12" Aragorn Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOTRFan said:
He is the one I am the most worried about, as mentioned mostly due to the hair.

Here is a pic from SDCC, if it looks like this, I will be satisfied. Hey no beard to worry about, and the hair color should be easy enough. :wacky

SanDiegoComicCon2006037.jpg

Matt, I'll be more than happy if he looks like that. I think that the hair on Legolas works better than the one on Qui-Gon, which I'm still not convinced about.

But I'm totally bummed with the delay of these figs, not to mention the extra slow pace... :monkey2

LOTRFan said:
He is the one I am the most worried about, as mentioned mostly due to the hair.

Here is a pic from SDCC, if it looks like this, I will be satisfied. Hey no beard to worry about, and the hair color should be easy enough. :wacky

SanDiegoComicCon2006037.jpg

I dont think we have to worry about the hair.

Yes there's no beard, but there's eyebrows, lips, and eyes that can still be ruined. we shall see.

LOTRFan said:
Here is a pic from SDCC...

Yeah, that looks great. :D I'm onboard with that. The Aragorn I have looks very much like the SDCC pics, so I'm pretty confident that this one, also, should satisfy.

FlyAndFight said:
:cool: Just noticed something cool in that Legolas pic. He's got the blonde hair but the brown eyebrows. That was correctly done.

Actually, Bloom did wear blue contacts for much of the film, but they irritated him, so it was planned to turn his brown eyes blue in post. Some scenes slipped through the cracks, which is why Leggy has "mood eyes." :lol

paulcarson said:
Did you get the exclusive? I'm sure that there are many here ( myself included) who would take it off your hands.

Reg Edition. Its also in the process of being sent back.

Had I ordered an exclusive I think I would have been even more upset (even though the prices are the same).

GL in getting a good Strider.

CPT R. Sharpe said:
It looks nothing like the product I thought Id receive.

The quality is not there. I know whats been said about prototypes and final production figures. But to place a picture on the box of an item that is so much better than what I got, well, back it goes.

I also do not want to "customize" it. I should not have to. None of the pictures posted on this thread from owners of this figure have impressed me. Even the customized ones. So I see no alternative but to return this expensive figure back to SS.

Again just my opinion.

Sadly, I had the same feeling after receiving mine :crying. I was really looking forward to the LOTR 12" line but after holding the Aragorn figure I went ahead and canceled the other LOTR 12" exclusives I had. I guess I'll be sticking to Weta and a few selective PF statues. By the way, if anyone wants the exclusive Aragorn before I return it, let me know.

So my 12" Excl. Strider arrived Thursday, unpacked him on Friday...

I really don't get some people here, excusing Sideshow's practices. "If you're expecting the quality of the production piece to be the same as prototype for this price point, you are an amateur/dumbass." Or "look at what company X managed to do". That's not really the point. I ordered this item based on what it looked like in the prototype. (and something else that annoys me to no end: how can you even attempt to compare Hasbro to Sideshow? Hasbro costs like 30% of what Sideshow figures do So of course there is and should be a difference in quality!)

This is my first ever 12", after collecting 150+ SSW items, owning over 30 of the statues.

I've gone over the 70+ pages on this thread before posting. I'm not a customizer, I don't know if I'm gonna send this to someone to make awesome (custommikey, how much? :)).

For one the Ranger Cloak, how do you guys get the tip to hang down if you pull the hood over his head? Mine sticks up and looks rather ridiculous. Another thing that bugs me apart from the hood is of course the non-weathering of the coat (and tunic underneath!), the thick beard (not so much tho) and lastly the paint job on the sword. There are slears on the blade, as if one paint job was prob not enough but they didn't bother to put on a second layer. The scabbard belt was looped incorrectly. I guess I can reloop it but it's just a bit of hassle to do it and why didn't they get it right in the first place. Also I noticed noone mentioned about the sleeping bag sling... in the prototype and SS pics the knot is 'below' but on pics I've seen posted by members and mine as well, the knot is on top. Which basically means the factory workers glued the sling the wrong side to the bag. Altho I guess in real life it would make more sense for the knot to be on top...

