A very very unhappy Sideshow customer!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
show73 said:
They also told my Brother that if he posted any of this info on the message boards that he would be banned from those as well.

headscratch.gif

Re: Account identity issues

During Show73's phone conversation with our CS department, he ranted that he and his family were big message boarders and that we would 'regret this', as he was going to post and rant all about it publically. Funny how that was not mentione din his post. At no time was he told 'not to post his grievances.' It is his right, just as it is ours to post a reply.

What has not been made clear is that the Grey Hulk diorama subject and the account difficulties are actually two seperate issues. A credit was extended to the account holder who ordered the item, that could not be fulfilled. It was in following up on that offer, that an account issue came to light.

Ultimately the issue is an identity fraud concern flagged for the account in question. When we contacted the user to verify their identity, in order to insure that credit card theft was not taking place, we were contacted by a person other then the account holder by phone. When we were contacted again through e-mail about this account it was from second, different person other the account holder. When we were contacted a third time by phone, it was by original individual who phoned earlier, now supplying a different name.

The simple matter is there are too many people contacting us about an account, not in their name, which draws a BIG FLAG up for us. Proof of identity of the account holder, as we requested, was not supplied, which has caused us to close the account.

The second account was flagged because during the phone conversation about the first account in question, it was indicated that there may be access or use by someone other then the account holder for the second account. We simply asked, as in the first case, to run an identity check to be sure who it is we are dealing with.

I was present for the phone conversation that took place with our rep Erin, the description posted is a bit skewed. I was also present with the call to our CS Manager and heard the client screaming through the phone, which is completely unacceptable no matter the circumstances.

I apologize if some collectors do find our policies a bit restrictive or not main stream. We have very simple account rules in place that are meant to avoid messes such as the one posted: Only one account per person. Account holders must use a credit card registered in their name as well as ship to themselves. We also can only discuss the account with the account holder. All of these help us to maintain account security and the final delivery of limited edition items to the appropriate parties.

It is not our intention to frustrate any of our clients. We will work with them to reach resolutions towards many issues that arise with their accounts and orders. We provide civility during this process and expect it in return, otherwise we reserve the right to continue conversations when a reasonable one can be had by all parties involved.

As always, I look forward to feedback on this topic as well as others within this board. It is my hope that as long as the posts are civil, the board manager will not have to remove the thread for any posting policy violations.

Regards,
Chicky
Sideshow Collectibles

Chicky said:
I apologize if some collectors do find our policies a bit restrictive or not main stream. We have very simple account rules in place that are meant to avoid messes such as the one posted: Only one account per person. Account holders must use a credit card registered in their name as well as ship to themselves. We also can only discuss the account with the account holder. All of these help us to maintain account security and the final delivery of limited edition items to the appropriate parties.

It is not our intention to frustrate any of our clients. We will work with them to reach resolutions towards many issues that arise with their accounts and orders. We provide civility during this process and expect it in return, otherwise we reserve the right to continue conversations when a reasonable one can be had by all parties involved.

As always, I look forward to feedback on this topic as well as others within this board. It is my hope that as long as the posts are civil, the board manager will not have to remove the thread for any posting policy violations.

Regards,
Chicky
Sideshow Collectibles

Well, Chicky...I appreciate your reply in regards to this matter and it does clear things up but SS's rules do need some rethinking and a line should not be drawn in the sand as regards to their policy. Take my case for instance, a clear history regarding my account status and order history. Just because I move in with someone else who collects, should not disinfranchise me from ordering exclusives, especially since #1 I have a clear and separate history from my brother and #2 I have my own account with a CC number. I understand the policy but like I explained to the CS representative, it is clear that I am a different person and I am a long standing collector. These can be easily ascertained from SS records. It makes no sense to me. Oh well, thanks for the post. I agree that disrespect to one of your employees should not be tolerated but your employees should also treat consumers with respect and concern, especially if there concerns are vaild.

Cheers,

Brad

Last edited:
Chicky,

Im just wondering why his Grey Hulk was cancelled when his order was in way before it sold out??? Since his order was in, shouldn't you ship in order they came in?

Just curious:confused:

drbrad1975 said:
Well, Chicky...I appreciate your reply in regards to this matter and it does clear things up but SS's rules do need some rethinking and a line should not be drawn in the sand as regards to their policy. Take my case for instance, a clear history regarding my account status and order history. Just because I move in with someone else who collects, should not disinfranchise me from ordering exclusives, especially since #1 I have a clear and separate history from my brother and #2 I have my own account with a CC number. I understand the policy but like I explained to the CS representative, it is clear that I am a different person and I am a long standing collector. These can be easily ascertained from SS records. It makes no sense to me. Oh well, thanks for the post. I agree that disrespect to one of your employees is should not be tolerated but your employees should also treat consumers with respect and concern, especially if there concerns are vaild.

