After talking with Sideshow...QC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I now know without a doubt on my end, one of my returns to SSC was exchanged with a forum members return. It is my belief. The member had added weathering and modded some aspects of the piece. I have comparison shots to their image posts here, showing the pieces are identical down to how the cloth tears on the robes. Mike told me the returns department guaranteed him they had pulled a factory blank for my exchange. Somebody is not telling the truth, or is misinformed (could be me I guess).

So, I'm 100% certain, as others have suggested, that SSC does exchange returns with other returns. I'm really disappointed with this, as there are no more left to exchange with me, so I now have to keep a modded return or get a refund and miss out on this piece I had reserved months ago when it came out on the newsletter for preorder. It's going to be very difficult for me to buy from Sideshow again. I've just had too many very unpleasant experiences with them. Factory changes or not, I think it's time to cut the cord to them.

Last edited:
I know this is the place for asking questions, but I really don't know where else to put this. So, I hope the mods will allow this slight breech of protocol in sharing this here, even if they choose to lock it.

I've had some issues with several Sideshow pieces lately, and compiled pictures of all the factory issues/defects for several recent purchases, detailing the problems and emailed that all to Sideshow with a candid yet respectful message about my disappointment over their quality control. I think quite a few of us here can relate quite well to my frustrations. Rather quickly my message ended up in the hands of Mike Tolentino (customer service manager) who has been compassionately addressing my complaints, for which I am thankful to him. He told me anything he has said to me during our discussions, is welcome to be shared here, with you all. To those ends, I suspect this update may be of interest to folks here.

It turns out Sideshow is very aware of quality control issues in recent months over many of their pieces. To quote Mike, he told me they've had "a real eye opener the last couple of months" in particular on a few items. To address the issues, they have sent representatives to their overseas factories to walk the factory floor and work with the manufacturer to improve quality to Sideshow's standards. He also told me the pictures we are asked to send them when returning the item are used to show the factory the sort of defects that are getting through, in the expectation they will address them. It's not hard to imagine the expense Sideshow incurs to exchange/return these items, and they document these plus inventory expenses, and regularly send the factory reports on the cost of quality issues that make it through quality control. So, if you were not aware of it, it appears Sideshow is closely monitoring quality issues and using our feedback to minimize them. So, we need to make sure we report quality issues, I'd say even if we elect to forgo the exchange process. It will only help them give us the level of quality the cost of these pieces demands.

Mike also said while pieces that are currently shipping or will be shipping will not reflect any factory changes, anything currently in production should ship to us with the benefit of any manufacturing changes currently being implemented.

While none of this changes the time and frustration I've spent over a number of Sideshow items, my customer service experience with Sideshow has been pretty positive. Here's hoping their efforts overseas pay off and we can put many of these issues behind us.

I hope this was somewhat informative to you all! Thanks ahead of time to Darklord Dave for not "Expelliarmus" (cause of his avatar ya know) me for the non question post.

:rotfl.......SS wont change. Even if they get a "little" better, the quality will always be horrible at their level now. QC has no place to go but down from here on. Cut your losses now and get out of collecting SS. Current and future pieces will never be worth what past pieces are from their humble beginnings. Back then they HAD to care about QC, thats what put them on the map. Thats how they got the publics attention. None of that matters anymore...

Bottom line, just save your cash.

Chris

:rotfl.......SS wont change. Even if they get a "little" better, the quality will always be horrible at their level now. QC has no place to go but down from here on. Cut your losses now and get out of collecting SS. Current and future pieces will never be worth what past pieces are from their humble beginnings. Back then they HAD to care about QC, thats what put them on the map. Thats how they got the publics attention. None of that matters anymore...

Bottom line, just save your cash.

Chris

roflbot-ENkh.jpg

I feel that Tolentino's response has a good deal of truth and good intent behind it. SS is dealing with the same thing that almost every producer of collectibles is dealing with now - a very discernible drop in the quality of items coming out of China's factories. Even the items that my mother and her friends collect (figurines, etc.) are seeing this.

I dont think theyre doing anything about it at all.
I dont think they care about the increasing returns. THe lower sales. The mounting complaints. The rising prices. And the general downward spiral of the company. THeyre riding that sinking ship like a bucking bronco waving their cowboy hats and enjoying the good ride... "yee HAAAWW!!!! .... ____ em! I dont need no job next year!!"

Id love to see people's pictures of QC issues.. I know I have quite the set that I have sent sideshow in the past for returns/replacements

I can't speak to their telling you it wasn't a return if it was, but from the evidence I've seen it does seem that Sideshow sends returns to others. But the nice thing is that those folks can always return them if they aren't satisfied, and many are probably very satisfied with getting a statue that someone else was not satisfied with. When that happens, Sideshow wins, and the customers win.

Still, they should disclose to you that they are sending you a returned item. Hoping that the customer won't notice is dishonest.

I can't speak to their telling you it wasn't a return if it was, but from the evidence I've seen it does seem that Sideshow sends returns to others. But the nice thing is that those folks can always return them if they aren't satisfied, and many are probably very satisfied with getting a statue that someone else was not satisfied with. When that happens, Sideshow wins, and the customers win.

You're right. But, I think they should tell the customer when that's the case. I wouldn't be nearly as frustrated about this particular issue if I was allowed to be an informed consumer. And, maybe it has a lot to do with personal preference. For my money, this can easily become a trust issue if the company doesn't seem to be dealing straight with me.

In this case, I keep being told this is not the forum members return, when I've got picture after picture showing it is. SSC says they go look at their collection to see their's and find everything I show them. I go to other forum members posts showing theirs, and find none of what I see exactly in the same spot as the one I have. Rather than admit it, SSC continues to say "nah, that's on all of them". What I see says otherwise. It's turned into a pointless debate. I have the return option, or keep this one. That's the bottom line of what they've offered. Past that, they can keep telling me I'm seeing things all day long and we get nowhere. I still control my wallet, and that will speak for me going forward. They have a generous return policy. But, they just can't seem to deliver on the rest.

Last edited:
:rotfl.......SS wont change. Even if they get a "little" better, the quality will always be horrible at their level now.

Their general quality isn't horrible. They just like to send you their crappiest pieces. Can't say I blame them.

Give it up man, im not attracted to you :wave

Chris

You can't tell the difference between being hit on and being spit on, huh?

Their general quality isn't horrible. They just like to send you their crappiest pieces. Can't say I blame them.

You can't tell the difference between being hit on and being spit on, huh?

Sounded like he was doing both in all honesty :dunno

Cant understand why SS would favour you over me though....my credit card has never been declined.

Chris

We're leaving this thread open, but rude comments and images will be deleted.

Everyone has a different experience, and some people will be impossible to please no matter what.

I'd suggest if your plan is to never collect SSC product ever again, this forum isn't the place for you.

Back