12 days of Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to Star Wars, there's enough interest to sell characters from any kind of source. Yet, i'd really appreciate it if Sideshow were to concentrate more on finishing sublines such as rebel soldiers, Bounty hunters or imperial troops instead of giving us figures from multiple material here and there.
As great as Mc Quarrie concept are, we'll most certainly get to see yet another Vader, Fett and Stormtrooper first and it could take (at least) a couple year for those three to land on our shelves. Seeing how Sideshow is handling this scale, gathering a significant set of 7 or 8 concept figures would clearly take us way beyond 2020.

I wonder what the long term strategy is for the Star Wars line as well. It would make so much sense to produce figures that work together. I'm thinking of the remaining bounty hunters. It will be harder to sell a Dengar if the others are sold out and hard to get in the aftermarket. Seems like the emperor's royal guards should have been released along with the emperor and the throne. In addition, I'm sure they have to be thinking of the new movie and I'm sure Disney will want current product on the shelf over the original trilogy. I feel a window is closing and not getting ANY 1/6 previews during the 12 days is not encouraging. We may only see Hoth Han and then nothing until San Diego. The Hoth stuff has been in development for quite some time and was to be introduced in 2012. I hope Sideshow has been developing new 1/6 that the fans have been asking about for years (Dooku, R2-D2, Tarkin, Veers, AT-AT). FIngers crossed we will hear something before the 12 days are up but I think we would have gotten something by now.

I can understand Sideshow doing all these kinds of variations before completing sets. It's a way to keep the SW line fresh. Not everyone out there is a completist and have no desire to get Dengar or other Rebel or Imperial Troops. Trying something like the McQuarrie concept figures is just a way to stir the pot. It gets people talking. It may even attract a new kind of collector who maybe just focused on McQuarrie concept stuff, who you could argue might actually have money to spend on these kinds of collectibles. Maybe that Koto statue of the McQuarrie Vader and Luke fighting sold really well and they're just capitalizing on that.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily defending Sideshow. They do questionable things like flood the marked with clones but then hold out on more obvious figures. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because they are privy to their sales figures. And if they see that the clones sell, but bounty hunters don't, they are going to react accordingly. Boba Fett stayed around for a good year after release. Something unique and well done like the Tusken Raider is still available. My point being that it seems random what sells and what doesn't. Sideshow looks like they are just trying something different to keep it fresh and unpredictable.

As I have said before. There are a number of figures that the are like 90% there. Veers, dengar for a start.

Why are these not out there!!!!

Sideshow need to exploit this as if they start in ep7 etc it could be real slow for them if the new films aren't ace.

...a new kind of collector who maybe just focused on McQuarrie concept stuff

Does this person actually exist? I mean again the McQ stuff is interesting, but was ultimately not good enough to make it on screen. I have a hard time believing someone favours it over the actual characters so much they will buy $150-200 figures of it.

.Boba Fett stayed around for a good year after release.

That figure had two major issues (vest and grossly inaccurate main colour) and the solid Medicom to compete with. I bought one, but had to tediously repaint it before I was satisfied.

Something unique and well done like the Tusken Raider is still available.

Now THAT is the sort of thing that puzzles and worries me.

Bossk and the Tusken Raider are simply outstanding, iconic figures. How they are not sold out at this point is beyond me.

As I have said before. There are a number of figures that the are like 90% there. Veers, dengar for a start.

I think Trevor is their go-to person for accurate human sculpts at the moment. Trev's weakest efforts like TPM Obi-Wan are still better than most. He can only produce so much in a given time. They need to find some of the other talent out there. Joy Snyder could do the Hoth Leia for example.

I just hope the new movies do not ruin this line.

Does this person actually exist? I mean again the McQ stuff is interesting, but was ultimately not good enough to make it on screen. I have a hard time believing someone favours it over the actual characters so much they will buy $150-200 figures of it.

I can imagine there might be some artsy group out there that focuses on the concept stuff because they got bored of the regular movie stuff. They might be more high-brow, highfalutin, overly educated Frasier type that claim they are above "toys" so have focused on the artier aspects of the movie. Hence, the McQ concept focus.

That figure had two major issues (vest and grossly inaccurate main colour) and the solid Medicom to compete with. I bought one, but had to tediously repaint it before I was satisfied.

I'll grant you that.

I like McQuarrie's concept art (I have the McQuarrie eFX Vader and Gentle Giant's minibust line), but I wouldn't go so far as to say I prefer it to what ended up on screen. Star Wars wouldn't be Star Wars without his input, so that is what makes me appreciate collectibles based on his work.

Now THAT is the sort of thing that puzzles and worries me.

Bossk and the Tusken Raider are simply outstanding, iconic figures. How they are not sold out at this point is beyond me.

Because for most people $140-$180 is a lot of change to drop on a 12" figure of a background character. Come out with a mediocre $250 figure of main character and it'll sell better than $170 work of perfection like Bossk, unfortunately.

I was hoping when SS started to at least get out the majority of the vintage figures made, but more and more I'm thinking I'm going to have to go the custom route for a lot of my creatures and aliens.

Because for most people $140-$180 is a lot of change to drop on a 12" figure of a background character. Come out with a mediocre $250 figure of main character and it'll sell better than $170 work of perfection like Bossk, unfortunately.

That is a good point. There are a lot of properties competing for that money for second tier characters. I have made a very conscious decision to put OT Star Wars first, as signified by my recent conversion to the The Church of the One True Walrusman.

I was hoping when SS started to at least get out the majority of the vintage figures made, but more and more I'm thinking I'm going to have to go the custom route for a lot of my creatures and aliens.

Yeah, I have been think about seeing what Enaud has available, to have at least one one more Jabba/skiff guard.

True, I just had to cancel Malgus because of this, he looks awesome but it's getting out of control.

I'd love Nien Nunb or Ree Yees. And you're right Bossk is awesome and I've got to say Hammerhead is one of my all time favourite figures in my collection, even up against some awesome Hot Toys figures I own.

Agreed, some of my fav characters I own are the Sideshow Star Wars aliens (Hammerhead, Greedo, Gammy). To me the quality of figures like Snowtrooper and Tusken Raider is the same as your average Hot Toys.

I won't touch the McQ line. I'd take a sixth scale figure of this over any McQ figure.

14Scout.jpg

I won't touch the McQ line. I'd take a sixth scale figure of this over any McQ figure.

14Scout.jpg

I think most if us would make that choice. I think most of us would take a speeder bike and trooper over Ventriss, Snow Padame, Thrawn, Battle Droids, countless Clone variants, ect. Most of us would also take a Chewbacca figure over a speeder bike and trooper.

The fact of the matter is, Sideshow's had the Star Wars license for a long time now and they continue to give us figures we wouldn't expect along with what we've really wanted.

I'll gladly buy a McQuarrie Vader. It's not going to stop me from buying other figures.

Get the feeling they don't actually want to reveal anything...

:goodpost::exactly:

I haven't really looked at any in Star Wars news but the Star Wars "announcement" was basically that we are going to make ...
Not here's pictures etc.

Back