ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pre-production review of Maketoys Gundog (AKA Hound) - Toy Version. I honestly don't know how Takara can improve on this...I mean, I hope they will but for now I'd be very happy if this was the only one to be made. Planning on purchasing both versions.

Yeah, people always say that... but TT usually brings the pain. Quakewave for example.

I think MT's hound is pretty impressive though, but seeing him transform I see a few things I don't like. The accordion transformation with the fists. The upper body overall looks a little strangely shaped head on. The legs in general seem too squat or something. Hard to say. That said, I'm glad MT got into the game. If any team should be making MP alternatives, it's them. I'm on the fence on getting this, but it does seem fun to own.

Sorry,but in robot mode the wings kinda ruins the overall look.They should consider making parts like that detachable for that particular reason.

Not loving Ramjet. It doesn't look Masterpiece quality. Those legs are huge.

Re Hound, it IS surprising that TT hasn't done one yet, considering how iconic he is in the show. I think I'm liking Fanstoys version better so far though, so let's see what it looks like in color.

And regarding Gigapower, this pic pretty much says it all. I can't wait to have all 5 (i can't wait to have 1 actually, as I'm waiting for Chrome Snarl).
10455441_1632794240321101_8706967164188096165_n.jpg

Ramjet looks great and I'm glad that they're doing the Coneheads. It's unfortunate that it's a TakaraTomyMall Exclusive price-wise, but better than nothing I guess.

I would be surprised to see too many companies taking up characters Takara has already done. But Ironhide could be an exception, as I feel this is probably the worst miss by Takara since the reboot of the line with MP-10.

WOW on Ramjet. Did not see that coming this soon! Definitely getting that guy - according to TFW, it'll be a Japanese release, too, which means more in the $130 range. :)

EDIT: Apparently not a "regular" release, though - could be limited. Hmmm...

I would back FT, Badcube, MMC and XTransbots to design a better Ironhide/Ratchet than any we've seen so far, it's whether they will see the characters as viable.

Yup, agreed.

Hey, which Sunstreaker are you getting, btw? I've almost pulled the trigger on the Badcube one, but I don't know yet...

Last edited:
Read through the TFW thread for Ramjet a bit and saw an interesting discussion. The listing got pulled because apparently, they were supposed to reveal another Diaclone repaint, not Ramjet who is a regular MP release coming in 2016. If that IS the case, the price will be much more reasonable.

WOW on Ramjet. Did not see that coming this soon! Definitely getting that guy - according to TFW, it'll be a Japanese release, too, which means more in the $130 range. :)

EDIT: Apparently not a "regular" release, though - could be limited. Hmmm...

Yup, agreed.

Hey, which Sunstreaker are you getting, btw? I've almost pulled the trigger on the Badcube one, but I don't know yet...

There's a lot of excitement over Ramjet but really it's something TT could have done a long time ago as it's hardly the greatest design challenge although I wasn't suprised to discover that Kobayashi has still managed to add some kibble that doesn't do the overall aesthetic any favors in the form of giant knee pads :slap

A more sensible area for retooling would have been the feet because the articulation on them is very limited compared to the earlier Seeker mold and I also think a nod to the G1 toy by making Ramjet's unique weapons would have been a decent change.

But it is what it is, 2016 will be the first year I spend nothing on official MP figures since I switched from Classics collecting in 2012 so my wallet will get a bit of a breather.

I pre-ordered 2 Badcube SunSurge figures a couple of weeks back.

It's a clear winner over Spinout for me, it hits all the major design cues, has diecast, chrome and rubber tyres and most importantly looks like it'll actually be released :lol

Spinout is a nice looking Sunstreaker, but it takes too many liberties with the design in both modes to really work as a Masterpiece. If it's released I'd put it in that same "not quite" territory as DX9's figures.

I saw some pictures of the Badcube Insecticos, and is it me, or am I the only one that thinks they look better than the FT ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot of excitement over Ramjet but really it's something TT could have done a long time ago as it's hardly the greatest design challenge although I wasn't suprised to discover that Kobayashi has still managed to add some kibble that doesn't do the overall aesthetic any favors in the form of giant knee pads :slap

A more sensible area for retooling would have been the feet because the articulation on them is very limited compared to the earlier Seeker mold and I also think a nod to the G1 toy by making Ramjet's unique weapons would also have been a decent change.

Did you see this? The knee pads are cartoon accurate. :)

ramjetg1_copy.jpg

Yeah, Takara could have done it a while ago, but eh... I mean, unless they really up their release schedule it would have taken the place of some other Masterpiece that was released.

