ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been rewatching the G1 season 1 cartoons recently, and in some episodes it is shocking how similar Prime and the other Transformers look to those IDW designs. I thought they were pretty consistent in style (if not quality exactly) in those old cartoons, but they weren't.

Funny, I'm doing the opposite. Hot Toys are getting too expensive for me, though, being poor college student doesn't help much.
My collecting habits are moving away from Hot Toys, as well, just because my interests have shifted toward custom figures, and MP Transformers. Those are the only things I can consistently bank on buying.

I've been rewatching the G1 season 1 cartoons recently, and in some episodes it is shocking how similar Prime and the other Transformers look to those IDW designs. I thought they were pretty consistent in style (if not quality exactly) in those old cartoons, but they weren't.

My collecting habits are moving away from Hot Toys, as well, just because my interests have shifted toward custom figures, and MP Transformers. Those are the only things I can consistently bank on buying.

Same :rock
I think this is a great time to be a TF fan.

It's really more of the interpretation than the actual design. Dreamwave heralded the more dynamic, human-like proportions you see all the time in IDW, Masterpiece figures, and whatever else now. Basically a cleaner, more dynamic take on the Sunbow cartoon character models.

Albeit they had some weird, almost Liefeld-esque errors going on, too, if I recall correctly. But it was (mostly) pretty, unlike some of the Marvel art, which was pretty heavily based on the G1 toys. :)

I still have some of the issues... maybe I'll give them a read. Been a long while. :)

ANYWAY... So I got some extra money in my Paypal, decided to finally order a Quakewave. Honestly, not that I'm a "sky is falling now that Hasui is leaving" kind of guy... but that news did finally sway me to bite the bullet and get him. :)

Thanks for the info. I thought it was a different design i just wasn't seeing but what you say makes sense.

I moved away from Hot Toys too. I just don't get excited about Batman and Ironman figures, I guess.

Prices are getting ridiculous too. I've even found myself canceling Sideshow GI Joe preorders. I just don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth anymore. When they were $90-120, sure, but not now.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was a different design i just wasn't seeing but what you say makes sense.

Glad to help! :)

So I see we might be seeing Wheeljack soon. I have been away from these boards too long lol.

Also, does anybody here know of another way to contact TFsource other than through e-mail. I couldn't find a phone number on the site anywhere, that or I completely missed it.

Yeah, it almost seems like Takara is moving in the other direction when you can pre-order Masterpiece TFs for around $40, while standard Sideshow pieces are now going for $175-200 (which is extremely overpriced) and HT pieces are going for $200-220 as a baseline price (which is a little overpriced).

Yeah, it almost seems like Takara is moving in the other direction when you can pre-order Masterpiece TFs for around $40, while standard Sideshow pieces are now going for $175-200 (which is extremely overpriced) and HT pieces are going for $200-220 as a baseline price (which is a little overpriced).

Never understood how a MP can be so cheap compared to a HT/SS figure. Compare MP-02 Soundwave to a recent HT release. He was $120 which is half the price of a HT. Sure he doesn't have the detailed paint and headsculpt or fabric but the engineering and detail that goes into making a MP with it transforming surely makes up for that? Not to mention the extra cassettes that came with it.

It could be about the number of units made i guess. More units = lower price. Either that or HT/SS are just greedy or i'm missing something.

Both sides are making profits. Edition sizes are probably part of it (Takara/Hasbro no doubt produce many times what Hot Toys typically does). But I reckon some of the Hot Toys Iron Men are roughly equivalent to some of the MP Transformers in terms of number of different parts that have to be cast, painted, etc. HT will still have light up gimmicks, the figures are a bit bigger, they come with fancier packaging, etc., and that probably all factors in at some level.

Never understood how a MP can be so cheap compared to a HT/SS figure. Compare MP-02 Soundwave to a recent HT release. He was $120 which is half the price of a HT. Sure he doesn't have the detailed paint and headsculpt or fabric but the engineering and detail that goes into making a MP with it transforming surely makes up for that? Not to mention the extra cassettes that came with it.

It could be about the number of units made i guess. More units = lower price. Either that or HT/SS are just greedy or i'm missing something.

