A Hot Toys rant to us consumers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollandX

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just read over the last two pages of the T1 T-800 page, and I take issue with some comments like "people need to stop complaining so Hot Toys can rush this figure out," "who cares about the high price, I'll pay anything" and "we need to be quiet and just be thankful we're getting this."

I'm not criticizing you, because I know how excited you are for this figure. I am, too! It's been a long wait for such amazing high quality replicas. I just want to try to bring in some perspective.

Do not forget that Hot Toys needs to be thanking us for buying these figures. Do not lose sight of who is the customer here. With that, do not become quiet with the nitpicks, changes, wishes, etc.

These figures are based on sculpts, tailoring, and accessories can always be improved. We need to let Hot Toys know (respectfully) what can be improved on a figure between the teaser shots and production.

The Arnold face should thinner and longer. That's a fact that would improve this figure. In a year from now, you won't care that you waited an extra week for this figure so it could be fine tooled before it becomes forever.

The day Hot Toys becomes complacent will be a sad day for the hobby. I witnessed it first hand with McFarlane figures. Recently, the lack of innovation/originality, the poor sculpts, the messy paint jobs, and the rising prices killed that hobby. Back in their heyday I read the same comments "be quiet, don't complain, be thankful."

A respectful nitpick is never too small. Here are some examples of nitpicks I've seen fixed by Hot Toys because of our voices.

1.) Blade sculpt
2.) T-1000 sculpt (ears especially)
3.) Black shirt added to T-800 at no additional cost to us.
4.) Additional Leonidas sculpt added at no additional cost to us.
5.) Bird added to Falconer Predator at no additional cost to us.

We have a voice. When we stop respectfully nitpicking, the hobby will suffer. We need to stay on top of Hot Toys for the betterment of the hobby. It's our job.

Enterbay isn't sufficient competition these days. Hot Toys has no real competition. With no competition, there's less motivation to improve. We need to provide that motivation. Look at McFarlane today.

Many people (myself included) want a smirking sculpt added to the Hans Landa figure. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen at this point. A year ago, there's a strong chance it could have. We can't become quieter and more accepting of flaws because we want these figures so bad. Hot Toys needs to respectfully know that we are demanding as consumers, and constantly expect the bar to be raised.

On a small final note, I know it's easy to get lost in the quality and nostalgia and say "who cares what they charge, I'm buying it." It's fine to tell yourself that, but you don't need to post it. Don't encourage a precedent that could eventually price you out of the hobby.

Just my two cents.

:peace

On a small final note, I know it's easy to get lost in the quality and nostalgia and say "who cares what they charge, I'm buying it." It's fine to tell yourself that, but you don't need to post it. Don't encourage a precedent that could eventually price you out of the hobby.

Just my two cents.

:peace

Good post. This last part resonates with me. I remember SSC collectors spouting this "i'd pay $100 for that" type nonsense and sure enough SSC raises their prices and I now see the same people talking about how they had to sell off their old items to afford the new ones...

All good points. I remember being gutted the Blade sculpt wasn't spot on and then they tweaked it. What I would kill to see is more interaction with fans, more interviews, behind the scenes info, and more hints of upcoming licences. Really, really hoping they announce a Keaton Bat soon.

Good post. Constructive criticism (pointing out specific issues and making suggestions) is always a good thing. Ranting or saying "THIS FIGURE IS TEH SUXXOR" without offering anything useful is not a good thing. Customers should never be afraid to offer constructive criticism.

Well written. Very valid arguments. Note how they handled the dx02 saga, slipshod and irresponsible

The Arnold face should thinner and longer. That's a fact that would improve this figure. In a year from now, you won't care that you waited an extra week for this figure so it could be fine tooled before it becomes forever.

I posted my agreement with your rant in the T1 thread. But also this^ is what I've always said about the T2 sculpt and is probably true of the T1 head too. I think just longer would do, not making it thinner. The nose needs to be a tiny tiny bit longer so as to make the eyes further from the mouth. This would create the thinning effect while not actually making the head any thinner which would be wrong imo.

Excellent thread! :) I can see the value in the thread, as Hot Toys may look at collectors as "crybabies" without really nothing succinct to point out.

With that being said, I am hoping the HT Barney Ross release (which I already pre-ordered, in case you are reading, Hot Toys employee) needs:

- the addition of the knife (he killed 4 Vilena soldiers using that - I think it's pretty important to have in the boxed set)
- the addition of the lucky ring (he talked about it in the fight sequences with Jet Li, showed it to him and it was flashed several other times. It is iconic in terms of depicting Barney)
- The skull buttons on his wrist straps (minor details, but still noticeable)
- Nipples correction (it just doesn't look realistic - and Hot Toys is marketing their figures as 'close to real')
- Bulkier chest and/or abs (Stallone is much beefier than this)

:duff Thanks Hot Toys, for reading.

