12" Universal Monsters Redux?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be awesome! I love Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

I hope they do remakes. I particularily want a better Lugosi Dracula.

Yes, Yes, Yes... I've been waiting for Abbott and Costello as Chick and Wilbur in their delivery uniforms forever. Accessories could include candle and holder, the legends of Dracula and Frankenstein posters, and some hammers and crowbars and maybe a head from one of the wax figures...

I just hope it will happen.

"Dummy nothin' He was smart enough to scare me"

Sorry, but I have never seen a Sideshow figure that matched the general quality of Hot Toys. I am not knocking Sideshow. Hot Toys just make better figures. I would love to see Sideshow step it up to their quality.

Last edited:
Buy a Joe.

For the most part I don't like the Joe designs, they aren't classic enough for me to buy (though I do plan to purchase a Storm Shadow to slightly modify). But that has nothing to do with their quality. From photos I have seen, their paint jobs aren't nearly as nice as Hot Toys. I am also not a huge fan of Sideshow's new bodies, even though they are a great improvement over the old body. Sideshow's tailoring has always been nice, but still, again, not up to Hot Toys quality for the most part. Maybe the Joe clothing is, they don't look it, but whatever, the Joes aren't a perfect representation of Sideshow 1/6 as a whole. Look at the 1/6 Lando bobblehead (There has been a lot of giant head syndrome over the years).

I have to wonder if you guys even have any Hot Toys, or are just biased because of your love for the Joes. Saying Hot Toys are better than Sideshow isn't some revelation that I just pulled out of a hat. It is a pretty common opinion.

Some of the Joes ARE nice, and a lot of Sideshow's other figures are great. Hell, some of the old UM still hold up well. But just because Sideshow's products are awesome, it doesn't mean there aren't better manufacturers out there. Hot Toys Joes WOULD be better.

Bottom line - I LOVE Sideshow, I am a long time supporter. I just want to see them make even better product. Is there really anything wrong with that?

This is all my opinion though, and of course you guys are entitled to yours as well.

Last edited:
Do you even have any of the original SS Monsters? They are pretty good for the time, and several hold up well today.

Did you even read my entire post?

"Some of the Joes ARE nice, and a lot of Sideshow's other figures are great. Hell, some of the old UM still hold up well."

Not to mention I have their Frankenstein as my freakin' avatar.

I love Sideshow's UM line!

Would I like to see a better Frankenstein paint job? Yes. Would I like to see a Phantom with movable eyes? Yes. Is their Creature so awesome I could care less if I ever saw another 1/6 Creature? Yes!

I am not trying to turn this into a versus thread you guys, so this will be my last post. Read into my posts what you will. If they anger you, get over it, it is all just my opinion, and if you don't agree, that is fine.

Last edited:
Did you even read my entire post?

"Some of the Joes ARE nice, and a lot of Sideshow's other figures are great. Hell, some of the old UM still hold up well."

Not to mention I have their Frankenstein as my freakin' avatar.

I love Sideshow's UM line!

Would I like to see a better Frankenstein paint job? Yes. Would I like to see a Phantom with movable eyes? Yes. Is their Creature so awesome I could care less if I ever saw another 1/6 Creature? Yes!

I am not trying to turn this into a versus thread, so this will be my last post. Read into my posts what you will. If they anger you, get over it, it is all just my opinion, and if you don't agree, that is fine.

I have many HT products in my collection, including their latest TS releases and do believe they're the king of the hill in 1:6, but I also own all the Joes and can draw an accurate and fair comparison between the two companies based on products I actually own and can look at in hand vs. just pictures on the internet... unlike someone else. :rolleyes:

Are you trying to start an argument? :lol

Back on topic. I'm quite happy with the Sideshow UM. Hot Toys would probably improve upon it, but I don't want to have to buy these figures all over again. I know. I don't have to buy them but tell me, who could resist?

I want this so badly I can taste it.

Ygor needs to be first.

I want Henry Frankenstein badly, but I thought there were licensing rights with Colin Clive? And yeah, let's have a SSE Son with new box are or something to protect the value of the original while giving fans a chance to actually own one.

The Costellos are a no brainer.

I realize that monsters are probably the top priority, but I feel like the old line didn't go as deep into heroes or secondary / human characters as it should have. My desire would be to have 2 packs, and in the 2 pack you could even have a reissue or slightly improved figure. Consider something like this:

Henry and the Monster
Pretorious and the burned Monster
Dwight Frye and the Bride
Dracula and Van Helsing
Kay and The Creature
Maleva and the Wolf Man

I really think that there are a number of fan favorites of the supporting cast who would be valued but who might not move figures on their own. An old collector like me really wants Maleva, but a newcomer might wonder why he can't pick up The Wolf Man.

Sideshow *could* try some then and now 2 packs with monsters from stuff like the Sommers films paired with their classic counterparts, but I really don't want that.

I'd like some enviornments-- Dracula's stairs, the Phantom's Organ, Frankenstein's stairs or table.

That all being said, I think that without reissues / supporting cast, the line still has some potential. Ygor is a glaring omission, but if we're looking towards untouched films, here's what springs to my mind: Revenge of the Creature, several Kharis Mummy films, Spanish Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, The Black Cat, The Raven.

Back