I can see why the Coneheads aren't that exciting to everyone, though. They certainly don't seem as essential as, say, the original three Seekers, or many other characters. To be quite honest, they're a bit borderline for me as well. I had the iGear ones for a bit and ended up selling those about a year ago, with no regrets. I'm almost certain I'll be getting them all (assuming they're all released) but they really aren't that necessary for a solid MP Decepticon display.

For my part, it's all about Megatron, Soundwave (and his tapes), Starscream and his two Seeker buddies, Shockwave, the Insecticons and the Constructicons. I could have that right now, or soon enough anyway, if I was to settle on Apollyon or CW Devastator... but I think I'll wait for better options on both. Anything else - Triple Changers, other combiners, the Coneheads, or Season Three guys - is gravy.

I pre-ordered 2 Badcube SunSurge figures a couple of weeks back.

It's a clear winner over Spinout for me, it hits all the major design cues, has diecast, chrome and rubber tyres and most importantly looks like it'll actually be released :lol

Spinout is a nice looking Sunstreaker, but it takes too many liberties with the design in both modes to really work as a Masterpiece. If it's released I'd put it in that same "not quite" territory as DX9's figures.

Yeah, I think I'm with you on that. I've come close to ordering, though I guess I do prefer official figures when it comes to the cars, whenever possible. I could see MP Sunstreaker getting released, but then again, after seeing MP Ironhide, there's no guarantee it'll be better than SunSurge. ;)

The new Fans Toys FT-12 Grenadier is just fantastic!! They got the G1 aesthetic pretty much perfect, and damn the diecast build quality is topnotch! Very impressed by this 3rd party figure!

I figured the kneepads were a very conscious decision. I actually also got Grenadier in the mail yesterday, along with my second Appolyon. And my feeling was the same--Grenadier seems like pure quality. Heavy, tight joints, great paint apps, just a fantastic little guy. I've also got the Perceptor, though I haven't opened him up yet. Appolyon. . .more or less the same as my first experience, which wasn't great. Loose as all hell, little chips on his head again, and some smudges here or there, as if the QC process isn't very well refined for those guys yet. But I don't see the dimples in his chest, and he seems to have a nice shiny paint coating on some areas that I didn't notice before, so I'm guessing some improvements were made from round 1 to round 2 of production.

An impressive retool and another surprising release, but I really wish they'd scrap the MP-11 mold entirely and start from scratch. Everything about the mold is so flawed that you'd need to retool everything to fix it anyhow. The transformation is joyless, and the robot mode is basically un-posable due to a combination of poor articulation, worthless feet, overly-stiff joints, kibble rubbing against kibble, and the upper body coming undone every time you so much look at the shoulders. It's just a horrendous design in every way imaginable and doesn't fit with the rest of the line at all, seeing as how every other figure us fun to pick up, pose, and transform.

Speaking of Masterpieces, thanks to karamazov80 hooking me up with a Bumblebee last week, I now have the full Autobot cast of the new Transformers: Devastation game!

DSC_0821 (1).jpg

Did you see this? The knee pads are cartoon accurate. :)

View attachment 219032

Yeah, Takara could have done it a while ago, but eh... I mean, unless they really up their release schedule it would have taken the place of some other Masterpiece that was released.

I can see why the Coneheads aren't that exciting to everyone, though. They certainly don't seem as essential as, say, the original three Seekers, or many other characters. To be quite honest, they're a bit borderline for me as well. I had the iGear ones for a bit and ended up selling those about a year ago, with no regrets. I'm almost certain I'll be getting them all (assuming they're all released) but they really aren't that necessary for a solid MP Decepticon display.

For my part, it's all about Megatron, Soundwave (and his tapes), Starscream and his two Seeker buddies, Shockwave, the Insecticons and the Constructicons. I could have that right now, or soon enough anyway, if I was to settle on Apollyon or CW Devastator... but I think I'll wait for better options on both. Anything else - Triple Changers, other combiners, the Coneheads, or Season Three guys - is gravy.

Yeah, I think I'm with you on that. I've come close to ordering, though I guess I do prefer official figures when it comes to the cars, whenever possible. I could see MP Sunstreaker getting released, but then again, after seeing MP Ironhide, there's no guarantee it'll be better than SunSurge. ;)

I did see it but the way it's drawn in the picture looks a lot smoother than how the knee pads look on the actual figure.

I think it's one of those situations where Kobayashi has added something from the cartoon just for the sake of doing so regardless of whether it works as well on a 3D object as it did on a 2D drawing with limited detail.

Hasui's approach was much more to my liking,

Back