Cheers,

Brad

I do agree that there needs to be some exceptions to the rule. I can think of two examples right now that would apply to me:

1) My wife finally joined me in SW collecting but is focusing on Yoda. Whenever SSC does a 1/6 Yoda, I'm sure that BOTH of us will want our own exclusive edition Yodas. But we obviously have the same billing/shipping address.

2) My wife and I are friends with old schoolmate of hers and her 12 year old son who is a huge SW fan (thanks to me). I'd love to get him a Darth Maul 1/6 figure for Christmas, but I can't try to get him the inclusive edition thru the Wait List (which I know he'd love) because I have one already on order for myself. In this case, I would be buying two, but one's a gift for a very responsible young fan. Doesn't seem right.

Still, I do appreciate SSC's attempts to keep our accounts and information secure.

Well, that is about what you can expect from SSC, experienced professionals providing extraordinary service. They all did their jobs as per the terms of the account holder, stood their ground despite the difficulties and protected the cardholder.

And despite all that, extended a $75 credit which to me is above and beyond reasonable and generous. I'm sorry this ended the way it did and a loyal and I'm sure honorable SSC customer felt slighted, but knowing the rules, you really have to understand the pressures the SSC CS staff have to deal with on a day to day basis and know they have limits too.

Unfortunately there are too many scammers who buy this stuff up, using family members, only to profit from it and that, as is in life, is unfair to the rest of us...

DRBrad,

Thanks for your post about our 'Ordering limit policy'. This does infact effect collectors in those few and far between circumstances such as yourself. We are currently looking at this policy so that it can include those caught in these circumstances as well as protect the limit so as many collectors can participate within an edition. Please PM your information, so that I may investigate it further for you and contact you if there is updated news.

Best,
Chicky

Ordering limit policy:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=ORD&item=ORD2000

User account policy:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=OUA&item=OUA0910

pjam said:
Well, that is about what you can expect from SSC, experienced professionals providing extraordinary service. They all did their jobs as per the terms of the account holder, stood their ground despite the difficulties and protected the cardholder.

And despite all that, extended a $75 credit which to me is above and beyond reasonable and generous. I'm sorry this ended the way it did and a loyal and I'm sure honorable SSC customer felt slighted, but knowing the rules, you really have to understand the pressures the SSC CS staff have to deal with on a day to day basis and know they have limits too.

Unfortunately there are too many scammers who buy this stuff up, using family members, only to profit from it and that, as is in life, is unfair to the rest of us...

Well stated..

As long as the comments in here stay civil this thread won't be locked.
Thanks to Chicky for taking the time out to answer questions and tell the other side of the story.

drbrad1975 said:
I'm definitely not trying to be judgmental here, but this is exactly why CS issue should stay off the board and be handled with CS directly.

I am not quite following. Message boards are for both celebrating and uttering disappointments in my opinion. Every voice has a right to be heard. If you can't post about CS issues, then you shouldn't be able to post the positives either. You have to have balance, ying and yang, ie they both go hand in hand. It makes discussion much more meaningful and helpful. This forum gives the consumer a place to celebrate, explore, and vent about this wonderful hobby. If you start censoring it, you take away a vital piece of the puzzle. It's censorship and that to me is most upsetting. I am not perfect. If a patient is dissatisfied with my performance, I WANT to know. That's the only way that I can improve. Heck, I learn MORE from my mistakes, and I take great pride in what I do and how I do it. I hope SS feels the same way.

Cheers,

Brad[/QUOTE]

I am certainly not trying to advocate censorship of the boards. And I can certainly understand your example of wanting to know of any dissatisfactions from patients in order for you to improve. I feel exactly the same way, I am very concerned that all of my patients are satisfied and if for some reason they are not I want to know what the problem is so I can work it out and try to improve. Apparently the difference is that I prefer to handles these things one on one with the patient and going through the proper channels.

Again, I don't think issue's like this have a place on the board and keep in mind that is only my opinion. I have formed this opinion by watching many of the threads degrade into one sided name calling and not become productive. Yes the is a collectors community and we are here to help and support each other. If someone needs help or advice on how to proceed then they post asking for that information. That was not the case here however, where the original post took the tone of a simple rant.

I can also understand your argument that if no one posts about bad experiences then no one should post about good experiences. Fair is fair, the problem however is that everyone is anxious to post the bad things, but few remember to praise the good things. Maybe because we just expect the good things to be normal.