Hot Toys is one thing... but when I see the amount of reused accessories and clothing on a Sideshow GI Joe, and prices increasing toward $200 for what really amounts to a headsculpt or two, and a couple new accessories I have to take pause.

Yes, I'm exaggerating, but I think you all see my point. :)

I really feel like I'm getting a lot more bang for my buck with Masterpiece Transformers, or something like the SH Figuarts Power Rangers.

Can someone help me sort out the 3rd party PredaKings? Is there a company doing them that the individual models would be considered fairly close to current MP scale? I see BBTS has one listed as "Biggest Predaking ever" but theres another company also making 3rd party models on there and they look very nice. Is it a 6 of one half a dozen of the other or what?

I just don't want to get into the situation like I did recently buying the Ruination guys, then reselling them because of their small stature.

Hot Toys is one thing... but when I see the amount of reused accessories and clothing on a Sideshow GI Joe, and prices increasing toward $200 for what really amounts to a headsculpt or two, and a couple new accessories I have to take pause.

Yes, I'm exaggerating, but I think you all see my point. :)

I really feel like I'm getting a lot more bang for my buck with Masterpiece Transformers, or something like the SH Figuarts Power Rangers.
Personally, I think you get what you pay for with Hot Toys. My only issue is that I don't give a **** for most of the stuff they pump out anymore. There's only so much Batman and Iron Man that I need in my collection. I agree about Sideshow though. Those Joes just aren't worth $150 in the majority of cases, much less $175-200 or whatever. The quality isn't always there, and the parts reuse you speak of seems pretty pervasive.

Personally, I think you get what you pay for with Hot Toys. My only issue is that I don't give a **** for most of the stuff they pump out anymore. There's only so much Batman and Iron Man that I need in my collection. I agree about Sideshow though. Those Joes just aren't worth $150 in the majority of cases, much less $175-200 or whatever. The quality isn't always there, and the parts reuse you speak of seems pretty pervasive.

At least they're recolored....usually. :wink1:

Wait, whose glove was this? :lol

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

I miss the days when it felt like anything was possible with Hot Toys... When they were doing stuff like Don Corleone, Leonidas or Platoon.

If they announced an Arnie Conan or the Matrix, I might have to get them, but Jesus Christ, what kind of people are buying every single Iron Man variant out there? It's nuts!

Funny thing is, they do announce great stuff that I would love--Back to the Future, Rocky DX, more Terminator 1 stuff--but it just never pans out, because their priorities are clearly elsewhere.

Hi guys. Sorry to go slightly off topic (figures) but I have two 1987 transformers comics that I have sinse a kid and wondering if they are worth anything?
y9y8uryb.jpg
6aruhetu.jpg

I do have two figures that I have and wondered if there worth anything too. They are both complete.
uby9ape6.jpg
epupe3ah.jpg

Cheers

Bri

It took a bit of finetuning but I managed to get a nice balance between Transformers and Hot Toys eg,

Transformers
Takara Masterpieces & the occasional 3rd party release that will fit in.

Hot Toys
Mainly Marvel characters but I'm not a completist ie I don't need every Iron Man armor or every variant costume of characters like Captain America and Thor.

As far as TF's go I'm pretty content whilst the quality of the lines I collect remains where it is. Masterpieces have never been so good and 3rd parties like Fans Toys are stepping up and in some ways beating Takara at their own game.

I get why people are getting bored of HT as if you don't like superheroes there's not really much else to choose from at the moment but as long as I get Rocket Raccoon and Groot from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie I'm not going to give them too much flak.

Hi guys. Sorry to go slightly off topic (figures) but I have two 1987 transformers comics that I have sinse a kid and wondering if they are worth anything?
I do have two figures that I have and wondered if there worth anything too. They are both complete.

Cheers

Bri

Hybrid Convoy is pretty good, prices vary though.

Hey Bri, the market for comics is pretty poor these days, and those seem to be in pretty rough condition... Sorry to say, but I doubt they're worth more than a buck. Maybe less. :(

I'd just hold onto them for nostalgia's sake if I were you.

Back