A Conversation with Filmmaker/Composer JOHN OTTMAN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
In addition to his work as a director, producer and editor, John is one of the most talented and versatile composers working today, having scored such films as X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, THE USUAL SUSPECTS, NON STOP, THE FANTASTIC FOUR, HALLOWEEN H20 and SUPERMAN RETURNS.

In this first part (of a two-part conversation,) John and I discuss his life and early career.

John is one of the most genuine people you could meet, and gets real about working with Bryan Singer and his thoughts on big, franchise films.

Pretty cool, any chance you will be interviewing more composers? I love film scores but Ottman has honestly never really impressed me, his X2 and Superman Returns were good but not great. Unfortunately a lot of movies these days just don't have that memorable of scores or even a main theme.

Last edited:
I didn't know he was so much more involved in moviemaking than just as a composer. For an unplanned career he sure is good at writing film music. Please be sure to post the next part. I'm interested in what he says about Superman Returns in particular, very good score.

Thanks! John certainly gets real when it comes to SUPERMAN RETURNS, and especially the FANTASTIC FOUR films. The show is produced one episode at a time, but there are some interesting people I'm pushing for...

Love his interviews on the Usual Suspects dvd, especially where he discusses the trailer the studio made before he had a chance to cut one.

Finally, here is the EXCITING conclusion to my conversation with legendary composer and filmmaker, JOHN OTTMAN
In this episode, John digs deep to talk SUPERMAN RETURNS, the FANTASTIC FOUR films and X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, as well as his job on the upcoming X-MEN: APOCALYPSE, and the alternate ROGUE CUT of DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.

Back