Wow, as if there weren't enough tittybaby "PHD in Screen accuracy and character likeness" wannabes destroying every HT thread in this forum. Now there's a thread by crybabies for crybabies attempting to justify the douchiness. You guys really need to see your doctors about prescribing you some prescription-strength stool softeners. If your bosses, teachers or in most cases, your parents critiqued you half as bad as you do HT, you pansies would be in the closet crying about how unfair life is and eating a gun barrel. :monkey1

The problem is, 90% of the negative comments are stupid hyperbolic rants from a bunch of spoiled brats or OCD collectors...
Yes, there's always room for improvement...
Yes, Hot Toys can always do better...
Yes, people like stuff accurate...

But you have to consider this... they have certain amount of $ allocated to a certain figure. License fees change from movie to movie... even if it's the same franchise, or even within the same movie depending on the character.
They can't always have 2 heads and a dozen accessories... each part needs tooling and molds, and maybe certain figures don't have enough on their budget to get those.

Also, certain things don't really translate well from Prototype to mass production, sometimes fabrics, tailoring or even paint apps will suffer from this... there's no way around it...

If people want premium figures, they have to pay premium prices... Hot Toys will add extra elements or fix details as long as production and budget allows it. The problem is they are taking the risk of being "bullied" by their costumers or even worse, losing money...

I'm really tired of all the stupid comments I see here lately... it's ridiculous!!!! :horror...
It's even worse in their Facebook page, some people just need to be whacked on the head and be reminded that these are TOYS... and this hobby, first and foremost is supposed to be FUN!!
Bitterness about the "wrong shade of silver on a gun" is both sad and pathetic IMO...

I'm sorry I agree with NAM, it's been TOOO MUCH lately to where I will not subscribed to any HT threads just because of this very reason.

It ruins the hobby for myself and always puts me in a bad/sad mood, I'd rather enjoy my collectibles and not know what the heck is accurate in non-accurate, there's much more to life.

thenammagazine: I'm speechless;))

Bro, I understand constructive criticism, but this ____ has gone well beyond that and all but ruined the Aliens & Robots boards and is seeping out like cancer into the General Collectibles and Videogame threads. Franky, it's 1000x worse than the Star Wars boards and the moderators really need to grow some testicles and address the ____ing issue.

Proof is just 2 posts up. Kuzeh and I are notorious for our disagreements. It's wholly ironic that here we both see eye to eye on this.

Wow, as if there weren't enough tittybaby "PHD in Screen accuracy and character likeness" wannabes destroying every HT thread in this forum. Now there's a thread by crybabies for crybabies attempting to justify the douchiness. You guys really need to see your doctors about prescribing you some prescription-strength stool softeners. If your bosses, teachers or in most cases, your parents critiqued you half as bad as you do HT, you pansies would be in the closet crying about how unfair life is and eating a gun barrel. :monkey1

Be careful man, I smell a majority here with this thread. The right wingers are gonna lose.

The problem is, 90% of the negative comments are stupid hyperbolic rants from a bunch of spoiled brats or OCD collectors...
Yes, there's always room for improvement...
Yes, Hot Toys can always do better...
Yes, people like stuff accurate...

But you have to consider this... they have certain amount of $ allocated to a certain figure. License fees change from movie to movie... even if it's the same franchise, or even within the same movie depending on the character.
They can't always have 2 heads and a dozen accessories... each part needs tooling and molds, and maybe certain figures don't have enough on their budget to get those.

Also, certain things don't really translate well from Prototype to mass production, sometimes fabrics, tailoring or even paint apps will suffer from this... there's no way around it...

If people want premium figures, they have to pay premium prices... Hot Toys will add extra elements or fix details as long as production and budget allows it. The problem is they are taking the risk of being "bullied" by their costumers or even worse, losing money...

I'm really tired of all the stupid comments I see here lately... it's ridiculous!!!! :horror...
It's even worse in their Facebook page, some people just need to be whacked on the head and be reminded that these are TOYS... and this hobby, first and foremost is supposed to be FUN!!
Bitterness about the "wrong shade of silver on a gun" is both sad and pathetic IMO...

:exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly::goodpost:

very good Holland, miss reading these kinds of posts over at Spawn Board.

Wow.. Who made you the lawyer of Hot Toys? Even calling other members names like "pansies" and "crybabies"..

Most members are still pre-ordering the figures, no matter what (updating it or not updating it), I know because I pre-ordered the Barney Ross as soon as it was announced in my local retailer. It's Hot Toys that is receiving feedback, not you.. Why are you so affected? Are you working for Hot Toys? :rotfl

Bro, I understand constructive criticism, but this ____ has gone well beyond that and all but ruined the Aliens & Robots boards and is seeping out like cancer into the General Collectibles and Videogame threads. Franky, it's 1000x worse than the Star Wars boards and the moderators really need to grow some testicles and address the ____ing issue.

NAM and myself are the BIGGEST Predator fans out there and you wouldn't even know it besides are sigs and avi's. :lecture

BTW... no offense but comparing Hot Toys with McToys is just hilarious :lol!! ... and sad!!!
This is one of the biggest problem I've seen here... all the teenage rejects from the Spawn Boards are now spilling their crap over here... :yuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back