As I don't have Strider statue in SSW format and don't want to spend $650 to get it, I got this one as a compromise. As an action figure it sure is nice. I guess it just is a different format and to be appreciated in a different manner. I know for sure I prefer polystone. As it is, I will be keeping him, I cancelled Legolas Excl and Boromir Excl, but will probably order Faramir (if there is an Excl. depending also on what the Excl is) as there is no Faramir representation in SSW line.

I also got my Excl Lurtz the week previously and he is amazing! No complaints there!

Oh, the strap on the quiver is separated. So I guess I should contact Sideshow customer service and see what they say.

Beren

that's ******* awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :monkey5 :D

how'd u deglossify the coat? sand it or Dullcote? everything looks great. one tiny critique. u have the correct size, shape and placement of the eyebrows, but they kinda look, well, painted or drawn on. this would be kinda hard them being so small, but maybe some tiny vertical stokes would make them look more real rather than the one solid unbroken line. or possible even a lighter brown color, but i think the single stokes would look better. anyway, forget my blathering because u made this piece look like a gem!!

Last edited:
Mookeylama said:
that's ******* awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :monkey5 :D

how'd deglossify the coat? sand it or Dullcote? evrything looks great. one tiny critique. u have the correct size, shape and placement of the eyebrows, but they kinda look, well, painted or drawn on. this would be kinda hard them being so small, but maybe some tiny vertical stokes would make them look more real rather than the one solid unbroken line. or possible even a lighter brown color, but i think the single stokes would look better. anyway, forget my blathering because u made this piece look like a gem!!

Yeah, I noticed the eyebrows when I posted. Your solution is exactly what I plan to do, although I'm going to use slightly darker strokes the closer I get to the center of his face. Thanks for noticing and giving me a great suggestion!

I sprayed the coat with some clear matte acrylic sealer. unfortunately, I think I sprayed on a tad too much, as the coat got sticky and even glossier. So I had to go over it with a clear matte acrylic paint that Model Master makes. Let this be a lesson to everyone to be frugal with that damned spray!!

Well you noted the eyebrows, truth be told those are first things I noticed, I am eager to see how you fix those.

The weathering looks great, do you have plans of posting some form of a tutorial on that?

LOTRFan said:
Well you noted the eyebrows, truth be told those are first things I noticed, I am eager to see how you fix those.

The weathering looks great, do you have plans of posting some form of a tutorial on that?

Damn. Ya miss one little detail......:eek: :rolleyes: :lol

No tutorial for you!!!

Kidding. Light coating of clear matte acrylic sealer (such as Dullcoat), drybrush taupe over everything, using more the lower you get. Then mix some black, taupe, and some water, then flick the mix onto the lower half off the coat. This also works for the boots and the surcoat. Also drybrush some black onto the surcoat. I also did some light gloss effects on the bottom to make it look like there was some water wetness on the bottom part of the coat. Doesn't come through in the pics. Well, not as well as Viggo's plucked eyebrows.:lol

I'll fix those tonight. But I promise not to post ten pics of his eyebrows.

Thanks! It does look good, the work on the clothing is really nice. :D :clap

jlcmsu said:
The coat looks good.

Thanks! I forgot to mentionm that I inserted wire into the hem of the coat and the surcoat to force them to sit right. It's especially good on the surcoat, because I can pose the top of the neck open so that the Evenstar can be seen easier.

I have to say this is, IMO, your best rework of a figure. The paint app. is 100 times better. Truly bringing out the Viggo in the sculpt. The beard looks to be near perfect. I really like what you did with the hair. The added colors make it look much more natural. And the weathering on the figure as a whole is awesome. I love the boots and the mud added to the sword and scabbard. The tunic look much much better. And the coat is exactly the way it shoulod look!!!! Overall I have to say this is what Aragorn should ahve looked like. I really cant say how much Ilove the weathering though!!!!! 5 star effort here!!!

Great job, CM. Really brings out the "Viggo" in the sculpt. Definitely keeping some pics as reference for my 'retouches'... ;)

Thanks for sharing, bud.

Back