1/6th Scale Sideshow Tauntaun

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please inform the moderators if you havent already. We have had a couple people create new IDs to scam others in years past. Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you'll be compensated.

I will. I do not intend to let him do this again. He has been a member since 2011 though. Don’t know if he has other IDs...
I still wanna be a 100% sure he’s really scamming me before I report him.

I will. I do not intend to let him do this again. He has been a member since 2011 though. Don’t know if he has other IDs...
I still wanna be a 100% sure he’s really scamming me before I report him.

Yeah no doubt, life happens. Could be a legit reason.

Besides the usual non-contributions by the usual non-contributors, anyone willing to summarize conclusions drawn by the community on this particular figure?
m.

Besides the usual non-contributions by the usual non-contributors, anyone willing to summarize conclusions drawn by the community on this particular figure?
m.

It’s a great piece. Dare I say it’s my favorite Star Wars piece in my collection. It just screams Empire Strikes Back my favorite movie.

Pros
Beautifully sculpted
Amazing detail
Paint apps outstanding
Interchangeable looks(Han or Luke’s beast)
Nice accessories
Great scale
Easily seats the figure and won’t fall over

Cons
No articulation
Unsightly neck seam
One static pose
Made of polystone so very fragile
Heavy
So large it’s hard to find room for it

All in all amazing to own. I’d never sell it. If someone came out with another version or Sideshow released it again I’d have to think very hard if it was worth an upgrade.

My only regret was not getting it while I had reward points to spend before it sold out.

It’s a great piece. Dare I say it’s my favorite Star Wars piece in my collection. It just screams Empire Strikes Back my favorite movie.

Pros
Beautifully sculpted
Amazing detail
Paint apps outstanding
Nice accessories
Great scale

Cons
No articulation
Unsightly neck seam
One static pose
Heavy

All in all amazing to own. I’d never sell it. If someone came out with another version or Sideshow released it again I’d have to think very hard if it was worth an upgrade.

My only regret was not getting it while I had reward points to spend before it sold out.

Nice summary of pros and cons, but I would add another con - that the feet are not screen accurate.

For some reason Sideshow went with the "fat three toes" feet look that a few companies have gone with, as opposed to the screen accurate "thin four toes" look that for example Hasbro used for their Black Series 6" Tauntaun.

I was going to add “Stylized” to the cons list but I forgot half way through the list. LOL. Thanks for reminding me. I agree about the feet.

I was going to add “Stylized” to the cons list but I forgot half way through the list. LOL. Thanks for reminding me. I agree about the feet.

It's a somewhat odd choice given that even the old Kenner Tauntaun had the four toed style feet, as have most of the Hasbro Tauns over the years.

Sideshow does make some super-strange choices though, and the "artistic interpretation" issue is an old complaint about the company.

100%
They do their own thing when it comes to their products leaving most collectors perplexed and disappointed in their offerings.

Pros
Beautifully sculpted
Amazing detail
Paint apps outstanding
Nice accessories
Great scale

Cons
No articulation
Unsightly neck seam
One static pose
Heavy

Thanks jedijim. Helpful as always.
Regarding accessories, reviews I have read say that they are not really well finished, lacking some snow effect. Do you agree?
Regarding the unsightly seam: do you remember any fix being come up with, beyond the obvious one of covering it with something non-screen-accurate?

Nice summary of pros and cons, but I would add another con - that the feet are not screen accurate.

For some reason Sideshow went with the "fat three toes" feet look that a few companies have gone with, as opposed to the screen accurate "thin four toes" look that for example Hasbro used for their Black Series 6" Tauntaun.

Thanks Talibane!
It is sad SSC are so quirky... :-(

Anything else, anybody?

Best,
m.

Flaws and all I love it. I'm not even that bothered by the neck seam. Don't get me wrong, I wish it wasn't so obvious, but no worse than wrist joints and neck seams on the figures you pose with it.

TdueEjV.jpg

Well I guess you cant see wrist and neck joints on that fig

That con list is a bit contradictory. No articulation and static pose are basically the same thing but if you want that you can't really complain about the neck seam. If the legs moved (which is the only articulation needed since you can change up the head position by swapping them out) then you'd have far worse seams to contend with.

Thanks jedijim. Helpful as always.
Regarding accessories, reviews I have read say that they are not really well finished, lacking some snow effect. Do you agree?
Regarding the unsightly seam: do you remember any fix being come up with, beyond the obvious one of covering it with something non-screen-accurate?

Thanks Talibane!
It is sad SSC are so quirky... :-(

Anything else, anybody?

Best,
m.

I never noticed the lack of snow effect so it doesn’t bother me.

The neck seam I just remember people posing it more forward so it’s not as noticeable. No remedy for that I can remember.

I never noticed the lack of snow effect so it doesn’t bother me.

The neck seam I just remember people posing it more forward so it’s not as noticeable. No remedy for that I can remember.

I think one freak actually sculpted over the seam and did a repaint. Obviously can't swap out the head anymore.

Yeah that neck seam - you have to wonder why they went with a straight seam, and why it couldnt have had a thin/ragged rim of sculpted fur that overhung the join a bit to hide it.

One other con (also visible in the pic above) is the "blowing out birthday candles" look to the face/mouth sculpt on one of the heads...:lol

sideshow-sixth-scale-figure-related-product-tauntaun.jpg

2.jpg

Back