elstree 1976 star wars documentary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIBBY1957DOG

Super Freak
Reaction score
full disclosure ive no interest or connection to star wars at all ,saw them back in the day and thats about it,so i don't know if this is old news or widely known ,and i found this film totally by title alone ,hoping it was going to be about the golden years of british film lol ,but it was fascinating ,ive had a connection with the memorabilia circuit since the late 1980s ,back when the "talent "was a added bonus not the sole focus ,but this film highlights the rise of the background artist as a convention staple ,and the delusion ,jealousy and bitterness that exists in some of their minds ,sad facts like prowse being barred from some disney star wars events,and some great stories of people just happy with their lot in life ,anyway a great watch for anyone fan or not

Because these people were a part of something beloved, fans assume—and some of the actors themselves wish—that they’ve had remarkable lives and careers. Instead, the reality for many of Star Wars’ bit players has been far more mundane, although at least that one key credit has allowed them to make a little extra cash and enjoy some rosy nostalgia on the convention circuit.

Aside from the making-of material, Elstree 1976’s strongest pieces involve the conventions, where a hierarchy has developed even among Star Wars’ small-timers. Actors with speaking parts resent sharing space (and appearance fees) with extras. And everyone’s annoyed that the longest lines tend to be for the people whose performances were almost imperceptible under their rubber masks and tin helmets. Even David Prowse—the man under the dark suit and helmet, and by far Spira’s biggest get—has some gripes with the way he’s been treated on the circuit, though only because he says Lucasfilm has barred him from some of the bigger events for signing his autograph, “David Prowse is Darth Vader.”

Visually, Elstree 1976 is often striking, thanks to some haunting extreme close-ups of these actors’ Star Wars action figures, as well as what appears to be a deliberate attempt to match the grain in the old movie footage with the style of the new interviews. The film looks handsome throughout, and in a way that connects the subjects’ current lives with their most famous gig. It all adds to the idea that Star Wars was both the best and the worst thing to happen to its low-level supporting cast.

Still, it’s hard not to wish that Elstree 1976 was weighted more toward “What was it like to make Star Wars?” and less toward “What’s it like to be an aging out-of-work character actor?” Plus, given how much much some of these people dispute each other’s claims to being a part of the Star Wars legacy, it’s a shame that Spira didn’t put them in the same room to argue it all out. Perhaps those scenes will come in the sequel, where all the participants gather once again to talk about the experience of being in Elstree 1976.

it was just like another job but we looked wierd
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4558042/

Spira maintains a warmly affectionate tone throughout, showing commendable restraint given that some of his interviewees would fit right into Extras, the Ricky Gervais TV comedy about the mundane world of bit-part players. Indeed, one of his recurring interviewees, Derek Lyons, looks and sounds uncannily like a Gervais creation with his rambling ruminations on life, the universe and “Zen swimming.” The farce is strong with this one.

The film’s star interviewee is Darth Vader himself, David Prowse, who traded a weightlifting career to work as an actor for major directors including Stanley Kubrick and Terry Gilliam. But after hanging up his lightsaber, Prowse fell out with George Lucas over multiple issues, including claims that he was never paid his pre-agreed profit share. Now banned from attending official fan conventions, his colorful life story merits its own full-length documentary instead of this frustratingly brief snippet.

Last edited:
Caught this on netflix... probably the worst doc I've ever seen, and I tend to love behind the scenes documentaries. There was really no reason to make this waste of time.

Don't bother with this one Star Wars fans.

Caught this on netflix... probably the worst doc I've ever seen, and I tend to love behind the scenes documentaries. There was really no reason to make this waste of time.

I saw similar reactions elsewhere - the general consensus seems to be "You might think you want to see everything related to the OT - you are wrong."

[ "You might think you want to see everything related to the OT - you are wrong./QUOTE]

sorry you guys didnt enjoy it ,see that could be the thing ,im not a star wars fan ,and they are just old movies to me ,i found the historical context interesting ,the haphazard method of cast recruitment and that it was just a small movie that became a cultural and financial behemoth ,and some of the participants ,arguably all except harrison ford ,would never work so high profile again and the "little people" even dave prowse who from main villain of iconic status was relegated to little more than a glorified walking clothes horse ,understandably i suppose when you hear his natural speaking voice and delivery lol ,have tried to through financial and ego driven necessity to hang on to the golden ticket of fame by association ,a bit like seeing the beatles at the cavern back in the early 60s or the sex pistols first gig and wishing you'd have taken better care of the ticket stub and recordings you made back then lol

Back