A General Chat about Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what does everyone think about HT's recent dramatic increase in pricing that now exceeds Medicom levels?

Over a year ago, you could see the $200+ increase coming. I personally think its a joke and WAY too expesive. Look at the quality of figure that a company like DID puts out. They have amazing sculpts, lotta gear, and the clothing is as good as HT, yet theyre nowhere near the $200 mark. I know peeps will say well its the licensing, but to price a figure at $100 more than DID just for the licensing?

BUT as long as peeps pay,and i willl not, they will continue to raise the prices.

I agree. The folks at OSW can't believe that we movie/film fans are prepared to pay for figures that are pretty much on par with the best that military 1/6 has to offer. I can't see too many people staying loyal to Hot Toys now that they are regularly pushing past the $200 mark.

HT figures have increased their MSRP by around 20% in the past 12 months. Can anyone seriously imagine DX Bats going for $180 today? Or T2 Arnie for $150?

So long as HT nail every likeness and enjoy a relatively trouble-free run on QC, this will enough to keep most people quiet for a while. The second we see an Enterbay GoD-style mess with the QC, where just about every second collector has issues that warrant a straight out return of the figure to their seller, I think we'll be seeing a LOT of folks scampering off the HT ship. EB copped a lot of flak over that - and deservedly so - and HT are not immune from the same sort of frenzy if and when they find themselves in that boat.

I am already cutting down on my list of figures that only a few months ago I would've put down as 'must-haves'. Amber and Baby Doll need a serious revision before they are worth the MSRP IMO, and my finger is hovering over the cancel button if it's revealed they did sod all to fix up the mess of a sculpt that is DX Indy.

HT have some thinking to do about their escalating prices and the impact this has on peoples' expectations of their products and their willingness to buy them.

I am already cutting down on my list of figures that only a few months ago I would've put down as 'must-haves'. Amber and Baby Doll need a serious revision before they are worth the MSRP IMO, and my finger is hovering over the cancel button if it's revealed they did sod all to fix up the mess of a sculpt that is DX Indy.

i already canceled Indy :( it sucks that the prices are going up, and with HT nailing almost every sculpt they do they are basically setting the market price on accurate 1/6 figs.

Do you guys think any company out there will put HT out of business or make people stop buying HT and go else where?

Last edited:
I really don't think any company, at least not within the next few years, will be able to actually rival Hot Toys. They pretty much have complete and free control over the area of the 1/6 market that they specialize in.

The thing with Medicom is that they are in a way above all this. They have always just been quantity over quality and though they probably backed off of the American licenses since Hot Toys and Enterbay got bigger, they still freely pick and choose amongst random anime licenses and enjoy easy profits in the Japanese market.

Since Hot Toys is focusing on Japan now, they may eventually conflict wit Medicom simply because the anime licenses Hot Toys has worked with so far haven't sold all that well, to my understanding, so they will probably have to start trying to grab some bigger licenses or more recent ones. I think how Medicom might play into the grand scheme of things will all depend on how well the City Hunter figures do. If they do very well then that may tell Hot Toys to try to keep the price range of their Japanese-specific figures to that 150-170 area and proceed with more anime licenses. That may put some pressure on Medicom.

Don't you hate it when people come and mess around with your Hot Toys and playing around with them like there just "regular" toys that they buy at Target. One of my co workers came and start messing around with my Hot Toys IM and BL. I was about to slap her ass.

Yeah there definitely got to be behind glass but even still that don't stop some people handling. I remember having a BBQ & one my friends who took his mate along. The cheecky ____er came down with T2 to show everyone. I didn't even know him

Yeah there definitely got to be behind glass but even still that don't stop some people handling. I remember having a BBQ & one my friends who took his mate along. The cheecky ____er came down with T2 to show everyone. I didn't even know him

did u B*tched him out? I would of kicked him out my house!!

You can always add a lock to your Detolf. I did that to prevent my nieces and nephews from messing around with the collection. :)

Don't you hate it when people come and mess around with your Hot Toys and playing around with them like there just "regular" toys that they buy at Target. One of my co workers came and start messing around with my Hot Toys IM and BL. I was about to slap her ass.

I told my two nephews that they are not toys but statues made of glass. Luckily they are still young enough to believe it.

I told my two nephews that they are not toys but statues made of glass. Luckily they are still young enough to believe it.

I told my nephews I'd castrate them with a butter knife if they touched my toys. Luckily they are old enough to believe it.

I hate it when people can't keep their hands of my HT figs! :mad:

I have them displayed on a shelf, nice and high, because I don't have room for a Detolf or other cabinet... Anyway, some of my friends think it's ok to feel the fabric of the figures' clothes with their greasy fingers :gah:

Even worse, some of them even take a fig of the shelf for closer inspection...

Most of the time when they come up to my room, I tell them to treat the place like a museum... No touching the exhibits and no flash photography :lol

I hate it when people can't keep their hands of my HT figs! :mad:

I have them displayed on a shelf, nice and high, because I don't have room for a Detolf or other cabinet... Anyway, some of my friends think it's ok to feel the fabric of the figures' clothes with their greasy fingers :gah:

Even worse, some of them even take a fig of the shelf for closer inspection...

Most of the time when they come up to my room, I tell them to treat the place like a museum... No touching the exhibits and no flash photography :lol

GET A DETOLF :lecture:lecture:lecture

I'd imagine people would be more inclined not to touch your figures if they were behind glass.

Edit: Nevermind just read Angels post.

Some possible update on HT Robocop, from HTC

253237_190776294317702_138228759572456_543714_6279881_n.jpg

Back