BTW Sith Lord 0498 I can certainly understand your frustion with your second example. Both of my boys are huge Maul fans. Well I certainly couldn't order 3 inclusive editions so I have 1 inclusive and 2 regulars on order.

I find it unfortunate that members would try to use the possibility of bad publicity on the forums as leverage in a customer service dispute.

I'm glad Chicky took the time to clear it up in public, although she certainly didn't have to and takes her away from actually dealing with customer service issues for other people.

I'm also sorry that Show and his brother was frustrated by the financial security issues - anyone who has dealt with Paypal knows how hard it can be to prove who you say you are.

And I just want to reiterate what others have said - the forum isn't connected to Sideshow. Most of the forum members know that and all of the SSC customer service personnel know that. So unless there's personal information revealed, abusive language or other violation of the forum rules, posts that are critical of SSC won't be deleted.

Chicky said:
During Show73's phone conversation with our CS department, he ranted that he and his family were big message boarders and that we would 'regret this', as he was going to post and rant all about it publically. Funny how that was not mentione din his post. At no time was he told 'not to post his grievances.' It is his right, just as it is ours to post a reply.

Thanks for replying Chicky but please get your own facts straight as I can say that there was absolutely no yelling or threatening "you would regret this" from me.
My little brother I might believe, but remember that when my Mom passed him the phone Dawn refused to talk directly with him. You were talking to my mother and he was talking loudly so you could hear him even though you refused to talk to him. Fair enough not his account but you guys knew this and were OK with it in the past. This is where the Frustration comes from, try to see it from his side, not only does he not get his gray hulk VS that was in 20 minutes before sell out but he also loses his $75 dollar credit because Dawn does not not Know Pat is short for Patricia!!!

Chicky said:
Ultimately the issue is an identity fraud concern flagged for the account in question. When we contacted the user to verify their identity, in order to insure that credit card theft was not taking place, we were contacted by a person other then the account holder by phone. When we were contacted again through e-mail about this account it was from second, different person other the account holder. When we were contacted a third time by phone, it was by original individual who phoned earlier, now supplying a different name.

1.First phone call : Why was my Gray Hulk Cancelled? What is the name on the account sir? Pat (Because that is her name) We do not have a Pat we have a Patricia and obviously you are not her.
(It is at this point that they accuse my little brother of trying to pass his self off as Pat which is just silly as far as I am concerned, there is NO 3rd person)
Yes that is my Mom. I really should be cancelling this account but if your Mom sends in .........

2.e-mail from brothers hotmail account - still the same person (No 3rd party involved at all)

3.Second phone call - Mom phones because she is account holder, tries to hand phone to my brother but Sideshow refuses to talk to him.

Just admit that Dawn made a mistake accusing my Brother of trying to say his name was Pat, that is where this whole thing turned methinks. There is no 3rd person trying to access the account so please just admit it!

Chicky said:
The simple matter is there are too many people contacting us about an account, not in their name, which draws a BIG FLAG up for us. Proof of identity of the account holder, as we requested, was not supplied, which has caused us to close the account.

He was told he could mail it in, how do you expect him to get photocopies made and a letter mailed out to arrive within 24 hours??

Chicky said:
I was present for the phone conversation that took place with our rep Erin, the description posted is a bit skewed. I was also present with the call to our CS Manager and heard the client screaming through the phone, which is completely unacceptable no matter the circumstances.

My conversation with Erin skewed, which part please?
My brother having to talk loud enough for you to hear because you would not take the phone?

Chicky said:

Two people two addresses, he was following exactly what Dawn told him to do.

Chicky said:

I was very offended and Erin's laugh sent me over the edge to rant on the board, there was no yelling from me at all as I hope Erin would admit, she did LIE to me about the shipping order simple FACT. being lied to and laughed at is not truly very civil in my books!

Chicky said:

Allthough we obviously do not see eye to eye I am glad you replied to my post.

Last edited:
I am certainly not trying to advocate censorship of the boards. And I can certainly understand your example of wanting to know of any dissatisfactions from patients in order for you to improve. I feel exactly the same way, I am very concerned that all of my patients are satisfied and if for some reason they are not I want to know what the problem is so I can work it out and try to improve. Apparently the difference is that I prefer to handles these things one on one with the patient and going through the proper channels.

I can also understand your argument that if no one posts about bad experiences then no one should post about good experiences. Fair is fair, the problem however is that everyone is anxious to post the bad things, but few remember to praise the good things. Maybe because we just expect the good things to be normal.

