1/6th Scale General Grievous Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooray for properly posed legs!!!

Fine fine fine. Here are some pics.

general_grievous_03.jpg

general_grievous_04.jpg

....... (edit)
Rory, I really like what you did with the sculpting portion of the eyes. I've been unable to get my eyes to separate from the mask. Too afraid to break or snap it now. Any other trick you can recommend? Mine is just glued harder on I think.

I did manage to repaint the fleshy parts of the eyes anyhow as well as tried the back-side painting on the eyes as well. Light's gone now and I'm not 100% sure I'm happy with the results. Have to see in the morning. But I'm leaning strong toward going the textured skin route you've done -- just too smooth as it is, and now that you've shown what is possible I just can't get that out of my head.

Yeah man, I discovered just how flat and textureless the eye area was after I removed the paint. It was a strange choice by SS to be honest, it would have been pretty simple to have some detail there. I added texture underneath the eye and cheek and gave him new top eyelids which in the movie overhang a bit.
It was pretty simple to do with some miliput. Once I got the eye section out. Sorry to hear yours won't come out. Have you tried heating it as well? I let mine get pretty hot (hairdryer) before I started. It didn't look like they were gonna come out, then they popped across the room. I put together a little diagram below to show where I wedged, pryed. The tool you use is pretty important I think, as the piece is very delicate as you know, it needs to be metal and have an edge, i have these sculpting tools which are like little chisels which do the job. A sharp knife edge would do the same thing, if you don't mind potentially losing a finger. Wedge at one point, then another, then another. Not in one go or you could damage the mask.

Hope this helps man,

The sculpting makes it look better, but the eyes overall are big for the size of the mask holes. Its more comparative to the CW Greivous than the cinematic Greivous.

It may just be the closeup, it wasn't that noticable in any other pics I've seen.
You are right Niltusk, but as Wor-Gar pointed out Grievous had very different eye sizes throughout the movie. Having said that though there are a lot of proportional and structural inaccuracies with this figure, the eyeholes in the mask for example are the wrong shape, even though they were right on the proto. Does it matter? No, overall, in hand it rocks? Apart from the pink paint on the eyes that is and a couple of other tiny things. And those pics I posted were not painted AT ALL, the black was just from the sculpting medium I used. Edit: Here are a few WIP painted ones. :duff

These are macro pics. This is obviously really tiny in real life, as you can see from the print/dot matrix on Grievous' face plate. So it was tricky to get detail in the paint, it worked out ok. The eyeballs take varnish fine by the way in case anyone was worried about the gold dusting on the stock eye piece, I thought the varnish might melt that, but it doesn't..

Last edited:
Great shots everyone!
How is his balance? I see a lot of great poses without the stand. I guess he is stable?

Wow, great job Rory, looks so much better! :rock Sideshow should have done this in the first place.

Wish I had your skills.

Yeah man, I discovered just how flat and textureless the eye area was after I removed the paint. It was a strange choice by SS to be honest, it would have been pretty simple to have some detail there. I added texture underneath the eye and cheek and gave him new top eyelids which in the movie overhang a bit.
It was pretty simple to do with some miliput. Once I got the eye section out. Sorry to hear yours won't come out. Have you tried heating it as well? I let mine get pretty hot (hairdryer) before I started. It didn't look like they were gonna come out, then they popped across the room. I put together a little diagram below to show where I wedged, pryed. The tool you use is pretty important I think, as the piece is very delicate as you know, it needs to be metal and have an edge, i have these sculpting tools which are like little chisels which do the job. A sharp knife edge would do the same thing, if you don't mind potentially losing a finger. Wedge at one point, then another, then another. Not in one go or you could damage the mask.

Hope this helps man,

You are right Niltusk, but as Wor-Gar pointed out Grievous had very different eye sizes throughout the movie. Having said that though there are a lot of proportional and structural inaccuracies with this figure, the eyeholes in the mask for example are the wrong shape, even though they were right on the proto. Does it matter? No, overall, in hand it rocks? Apart from the pink paint on the eyes that is and a couple of other tiny things. And those pics I posted were not painted AT ALL, the black was just from the sculpting medium I used. Edit: Here are a few WIP painted ones. :duff

These are macro pics. This is obviously really tiny in real life, as you can see from the print/dot matrix on Grievous' face plate. So it was tricky to get detail in the paint, it worked out ok. The eyeballs take varnish fine by the way in case anyone was worried about the gold dusting on the stock eye piece, I thought the varnish might melt that, but it doesn't..

Thanks man.

Eyes finished. Now back to reality for a while.. :lol

Holy Moly! Man, that's just so awesome. Incredible work, Rory. Looks like that's how it was meant to be, so seemlessly integrated.

I've just got to try this now. I repainted the fleshy area around the eyes and it looks tons better but not as good as your textured lids. It's a marvel how you even did the lid work at this scale -- I mean that fleshy part is so small to sculpt. BRAVO! :clap

Last edited:
Just can't believe how you did this kind of work at this scale on such a minute section of the face. I just can't do it. Hat's off to you -- you have a real talent there, Rory. I'll never be wholly satisifed with my half-arse attempt now.

If you ever cast off that section of eye, count me in.

Back