their triple changers look pretty good though, probably their best stuff, but I agree with your comment about them being short of MP level. But I feel like they intentional design their figures to be between the classics line and MP which creates it's own odd little space where they don't really fit in with any one line.

That Blitzwing looks even chunkier in another pic I saw on TFW. Cool that some fancy Blitzwings are being made, but that just wouldn't fit with the MP display I've got going. If nothing else, he needs to look less busy, and more streamlined.

I think it's the fact that they're made-up words that bothers me... but to be quite honest, I didn't particularly like it on Smokescreen, either. Also, no one's going to be making another Smokescreen, so that's really the only option.

As it turns out, however, it looks like even after I cancelled my preorder, it got sent anyway... the company has offered a full refund, of course, but I also have the option of keeping it now (and they offered to pay for shipping, since they screwed up and, well, they would be losing out on the $15 or whatever it would take for me to send it back, anyway, I guess! So I do get a better price)...

I dunno. Should I keep it, now?

OK fair enough, to be honest I wasn't overly thrilled with it on Smokescreen either, I just found that I got used to it so it wasn't an issue with Sphinx. The one figure I wanted the main real world sponsor on was Wheeljack and I got it so anything else was a bonus :)

If they've already sent it give it a go, if you get a bad one then get your refund. You'll at least have seen it in hand then and been able to have a look at the awesome Diaclone style packaging, complete with tech specs.

jnmx2000,
I think that's about right. None of their figures are horrible representations of the characters they're supposed to be, they're just not quite Classics and not quite Masterpiece.

karamazov80,
It does look a bit too chunky. KFC's render looked slimmer, but until they reveal the actual prototype we won't for sure whether that's the case.

When I decided I'd switch my collecting focus from various statues to Transformers figures it seemed like it would be a pretty straightforward process: buy any future MP releases I'm interested in while catching up on previous releases I missed. I wasn't really aware of all of the different 3rd party offerings however. Now I'm really confused about what I should get. :rotfl :monkey2

It's tough sometimes. I've been on the fence about that Mirage. He's in my Pile of Loot, but I may cancel. After seeing the various in-hand pics and videos, something is off about it. But we may not get anything better.

It's tough sometimes. I've been on the fence about that Mirage. He's in my Pile of Loot, but I may cancel. After seeing the various in-hand pics and videos, something is off about it. But we may not get anything better.

I'm just starting so it's a little overwhelming trying to figure out where to start and what to buy/not buy. The other night I did order/pre-order MP Optimus, Wheeljack, Tracks, Ultra Magnus, Shockwave, and Hot Rod from HLJ, and Bluestreak and Ratchet from AE. Not having anything shipped until they're all in-stock so now I'm trying to decide what to track down in the meantime. Also trying to decide whether to go with Fans Toys or Gigapower for my Dinobot needs.

I'm just starting so it's a little overwhelming trying to figure out where to start and what to buy/not buy. The other night I did order/pre-order MP Optimus, Wheeljack, Tracks, Ultra Magnus, Shockwave, and Hot Rod from HLJ, and Bluestreak and Ratchet from AE. Not having anything shipped until they're all in-stock so now I'm trying to decide what to track down in the meantime. Also trying to decide whether to go with Fans Toys or Gigapower for my Dinobot needs.

If you are just starting it is easy to order a lot. Keep in mind your emotions will directly effect your purchases. For me I have been collecting mainline retail since 2006 starting with Classics through current main line. I also have collected all Masterpiece including Takara & Hasbro. I then said to myself this was stupid to collect almost the same figures with slight paint variances between Hasbro and Takara. Now I have settled for All Takara which is Cartoon accurate releases with the exception of Hasbro Soundwave. I also like shelf presence so I bought an Ultimetal Prime in hopes that they will at least make Megatron.

I guess the moral to my story is , collecting can get out of hand. If I were to do it all over and start clean, I would focus on one line and stick with it.

PS I have not purchased any third party up to this point, but the Chrome Guttur looks amazing.

Back