I agree with you but this collector did speak with a CS rep. I don't know the exact circumstances and I agree his tone was very aggressive. That does tend to happen when people get upset. You can't please everyone, and I understand that. You wouldn't begin to imagine how many write-offs I have to do everyday just to cover other doctor's treatments that #1 I deem unsatisfactory or #2 the patient deems unsatisfactory. I haven't been there long enough for something that I have done to come back but I am sure it will happen. And I loose money on this!! Lots of it!!! To me, patient treatment comes first. Sure, there have been times when I didn't agree with the patient and had to refer them to someone else who would be better suited to their desires. But trust me, I tried to appease them. Like I said, you can not please everyone. I am sure SS fields complaints everyday and good customers get locked into the middle of this. However, I read about the good things SS does everyday, such as sending new boxes for those that are damaged. When I ordered my Kurgan from them, they sent me a free Twighlight Zone 12" figure. I had no idea who he was, and I didn't really desire him. I gave him to another collector who did. But I was shocked and I appreciated it. I even posted it on this board. I didn't even voice my complaint regarding this issue when it happened. I was frustrated at the time and I resented it a bit. But I didn't say anything...I just chalked it up to another CS experience that didn't go my way even though I felt like I wasn't being unreasonable and that I was right....but oh well. I did PM Chicky with information and we will see what happens. I still love SS 12" action-figures and I will collect them for as long as they make good products. I just may have to procure them through other means. I have something like 10 or more figures on order with them now. Overall, I agree....they are a great company.

Cheers,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be (and sort of still am) in a customer service-type position, and I've never taken well to being shouted at. I end conversations when the yelling starts. I refuse to talk to somone who can't express themselves without abusive volume.

Dusty thanks for clearing that up.

I've learned that you have to hear both sides, and sometimes a third side, of an argument before you take a side.

For the record, I've talked to Dawn and Erin about SC issues and both were VERY helpful and nice. All of my problems were taken care of quickly. :bow :bow :bow

I have only bought once directly with SS directly whereas the rest is through my LCS. Even though am from the other half of world at Asia, the CS was helpful and transaction was a breeze.
I may be one of many who encountered good CS with SS an sorry to hear that there are issues which may crop out due to strict SS CS. Hope the problems are resolved for all and lets not let our passion dampens after a long history of good encounters.:D

Just as in typing a post, where emotions can be hard to determine, so it is with a telephone conversation. Things can be misconstrued.

Handing the phone over to someone isn't a solution. Both parties could be anybody or in cahoots. The laughing could even be outside of the converstion. Something funny may have happened at the other end. What I'm getting at is there are so many scenarios, possibilities and unknowns. Things can get complicated. I think we can all benefit from this experience, though that benefit may not be clear to all of us.

It is easier to work things out face to face. In the future we may all have video conferencing, where all conversations are digitally recorded, and face recognition and thumb and iris checks can be made on the spot. Technology can aid and hinder. What is an aid to some can also be a hindrance to others.

We can all do with some understanding.

Customikey said:
I used to be (and sort of still am) in a customer service-type position, and I've never taken well to being shouted at. I end conversations when the yelling starts. I refuse to talk to somone who can't express themselves without abusive volume.

I worked on a both a help desk and in sales and the company's official policy was if there was shouting or abuse we were aloud to state that the person was being unacceptably aggressive and would resolve their issue when they were ready to work with us - and then we were good to hang up.

Chicky said:
DRBrad,

Thanks for your post about our 'Ordering limit policy'. This does infact effect collectors in those few and far between circumstances such as yourself. We are currently looking at this policy so that it can include those caught in these circumstances as well as protect the limit so as many collectors can participate within an edition. Please PM your information, so that I may investigate it further for you and contact you if there is updated news.

Best,
Chicky

Ordering limit policy:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=ORD&item=ORD2000

User account policy:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=OUA&item=OUA0910

Thanks for all your replies Chicky and Dusty. I've only had one "not so good" CS experience but all my other experiences were great. Maybe the rep or myself was just having a bad day on that particular day.

Anyway, I wanted to add to what others have said about item limits. For years, I have always bought two of each Buffy line figure that was available. I actually needed three and would end up hunting for one on Ebay. I was collecting for myself and my two daughters. Eventually it was just me and one daughter so being able to get two was no problem. Lately, every Buffy/Angel line figure that is released is usually limited to "one" per household and listed as an "exclusive" to Sideshow's site and I find that very disappointing.

For me, it's because another member of my family wants one. And some collectors like to open one up and keep one packed away.

Back